- •Infraorbital nerve injury induces primary and secondary orofacial hyperalgesia.
- •Cavα2δ1 contributes to the development of secondary orofacial hyperalgesia.
- •Cavα2δ1 mediates secondary orofacial hyperalgesia through PKC-TRPA1/GJ pathway.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Pain
- Changes in expression of voltage-dependent ion channel subunits in dorsal root ganglia of rats with radicular injury and pain.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2002; 27 (1525): 1517-1524
- Trigeminal injury causes kappa opioid-dependent allodynic, glial and immune cell responses in mice.Mol Pain. 2010; 6: 8
- TRPA1 antagonists as potential analgesic drugs.Pharmacol Ther. 2012; 133: 189-204
- Functional exofacially tagged N-type calcium channels elucidate the interaction with auxiliary alpha2delta-1 subunits.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2014; 111: 8979-8984
- The alpha2delta-1-NMDA receptor complex is critically involved in neuropathic pain development and gabapentin therapeutic actions.Cell Rep. 2018; 22: 2307-2321
- Persistent orodental pain, atypical odontalgia, and phantom tooth pain: When are they neuropathic disorders?.J Calif Dent Assoc. 2006; 34: 599-609
- TRPA1 is a candidate for the mechanosensitive transduction channel of vertebrate hair cells.Nature. 2004; 432: 723-730
- Cross-excitation in dorsal root ganglia of nerve-injured and intact rats.J Neurophysiol. 1990; 64: 1733-1746
- Recommendations for the pharmacological management of neuropathic pain: An overview and literature update.Mayo Clin Proc. 2010; 85: S3-S14
- Differential expression of connexins in trigeminal ganglion neurons and satellite glial cells in response to chronic or acute joint inflammation.Neuron Glia Biol. 2008; 4: 295-306
- Gap junctions between cells expressing connexin 43 or 32 show inverse permselectivity to adenosine and ATP.J Biol Chem. 2002; 277: 36725-36730
- Increased thrombospondin-4 after nerve injury mediates disruption of intracellular calcium signaling in primary sensory neurons.Neuropharmacology. 2017; 117: 292-304
- Dual function of the voltage-dependent Ca2+ channel alpha 2 delta subunit in current stimulation and subunit interaction.Neuron. 1996; 16: 431-440
- Pharmacological disruption of calcium channel trafficking by the alpha2delta ligand gabapentin.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2008; 105: 3628-3633
- alpha2delta expression sets presynaptic calcium channel abundance and release probability.Nature. 2012; 486: 122-125
- Coupled activation of primary sensory neurons contributes to chronic pain.Neuron. 2016; 91: 1085-1096
- Central terminal sensitization of TRPV1 by descending serotonergic facilitation modulates chronic pain.Neuron. 2014; 81: 873-887
- TRPA1 contributes to cold, mechanical, and chemical nociception but is not essential for hair-cell transduction.Neuron. 2006; 50: 277-289
- Effectiveness of the association between carbamazepine and peripheral analgesic block with ropivacaine for the treatment of trigeminal neuralgia.J Pain Res. 2010; 3: 201-212
- Calcium channel alpha2delta1 proteins mediate trigeminal neuropathic pain states associated with aberrant excitatory synaptogenesis.J Biol Chem. 2014; 289: 7025-7037
- Intracisternal administration of mitogen-activated protein kinase inhibitors reduced mechanical allodynia following chronic constriction injury of infraorbital nerve in rats.Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2007; 31: 1322-1329
- The orofacial formalin test in the mouse: A behavioral model for studying physiology and modulation of trigeminal nociception.J Pain. 2006; 7: 908-914
- Injury type-specific calcium channel alpha 2 delta-1 subunit up-regulation in rat neuropathic pain models correlates with antiallodynic effects of gabapentin.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2002; 303: 1199-1205
- Protein kinase C modulation of thermo-sensitive transient receptor potential channels: Implications for pain signaling.J Nat Sci Biol Med. 2011; 2: 13-25
- Calcium channel alpha (2)delta subunits-structure and Gabapentin binding.Mol Pharmacol. 2001; 59: 1243-1248
- TRPA1/NOX in the soma of trigeminal ganglion neurons mediates migraine-related pain of glyceryl trinitrate in mice.Brain. 2018; 141: 2312-2328
- Quantitative proteomics of the Cav2 channel nano-environments in the mammalian brain.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010; 107: 14950-14957
- Evidence for a role of protein kinase C in the sustained activation of rat dorsal horn neurons evoked by cutaneous mustard oil application.Neurosci Lett. 1994; 170: 199-202
- The TRPA1 channel in inflammatory and neuropathic pain and migraine.Rev Physiol Biochem Pharmacol. 2014; 167: 1-43
- Dorsal root ganglion neurons show increased expression of the calcium channel alpha2delta-1 subunit following partial sciatic nerve injury.Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2001; 95: 1-8
- Transient receptor potential cation channels in disease.Physiol Rev. 2007; 87: 165-217
- TRPA1 induced in sensory neurons contributes to cold hyperalgesia after inflammation and nerve injury.J Clin Invest. 2005; 115: 2393-2401
- Transition to persistent orofacial pain after nerve injury involves supraspinal serotonin mechanisms.J Neurosci. 2013; 33: 5152-5161
- Phosphorylation of connexin43 induced by Src: Regulation of gap junctional communication between transformed cells.Exp Cell Res. 2007; 313: 4083-4090
- Calcium channel currents in undifferentiated human neuroblastoma (SH-SY5Y) cells: Actions and possible interactions of dihydropyridines and omega-conotoxin.Eur J Neurosci. 1994; 6: 943-952
- Injured versus uninjured afferents: Who is to blame for neuropathic pain?.Anesthesiology. 2005; 103: 221-223
- Nitric oxide, PKC-epsilon, and connexin43 are crucial for ischemic preconditioning-induced chemical gap junction uncoupling.Oncotarget. 2016; 7: 69243-69255
- Gap junctions and connexin expression in the normal and pathological central nervous system.Biol Cell. 2002; 94: 457-475
- A fMRI evaluation of lamotrigine for the treatment of trigeminal neuropathic pain: Pilot study.Pain Med. 2010; 11: 920-941
- Organization of hyperactive microglial cells in trigeminal spinal subnucleus caudalis and upper cervical spinal cord associated with orofacial neuropathic pain.Brain Res. 2012; 1451: 74-86
- The psychosocial and affective burden of posttraumatic neuropathy following injuries to the trigeminal nerve.J Orofac Pain. 2013; 27: 293-303
- Spinal gap junctions: Potential involvement in pain facilitation.J Pain. 2004; 5: 392-405
- Inducible expression of mutant alpha-synuclein decreases proteasome activity and increases sensitivity to mitochondria-dependent apoptosis.Hum Mol Genet. 2001; 10: 919-926
- Recombinant adeno-associated virus serotype 6 (rAAV2/6)-mediated gene transfer to nociceptive neurons through different routes of delivery.Mol Pain. 2009; 5: 52
- Systemic AAV6 delivery mediating RNA interference against SOD1: neuromuscular transduction does not alter disease progression in fALS mice.Mol Ther. 2008; 16: 1018-1025
- TRPA1 mediates trigeminal neuropathic pain in mice downstream of monocytes/macrophages and oxidative stress.Brain. 2016; 139: 1361-1377
- Alteration of the second branch of the trigeminal nerve activity following inferior alveolar nerve transection in rats.Pain. 2004; 111: 323-334
- Neuropathic orofacial pain. Part 2-Diagnostic procedures, treatment guidelines and case reports.Aust Endod J. 2000; 26: 53-63
- Biphasic effects of chronic intrathecal gabapentin administration on the expression of protein kinase C gamma in the spinal cord of neuropathic pain rats.Acta Anaesthesiol Taiwan. 2011; 49: 144-148
- Evaluating the impact of trigeminal neuralgia.Pain. 2017; 158: 1166-1174
- Inhibition of A-Type K+ channels by urotensin-II induces sensory neuronal hyperexcitability through the PKCalpha-ERK pathway.Endocrinology. 2018; 159: 2253-2263
- Gabapentin effects on PKC-ERK1/2 signaling in the spinal cord of rats with formalin-induced visceral inflammatory pain.Plos One. 2015; 10e141142
Authors’ contributions: YX.C. and WQ.C. designed the experiments and wrote the paper; WQ.C., YX.C., F.X., and T.C. carried out most of the experiments and image analysis; L.G., Y.F., XM.H., W.Y., LX.D., and WW.Z. performed the experiments; QL.MY., WL.M., and YQ.W. provided valuable advice on the research. All authors discussed the results and the manuscript.
Disclosures: This study was financially supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (81971056, 31600852, 81771202, 81873101), National Key R&D Program of China (2017YFB0403803), and Development Project of Shanghai Peak Disciplines-Integrated Medicine (20180101).
The authors declare that there is no conflict of interest regarding the publication of this paper.