- •Lagged models were estimated for 665 tertiary care patients with chronic pain.
- •Pain intensity predicts later changes in sleep disturbance.
- •Pain intensity is not associated with future changes in mood symptoms or disability.
- •Symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder and disability predict future changes in pain intensity.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Association of depression and anxiety alone and in combination with chronic musculoskeletal pain in primary care patients.Psychosom Med. 2008; 70: 890-897
- Patient expectations for chronic pain management.J Prim Health Care. 2015; 7: 130-136
- Conceptualizing and treating comorbid chronic pain and PTSD.Pain Res Treat. 2013; (2013)
- Stages of change in readiness to adopt a self-management approach to chronic pain: the moderating role of early-treatment stage progression in predicting outcome.Pain. 2005; 115: 322-331
- Do changes in cognitive factors influence outcome following multidisciplinary treatment for chronic pain? A cross-lagged panel analysis.J Consult Clin Psychol. 2003; 71: 81
- Expectations predict chronic pain treatment outcomes.Pain. 2016; 157: 329-338
- Psychological therapies for the management of chronic pain (excluding headache) in adults.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2020; 8: CD007407
- Predictors of outcome of multidisciplinary treatment in chronic widespread pain: an observational study.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2013; 14: 133
- Core outcome measures for chronic pain clinical trials: IMMPACT recommendations.Pain. 2005; 113: 9-19
- Advancing psychological therapies for chronic pain.F1000Research. 2017; 6: 461
- Transition to chronic pain in men with low back pain: Predictive relationships among pain intensity, disability, and depressive symptoms.Health Psychol. 1998; 17: 421-427
- The Oswestry low back pain disability questionnaire.Physiotherapy. 1980; 66: 271-273
- Patient–provider interactions in the management of chronic pain: current findings within the context of shared medical decision making.Pain Med. 2007; 8: 25-35
- Evidence-informed management of chronic low back pain with functional restoration.Spine J. 2008; 8: 65-69
- The relationship between symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder and pain, affective disturbance and disability among patients with accident and non-accident related pain.Pain. 1996; 66: 207-214
- Physical activity and exercise for chronic pain in adults: An overview of Cochrane reviews.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017; 4: CD011279
- Pain self-management in the process and outcome of multidisciplinary treatment of chronic pain: Evaluation of a stage of change model.J Behav Med. 2003; 26: 417-433
- Depression in chronic back pain patients: Prediction of pain intensity and pain disability in cognitive-behavioral treatment.Psychosomatics. 2010; 51: 130-136
- Intercorrelation and test-retest reliability of the pain disability index (PDI) and the Oswestry disability questionnaire (ODQ) and their correlation with pain intensity in low-back-pain patients.Clin J Pain. 1993; 9: 189-195
- Multidisciplinary bio-psycho-social rehabilitation for chronic low back pain.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2002; (CD 000963)
- Cross-sectional and longitudinal associations of low-back pain and related disability with psychological distress among patients enrolled in the UCLA low-back pain study.J Clin Epidemiol. 2003; 56: 463-471
- Mutual influence of posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms and chronic pain among injured accident survivors: A longitudinal study.J Trauma Stress. 2009; 22: 540-548
- Comparative reliability and validity of chronic pain intensity measures.Pain. 1999; 83: 157-162
- Constructions of chronic pain in doctor–patient relationships: Bridging the communication chasm.Patient Educ Couns. 2004; 52: 297-305
- The PHQ-9: Validity of a brief depression severity measure.J Gen Intern Med. 2001; 16: 606-613
- The patient health questionnaire anxiety and depression scale (PHQ-ADS): Initial validation in three clinical trials.Psychosom Med. 2016; 78: 716
- Complaining about chronic pain.Soc Sci Med. 1999; 49: 1663-1676
- Treat the patient, not the pain: Using a multidimensional assessment tool to facilitate patient-centered chronic pain care.J Gen Intern Med. 2018; 33: 1235-1238
- Number and type of post-traumatic stress disorder symptom domains are associated with patient-reported outcomes in patients with chronic pain.J Pain. 2018; 19: 506-514
- Longitudinal associations between depression, anxiety, pain, and pain-related disability in chronic pain patients.Psychosom Med. 2015; 77: 333-341
- Duloxetine for treating painful neuropathy, chronic pain or fibromyalgia.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; 1: CD007115
- Disrupted sleep patterns and daily functioning in patients with chronic pain.Pain Res Manag. 2002; 7: 75-79
- Mood and anxiety disorders associated with chronic pain: An examination in a nationally representative sample.Pain. 2003; 106: 127-133
- Pregabalin for acute and chronic pain in adults.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2009; : CD007076
- Patients' perceptions of their pain condition across a multidisciplinary pain management program: Do they change and if so does it matter?.Clin J Pain. 2007; 23: 558-564
- Mplus Statistical Modeling Software (Version 6.12).Muthén & Muthén, Los Angeles2011
- Does sleep quality predict pain-related disability in chronic pain patients? The mediating roles of depression and pain severity.Pain. 2007; 127: 243-252
- The impact of anxiety and depression on the outcomes of chronic low back pain multidisciplinary pain management—A multicenter prospective cohort study in pain clinics with one-year follow-up.Pain Med. 2018; 20: 736-746
- A systematic review of psychological factors as predictors of chronicity/disability in prospective cohorts of low back pain.Spine. 2002; 27: E109-E120
- The primary care PTSD screen (PC-PTSD): Development and operating characteristics.Prim Care Psychiatr. 2003; 9: 9-14
- Naturalistic changes in insomnia symptoms and pain in temporomandibular joint disorder: A cross-lagged panel analysis.Pain. 2010; 149: 325-331
- The reciprocal associations between catastrophizing and pain outcomes in patients being treated for neuropathic pain: a cross-lagged panel analysis study.Pain. 2016; 157: 1946-1953
- Survey of primary-care providers on perceived benefits of and barriers to PainTracker.J Nurse Pract. 2014; 10: 781-786
- Beneficial effects of improvement in depression, pain catastrophizing, and anxiety on pain outcomes: A 12-month longitudinal analysis.J Pain. 2016; 17: 215-222
- Predicting factors of outcome in multidisciplinary treatment of chronic neuropathic pain.J Pain Res. 2018; 11: 2433-2443
- A brief measure for assessing generalized anxiety disorder: The GAD-7.Arch Intern Med. 2006; 166: 1092-1097
- Longitudinal interactions of pain and posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms in US Military service members following blast exposure.J Pain. 2014; 15: 1023-1032
- Psychological therapies for the management of chronic pain.Psychol Res Behav Manag. 2014; 7: 115-124
- Common chronic pain conditions in developed and developing countries: Gender and age differences and comorbidity with depression-anxiety disorders.J Pain. 2008; 9: 883-891
Disclosures: Dr. Sturgeon is a scientific advisory board consultant for TribeRx. Dr. Sullivan reports grants from Pfizer, personal fees from Revon, personal fees from Aetna, personal fees from Chrono Therapeutics, personal fees from State of Maryland, Attorney General, outside the submitted work. The authors have no other conflicts of interest or interests to disclose.