- •Treatment effects based on alternative ecological momentary assessments (EMA) indices of pain intensity were compared.
- •Over 1 million EMA pain intensity ratings over 20+ weeks of treatment were analyzed.
- •Multiple EMA pain indices detected treatment effects in pain clinical trials.
- •Changes in all EMA indices were associated with patient global impression of change.
- •Alternative pain indices may inform understanding of clinical trial outcomes.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The value of measuring variability in osteoarthritis pain.J Rheumatol. 2007; 34: 2132-2133
- Efficacy of duloxetine in patients with fibromyalgia: Pooled analysis of 4 placebo-controlled clinical trials.Primary Care Comp J Clin Psychiatry. 2009; 11: 237
- Efficacy and safety of milnacipran 100 mg/day in patients with fibromyalgia: Results of a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Arthritis Rheum. 2010; 62: 2745-2756
- The brief pain inventory and its "pain at its worst in the last 24 hours" item: Clinical trial endpoint considerations.Pain Med. 2010; 11: 337-346
- Rhythmic variations in pain, stiffness, and manual dexterity in hand osteoarthritis.Ann Rheum Dis. 2002; 61: 1075-1080
- Cut-off points for mild, moderate, and severe pain on the visual analogue scale for pain in patients with chronic musculoskeletal pain.PAIN. 2014; 155: 2545-2550
- Can End-of-day reports replace momentary assessment of pain and fatigue?.J Pain. 2009; 10: 274-281
- The accuracy of pain and fatigue items across different reporting periods.Pain. 2008; 139: 146-157
- Milnacipran for the treatment of fibromyalgia in adults: A 15-week, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multiple-dose clinical trial.Clin Ther. 2008; 30: 1988-2004
- Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences.Lawrence Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ1988
- The number needed to treat: A clinically useful measure of treatment effect.BMJ. 1995; 310: 452
- Milnacipran for pain in fibromyalgia in adults.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; 2015: CD008244https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD008244.pub3
- Reliabilities of intraindividual variability indicators with autocorrelated longitudinal data: Implications for longitudinal study designs.Multivar Behav Res. 2018; 53: 502-520
- Core outcome measures for chronic pain clinical trials: IMMPACT recommendations.Pain. 2005; 113: 9-19
- Considerations for improving assay sensitivity in chronic pain clinical trials: IMMPACT recommendations.Pain. 2012; 153: 1148-1158
- Interpreting the clinical importance of treatment outcomes in chronic pain clinical trials: IMMPACT recommendations.J Pain. 2008; 9: 105-121
- The clinical importance of changes in the 0 to 10 numeric rating scale for worst, least, and average pain intensity: Analyses of data from clinical trials of duloxetine in pain disorders.J Pain. 2010; 11: 109-118
- Effect of variability in the 7-day baseline pain diary on the assay sensitivity of neuropathic pain randomized clinical trials: An ACTTION study.Pain. 2014; 155: 1622-1631
- Clinical importance of changes in chronic pain intensity measured on an 11-point numerical pain rating scale.Pain. 2001; 94: 149-158
- Neurotransmitters in nociceptive modulatory circuits.Annu Rev Neurosci. 1991; 14: 219-245
- Assessment of chronic pain: Domains, methods, and mechanisms.J Pain. 2016; 17: T10-T20
- Characterization and consequences of pain variability in individuals with fibromyalgia.Arthritis Rheum. 2005; 52: 3670-3674
- Single vs composite measures of pain intensity: Relative sensitivity for detecting treatment effects.Pain. 2013; 154: 534-538
- Measuring outcomes in pain clinical trials: The importance of empirical support for measure selection.Clin J Pain. 2014; 30: 744-748
- Self-report scales and procedures for assessing pain in adults.in: Turk DC Melzack R Handbook of Pain Assessment. Guilford Press, New York, NY2001: 15-34
- Assessment of pain: A community-based diary survey in the USA.Lancet. 2008; 371: 1519-1525
- A systematic review of measures used to assess chronic musculoskeletal pain in clinical and randomized controlled clinical trials.J Pain. 2007; 8: 906-913
- An index of local sensitivity to nonignorable drop‐out in longitudinal modelling.Stat Med. 2005; 24: 2129-2150
- The efficacy and safety of milnacipran for treatment of fibromyalgia. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.J Rheumatol. 2009; 36: 398-409
- Investigating intraindividual pain variability: Methods, applications, issues, and directions.Pain. 2019; 160: 2415-2429
Muthén LK, Muthén BO: Mplus User's Guide. Los Angeles, CA: Muthén & Muthén, 1998-2017.
- A note on a general definition of the coefficient of determination.Biometrika. 1991; 78: 691-692
- Sequential analyses of daily symptoms in women with fibromyalgia syndrome.J Pain. 2011; 12: 84-93
- The effects of delta wave sleep interruption on pain thresholds and fibromyalgia-like symptoms in healthy subjects; Correlations with insulin-like growth factor I.J Rheumatol. 1998; 25: 1180-1186
- What affects the completion of ecological momentary assessments in chronic pain research? An individual patient data meta-analysis.J Med Internet Res. 2019; 21: e11398
- Hierarchical Linear Models.Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA2002
- Using the delta method for approximate interval estimation of parameter functions in SEM.Struct Equation Model. 2004; 11: 621-637
- Memories of colonoscopy: A randomized trial.Pain. 2003; 104: 187-194
- Alpha sleep characteristics in fibromyalgia.Arth Rheum. 2001; 44: 222-230
- Missing data: Our view of the state of the art.Psychol Methods. 2002; 7: 147-177
Schneider S, Junghaenel DU, Broderick JE, Ono M, May M, Stone AA: Indices of pain intensity derived from ecological momentary assessments and their relationships with patient functioning: An indivdiual patient data meta-analysis. J Pain, (under review)
- Individual differences in the day-to-day variability of pain, fatigue, and well-being in patients with rheumatic disease: Associations with psychological variables.Pain. 2012; 153: 813-822
- Temporal dynamics of pain: An application of regime-switching models to ecological momentary assessments in patients with rheumatic diseases.Pain. 2018; 159: 1346-1358
- Distinguishing between frequency and intensity of health-related symptoms from diary assessments.J Psychosom Res. 2014; 77: 205-212
- Sleep, psychological distress, and stress arousal in women with fibromyalgia.Res Nurs Health. 1997; 20: 247-257
- Ecological momentary assessment.Annu Rev Clin Psychol. 2008; 4: 1-32
- Pain intensity rating training: Results from an exploratory study of the ACTTION PROTECCT system.Pain. 2016; 157: 1056-1064
- A comparison of the assay sensitivity of average and worst pain intensity in pharmacologic trials: An ACTTION systematic review and meta-analysis.J Pain. 2018; 19: 953-960
- Climatic and geographic temporal patterns of pain in the multicenter study of hydroxyurea.Pain. 2009; 146: 91-98
Stone AA, Broderick JE, Goldman RE, Junghaenel DU, Bolton A, May M, Schneider S: Indices of pain intensity derived from ecological momentary assessments: Rationale and stakeholder interviews. J Pain, (under review)
- Expanding options for developing outcome measures from momentary assessment data.Psychosom Med. 2012; 74: 387-397
- Validity of average, minimum, and maximum end-of-day recall assessments of pain and fatigue.Contemp Clin Trials. 2010; 31: 483-490
- Single-day pain assessments as clinical outcomes: not so fast.Clin J Pain. 2014; 30: 739-743
- Variability of momentary pain predicts recall of weekly pain: A consequence of the peak (or salience) memory heuristic.Pers Soc Psychol Bull. 2005; 31: 1340-1346
- Markov chain evaluation of acute postoperative pain transition states.Pain. 2016; 157: 717-728
- An index of local sensitivity to nonignorability.Stat Sin. 2004; : 1221-1237
US Department of Health and Human Services Food and Drug Administration: Guidance for industry: Analgesic indications: Developing drug and biological products. Available at:https://www.fda.gov/downloads/drugs/guidancecomplianceregulatoryinformation/guidances/ucm384691.pdf. Accessed April 26, 2019.
- Measuring the impact of nonignorable missingness using the R package isni.Comput Methods Programs Biomed. 2018; 164: 207-220
Conflict of interest: A.A.S. is a Senior Scientist with the Gallup Organization and a consultant with IQVIA and Adelphi Values, Inc. The remaining authors have no conflict of interest to declare.
This work was supported by a grant from the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (R01 AR066200; A.A.S. and S.S., principal investigators).