- •Sensory and psychologic predictors of shoulder outcomes were investigated in a high-risk phenotype.
- •First pulse thermal pain sensitivity predicted resting pain intensity and movement evoked pain.
- •Pressure pain threshold and fear of pain improved prediction of shoulder disability.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Prediction of persistent musculoskeletal pain at 12 months: A secondary analysis of the optimal screening for prediction of referral and outcome (OSPRO) validation cohort study.Phys Ther. 2018; 98: 290-301
- Low back pain subgroups using fear-avoidance model measures: Results of a cluster analysis.Clin J Pain. 2012; 28: 658
- The importance of gender on myokinetic deficits before and after microinjury.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2000; 32: 891-896
- The effects of muscle fatigue on shoulder joint position sense.Am J Sports Med. 1998; 26: 262-265
- Exercise-induced muscle damage in humans.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2002; 81: S52-S69
- Pain sensitivity and pain catastrophizing are associated with persistent pain and disability after lumbar spine surgery.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2015; 96: 1763-1770
- Self-care behaviors for muscle pain.J Pain. 2004; 5: 521-527
- Sex differences in delayed onset muscle pain.Clin J Pain. 2005; 21: 120-126
- Sex differences in delayed onset muscle soreness.J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2003; 43: 78
- The phenotypic and genetic signatures of common musculoskeletal pain conditions.Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2013; 9: 340
- Patient phenotyping in clinical trials of chronic pain treatments: IMMPACT recommendations.Pain. 2016; 157: 1851-1871
- Research agenda for the prevention of pain and its impact: Report of the work group on the prevention of acute and chronic pain of the Federal Pain Research Strategy.J Pain. 2018; 19: 837-851
- Psychological predictors of recovery from low back pain: A prospective study.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2015; 16: 49
- Optimal screening for prediction of referral and outcome (OSPRO) for musculoskeletal pain conditions: Results from the validation cohort.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2018; 48: 460-475
- Biopsychosocial influence on exercise-induced delayed onset muscle soreness at the shoulder: Pain catastrophizing and catechol-o-methyltransferase (COMT) diplotype predict pain ratings.Clin J Pain. 2008; 24: 793
- Biopsychosocial influence on exercise-induced injury: Genetic and psychological combinations are predictive of shoulder pain phenotypes.J Pain. 2014; 15: 68-80
- Inflammatory genes and psychological factors predict induced shoulder pain phenotype.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2014; 46: 1871
- Biopsychosocial influence on shoulder pain: Rationale and protocol for a pre-clinical trial.Contemp Clin Trials. 2017; 56: 9-17
- Evidence for a biopsychosocial influence on shoulder pain: Pain catastrophizing and catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) diplotype predict clinical pain ratings.Pain. 2008; 136: 53-61
- Biopsychosocial influence on shoulder pain: Risk subgroups translated across preclinical and clinical prospective cohorts.Pain. 2015; 156: 148
- Quantitative Sensory Testing (QST) and predicting outcomes for musculoskeletal pain, disability and negative affect: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Pain. 2019; 160: 1920
- The disabilities of the arm, shoulder and hand (DASH) outcome questionnaire: Longitudinal construct validity and measuring self-rated health change after surgery.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2003; 4: 1
- Pain assessment.Eur Spine J. 2006; 15: S17-S24
- The REDCap consortium: Building an international community of software platform partners.J Biomed Inform. 2019; 95103208
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap)—A metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381
- Psychosocial influences on low back pain, disability, and response to treatment.Phys Ther. 2011; 91: 712-721
- Relieving Pain in America: A Blueprint for Transforming Prevention, Care, Education, and Research.National Academies Press (US), Washington, DC2011
- The number of ratings needed for valid pain assessment in clinical trials: Replication and extension.Pain Med. 2015; 16: 1764-1772
- Increasing the reliability and validity of pain intensity measurement in chronic pain patients.Pain. 1993; 55: 195-203
- Comparative reliability and validity of chronic pain intensity measures.Pain. 1999; 83: 157-162
- The use of multiple-item scales for pain intensity measurement in chronic pain patients.Pain. 1996; 67: 35-40
- The Patient Health Questionnaire somatic, anxiety, and depressive symptom scales: A systematic review.Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2010; 32: 345-359
- Fear of Pain Questionnaire-9: Brief assessment of pain-related fear and anxiety.Eur J Pain. 2018; 22: 39-48
- Pain-related fear and catastrophizing predict pain intensity and disability independently using an induced muscle injury model.J Pain. 2012; 13: 370-378
- Lack of both sex differences and influence of resting blood pressure on muscle pain intensity.Clin J Pain. 2002; 18: 386-393
- Biopsychosocial influences on shoulder pain: Analyzing the temporal ordering of post-operative recovery.J Pain. 2019; 21: 808-819
- The pain catastrophizing scale: Development and validation.Psychol Assess. 1995; 7: 524
- Investigation of central pain processing in post-operative shoulder pain and disability.Clin J Pain. 2014; 30: 775
- Suprathreshold heat pain response is associated with clinical pain intensity for patients with shoulder pain.J Pain. 2011; 12: 133-140
- Investigation of central pain processing in shoulder pain: Converging results from 2 musculoskeletal pain models.J Pain. 2012; 13: 81-89
- The effects of muscle fatigue on and the relationship of arm dominance to shoulder proprioception.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1996; 23: 348-352
- United States national pain strategy for population research: Concepts, definitions, and pilot data.J Pain. 2016; 17: 1068-1080
- Psychometric properties of the TSK-11: A shortened version of the Tampa Scale for Kinesiophobia.Pain. 2005; 117: 137-144
MDB, WHG III, RS, MRW, PAB, RBF, and SZG were supported by funding from the National Institutes of Health (NIAMS AR055899). Some aspects of the study protocol were conducted at the University of Florida Clinical and Translational Science Institute, which is supported in part by NIH National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences UL1TR001427. Study data were collected and managed using REDCap electronic data capture tools hosted at the University of Florida. KAB received support from the NIH T-32 Neuromuscular Plasticity Pre-Doctoral Fellowship (NIH T32 HD 043730), the NIH Division of Loan Repayment (NIH Loan Repayment Award 2019-2021), the Foundation for Physical Therapy Research Promotion of Doctoral Studies Level I and II Scholarships, the International Chapter of the P.E.O. Sisterhood Scholar Award, and the Brooks-PHHP Research Collaboration.
The authors have no conflicts of interest to disclose.