- •Temporal summation of second pain (TSSP) is linked to central sensitization.
- •Affective touch (AT) decreases TSSP, while discriminative touch does not.
- •Also, higher body awareness is linked with higher pain during discriminative touch.
- •The mechanisms underpinning AT could prove useful against chronic pain.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Temporal summation of second pain: Variability in responses to a fixed protocol.Eur J Pain (United Kingdom) Eur J Pain. 2013; 17: 67-74
- Touch receptor-derived sensory information alleviates acute pain signaling and fine-tunes nociceptive reflex coordination.Neuron Cell Press;. 2017; 93: 179-193
- Pain sensitisation in osteoarthritis.Clin Exp Rheumatol Clin Experimental Rheumatol S.A.S. 2017; 35: S68-S74
- Assessment and manifestation of central sensitisation across different chronic pain conditions.Eur J Pain. 2018; 22: 216-241
- Altered central sensitization and pain modulation in the CNS in chronic joint pain.Curr Osteoporos Rep Curr Med Group LLC. 2015; 1: 225-234
- Dopamine and pain sensitivity: Neither sulpiride nor acute phenylalanine and tyrosine depletion have effects on thermal pain sensations in healthy volunteers.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e80766
- Feeling good: on the role of C fiber mediated touch in interoception.Exp. Brain Res Exp Brain Res. 2010; 207: 149-155
- Oxytocin and pain perception: From animal models to human research.Neuroscience. 2018: 149-161
Braz J, Solorzano C, Wang X, Basbaum AI: Transmitting pain and itch messages: A contemporary view of the spinal cord circuits that generate gate control. Neuron 522–536, 82, 2014
- The role of N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptors in wind-up: A mathematical model.Math Med Biol A J IMA Oxford Acad. 1996; 13: 193-205
- Assessing body awareness and autonomic reactivity: Factor structure and psychometric properties of the Body Perception Questionnaire-Short Form (BPQ-SF).Int J Methods Psychiatr Res. 2018; 27: e1596
- Mechanisms of neuropathic pain.Neuron. 2006; 52: 77-92
- Is tactile acuity altered in people with chronic pain? A systematic review and meta-analysis.J Pain. 2014; 15: 985-1000
- Effectiveness of body awareness interventions in fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome: A systematic review and meta-analysis.J Bodyw Mov Ther Churchill Livingstone. 2015; 19: 35-56
- Effective connectivity among brain regions associated with slow temporal summation of C-fiber-evoked pain in fibromyalgia patients and healthy controls.J Pain. 2012; 13: 390-400
- Pain modulation by illusory body rotation: A new way to disclose the interaction between the vestibular system and pain processing.Eur J Pain (United Kingdom). 2020; 24: 1119-1129
- Low-threshold primary afferent drive onto GABAergic interneurons in the superficial dorsal horn of the mouse.J Neurosci. 2009; 29: 686-695
- Neurophysiologic evidence for a central sensitization in patients with fibromyalgia.Arthritis Rheum. 2003; 48: 1420-1429
Dickenson AH: Spinal cord pharmacology of pain. BJA Br J Anaesth 75:193–200, 1995"?>
- Identification of spinal circuits transmitting and gating mechanical pain.Cell Cell Press. 2014; 159: 1417-1432
- Central pain syndrome.StatPearls. 2020 (Available at:)Accessed February 3, 2021.)
Fingleton C, Smart K, Moloney N, Fullen BM, Doody C: Pain sensitization in people with knee osteoarthritis: A systematic review and meta-analysis. OsteoarthrCartil 23, 2015, 1043–1056.
- Neglect-like symptoms in complex regional pain syndrome: Results of a self-administered survey.J Pain Symptom Manage Elsevier. 1999; 18: 213-217
- Body awareness therapy for patients with fibromyalgia and chronic pain.Disabil Rehabil Disabil Rehabil. 2005; 27: 725-728
- Evidence for distorted mental representation of the hand in osteoarthritis.Rheumatology. 2015; 54: 678-682
Gursul D, Goksan S, Hartley C, Mellado GS, Moultrie F, Hoskin A, Adams E, Hathway G, Walker S, McGlone F, Slater R: Stroking modulates noxious-evoked brain activity in human infants. CurrBiol 128, 2018, R1380–R1381.
- Low threshold unmyelinated mechanoafferents can modulate pain.BMC Neurol BioMed Central. 2017; 17: 184
- A spatiotemporal signature of cortical pain relief by tactile stimulation: An MEG study.Neuroimage. 2016; 130: 175-183
- Temporal analysis of cortical mechanisms for pain relief by tactile stimuli in humans.Cereb. Cortex. 2006 (Available at:)Accessed February 3, 2021.)
JASP team: JASP (Version 0.12.2) [Computer software]. 2020. Available at: https://jasp-stats.org. Accessed February 3, 2021.
- Widespread pain in fibromyalgia is related to a deficit of endogenous pain inhibition.Pain. 2005; 114: 295-302
- The pathways of interoceptive awareness.Nat Neurosci NIH Public Access. 2009; 12: 1494-1496
- Affective touch and attachment style modulate pain: A laser-evoked potentials study.Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2016; 371
- Central sensitization: A generator of pain hypersensitivity by central neural plasticity.J Pain. 2009; 10: 895-926
- Altered C-tactile processing in human dynamic tactile allodynia.Pain. 2013; 154: 227-234
- Discriminative and affective touch in human experimental tactile allodynia.Neurosci Lett. 2014; 563: 75-79
- Tactile C fibers and their contributions to pleasant sensations and to tactile allodynia.Front Behav Neurosci Frontiers Media SA;. 2014; 8: 37
- Slow brushing reduces heat pain in humans.Eur J Pain. 2017; 21: 1173-1185
- Coding of pleasant touch by unmyelinated afferents in humans.Nat Neurosci. 2009; 12: 547-548
- Role of distorted body image in pain.Curr Rheumatol Rep. 2007; 9: 488-496
- A specific inhibitory pathway between substantia gelatinosa neurons receiving direct C-fiber input.J Neurosci. 2003; 23: 8752-8758
- Iannetti GDD: Touch inhibits subcortical and cortical nociceptive responses.Pain Lippincott Williams Wilkins. 2015; 156: 1936-1944
- Visual distortion of body size modulates pain perception.Psychol Sci. 2011; 22: 325-330
- Pain relief by touch: A quantitative approach.Pain. 2014; 155: 635-642
Martini M: Real, rubber or virtual: The vision of “one's own” body as a means for pain modulation. A narrative review. Conscious. Cogn. Academic Press Inc.; pp 143–512, 2016. Available at: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27295559/. Accessed February 3, 2021.
- The body fades away: Investigating the effects of transparency of an embodied virtual body on pain threshold and body ownership.Sci Rep. 2015; 5: 13948
- What color is my arm? Changes in skin color of an embodied virtual arm modulates pain threshold.Front Hum Neurosci. 2013; 7: 438
- Decreasing pain ratings in chronic arm pain through changing a virtual body: different strategies for different pain types.J Pain. 2019; 20: 685-697
- Discriminative touch and emotional touch.Can J Exp Psychol. 2007; 61: 173-183
- Discriminative and affective touch: Sensing and feeling.Neuron Elsevier. 2014; 82: 737-755
- Body awareness: Construct and self-report measures.PLoS One. 2009; 4 (Available at:) (Accessed February 3, 2021.)
- Pain mechanisms: A new theory.Science. 1965; 150: 971-978
- Theories of pain: From specificity to gate control.J Neurophysiol. 2013; 109: 5-12
- Distorted body image in complex regional pain syndrome.Neurology. 2005; 65: 773
- Cortical interactions and integration of nociceptive and non-nociceptive somatosensory inputs in humans.Neuroscience. 2007; 150: 72-81
- Mechanical allodynia in human glabrous skin mediated by low-threshold cutaneous mechanoreceptors with unmyelinated fibres.Exp Brain Res. 2013; 231: 139-151
- Allodynia mediated by C-tactile afferents in human hairy skin.J Physiol. 2011; 589: 4065-4075
- Modulation of perception and neurophysiological correlates of brief CO2 laser stimuli in humans using concurrent large fiber stimulation.Somatosens Mot Res Somatosens Mot Res. 2003; 20: 139-147
Nijs J, Meeus M, Van Oosterwijck J, Roussel N, De Kooning M, Ickmans K, Matic M: Treatment of central sensitization in patients with “unexplained” chronic pain: What options do we have. Expert Opin. Pharmacother. Taylor & Francis; pp 1087–1098, 2011. Available at: https://www.tandfonline.com/. Accessed February 3, 2021.
- Low-threshold mechanoreceptive and nociceptive units with unmyelinated (C) fibres in the human supraorbital nerve.J Physiol. 1990; 426: 229-240
- Hyperalgesia and temporal summation of pain after heat injury in man.Pain. 1998; 74: 189-197
- On the generalised embodiment of pain: How interoceptive sensitivity modulates cutaneous pain perception.Pain. 2012; 153: 1680-1686
- Analgesic effects of multisensory illusions in osteoarthritis.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2011; 50: 2314-2315
- Characteristics of second pain and flexion reflexes indicative of prolonged central summation.Exp Neurol. 1972; 37: 371-387
- Peripheral suppression of first pain and central summation of second pain evoked by noxious heat pulses.Pain. 1977; 3: 57-68
- The N-methyl-d-aspartate receptor antagonist dextromethorphan selectively reduces temporal summation of second pain in man.Pain. 1994; 59: 165-174
- Temporal summation of heat pain in temporomandibular disorder patients.J Oral Facial Pain Headache NIH Public Access. 2009; 23: 54-64
- Differential responses of nociceptive vs. non-nociceptive spinal dorsal horn neurones to cutaneously applied vibration in the cat.Pain. 1990; 40: 311-322
- Physiological characteristics of responses of wide dynamic range spinal neurones to cutaneously applied vibration in the cat.Brain Res Elsevier. 1990; 507: 69-84
- Cutaneous C-fiber pain abnormalities of fibromyalgia patients are specifically related to temporal summation.Pain. 2008; 139: 315-323
- Brain activity associated with slow temporal summation of C-fiber evoked pain in fibromyalgia patients and healthy controls.Eur J Pain NIH Public Access. 2008; 12: 1078-1089
- Brain activity associated with slow temporal summation of C-fiber evoked pain in fibromyalgia patients and healthy controls.Eur J Pain. 2008; 12: 1078-1089
- Brain activity related to temporal summation of C-fiber evoked pain.Pain NIH Public Access. 2007; 129: 130-142
Staud R, Craggs JG, Robinson ME, Perlstein WM, Price DD: Brain activity related to temporal summation of C-fiber evoked pain.
- Advanced continuous-contact heat pulse design for efficient temporal summation of second pain (windup).J Pain. 2006; 7: 575-582
- Temporal summation of second pain and its maintenance are useful for characterizing widespread central sensitization of fibromyalgia patients.J Pain. 2007; 8: 893-901
- Abnormal sensitization and temporal summation of second pain (wind-up) in patients with fibromyalgia syndrome.Pain. 2001; 91: 165-175
- Cortical inhibition of laser pain and laser-evoked potentials by non-nociceptive somatosensory input. Acsády L, editor.Eur J Neurosci Blackwell Publishing Ltd. 2015; 42: 2407-2414
- Neuronal circuitry for pain processing in the dorsal horn.Nat Rev Neurosci Europe PMC Funders. 2010; 11: 823-836
- Sensing the body in chronic pain: A review of psychophysical studies implicating altered body representation.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2015; 52: 221-232
- Laser evoked potential amplitude and laser-pain rating reduction during high-frequency non-noxious somatosensory stimulation.Clin Neurophysiol. 2018; 129: 920-925
- A system of unmyelinated afferents for innocuous mechanoreception in the human skin.Brain Res. 1993; 628: 301-304
- Unmyelinated afferents constitute a second system coding tactile stimuli of the human hairy skin.J Neurophysiol. 1999; 81: 2753-2763
- Receptive field characteristics of tactile units with myelinated afferents in hairy skin of human subjects.J Physiol. 1995; 483: 783-795
- Spinal cord stimulation in chronic pain.Spine (Phila Pa 1976) Lippincott Williams and Wilkins. 2017; 42: S53-S60
- Using TENS for pain control: The state of the evidence.. Pain Manag. 2014; 4: 197-209
- Edinburgh Handedness Inventory - Short Form: A revised version based on confirmatory factor analysis.Laterality. 2014; 19: 164-177
- Painful diabetic neuropathy: Epidemiology, natural history, early diagnosis, and treatment options.Pain Med. 2008; 9: 660
- Characteristics of temporal summation of second pain sensations elicited by brief contact of glabrous kkin by a preheated thermode.J Neurophysiol. 1997; 78: 992-1002
- Cognitive modulation of pain: How do attention and emotion influence pain processing?.Pain. 2002; 95: 195-199
Walker SC, Trotter PD, Swaney WT, Marshall A, Mcglone FP: C-tactile afferents: Cutaneous mediators of oxytocin release during affiliative tactile interactions?. Neuropeptides. 64, 2017, 27–38.
- Brain activation upon selective stimulation of cutaneous C- and Aδ-fibers.Neuroimage. 2008; 41: 1372-1381
- The pain system. The neural basis of nociceptive transmission in the mammalian nervous system.Pain Headache. 1985; 8: 1-346
- Sensory Mechanisms of the Spinal Cord : Volume 1 Primary Afferent Neurons and the Spinal Dorsal Horn.Springer US, 2004
- Central sensitization: Implications for the diagnosis and treatment of pain.Pain. 2011; 152: S2-S15
- The induction and maintenance of central sensitization is dependent on N-methyl-d-aspartic acid receptor activation; implications for the treatment of post-injury pain hypersensitivity states.Pain. 1991; 44: 293-299
- Vibration reduces thermal pain in adjacent dermatomes.Pain. 1997; 69: 75-77
Conflicts of Interest: This research has been supported by UEL Research Capital Fund. All authors declared no potential conflict of interest with respect, authorship, and\or publication of this article.