- •Testing the brain´s gray matter volume (GMV) in temporomandibular disorder (TMD).
- •TMD patients showed a reduction of GMV in anterior cingulate and med. frontal cortex.
- •GMV in population based participants with chronic face pain showed no reduction.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Chronic back pain is associated with decreased prefrontal and thalamic gray matter density.J Neurosci. 2004; 24: 10410-10415https://doi.org/10.1523/JNEUROSCI.2541-04.2004
- A fast diffeomorphic image registration algorithm.Neuroimage. 2007; 38: 95-113https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2007.07.007
- Association between temporomandibular disorders and pain in other regions of the body.J Oral Rehabil. 2017; 44: 9-15https://doi.org/10.1111/joor.12457
- Gray matter alterations in chronic pain: A network-oriented meta-analytic approach.NeuroImage Clin. 2014; 4: 676-686https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nicl.2014.04.007
- Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioural Sciences.Lawrence Earlbaum Assoc, Hillside, NJ1988https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8721.ep10768783
- Reliability, validity, and clinical utility of the research diagnostic criteria for temporomandibular disorders axis II scales: Depression, non-specific physical symptoms, and graded chronic pain.J Orofac Pain. 2002; 16: 207-220
- Behavior, sensitivity, and power of activation likelihood estimation characterized by massive empirical simulation.Neuroimage. 2016; 137: 70-85https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2016.04.072
- Effects of centric mandibular splint therapy on orofacial pain and cerebral activation patterns.Clin Oral Investig. 2019; 24: 2005-2013https://doi.org/10.1007/s00784-019-03064-y
- Real-world incidence and prevalence of low back pain using routinely collected data.Rheumatol Int. 2019; 39: 619-626https://doi.org/10.1007/s00296-019-04273-0
- Stress: A common denominator for nonorganic TMJ pain-dysfunction.J Prosthet Dent. 1983; 49: 805-808https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(83)90354-2
- Coordinate-based meta-analysis of experimentally induced and chronic persistent neuropathic pain.Neuroimage. 2011; 58: 1070-1080https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2011.07.022
- Chronic back pain is associated with decreased prefrontal and anterior insular gray matter: Results from a population-based cohort study.J Pain. 2016; 17: 111-118https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpain.2015.10.003
- Prevalence of signs and symptoms of temporomandibular disorders in an urban and rural German population: Results of a population-based Study of Health in Pomerania.Quintessence Int. 2004; 35: 143-150
- Arthrocentesis and lavage for treating temporomandibular joint disorders.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD004973.pub3
- Different pain, different brain: Thalamic anatomy in neuropathic and non-neuropathic chronic pain syndromes.J Neurosci. 2011; 31: 5956-5964https://doi.org/10.1523/JNEUROSCI.5980-10.2011
- The association of health-related quality of life and cerebral gray matter volume in the context of aging: A voxel-based morphometry study with a general population sample.Neuroimage. 2019; 191: 470-480https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2019.02.035
- Studies on function and dysfunction of the masticatory system. II. Index for anamnestic and clinical dysfunction and occlusal state.Sven Tandlak Tidskr. 1974; 67: 101-121
- Chronic pain: Lost inhibition?.J Neurosci. 2013; 33: 7574-7582https://doi.org/10.1523/JNEUROSCI.0174-13.2013
- Physiological mechanisms of neuropathic pain: The orofacial region.Int Rev Neurobiol. 2011; 97: 227-250https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-385198-7.00009-6
- Grey matter alterations in migraine: A systematic review and meta-analysis.NeuroImage Clin. 2017; 14: 130-140https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nicl.2017.01.019
- What does the grey matter decrease in the medial prefrontal cortex reflect in people with chronic pain?.Eur J Pain (United Kingdom). 2019; 23: 203-219https://doi.org/10.1002/ejp.1304
- Pain and Interoception Imaging Network (PAIN): A multimodal, multisite, brain-imaging repository for chronic somatic and visceral pain disorders.Neuroimage. 2016; 124: 1232-1237https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2015.04.018
- Successful therapy for temporomandibular pain alters anterior insula and cerebellar representations of occlusion.Cephalalgia. 2013; 33: 1248-1257https://doi.org/10.1177/0333102413491028
- Oro-facial pain in the community: Prevalence and associated impact.Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2002; 30: 52-60https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0528.2002.300108.x
- Chronic psychosocial stress causes apical dendritic atrophy of hippocampal CA3 pyramidal neurons in subordinate tree shrews.J Neurosci. 1996; 16: 3534-3540https://doi.org/10.1523/jneurosci.16-10-03534.1996
- Stress levels and quality of sleep in subjects with temporomandibular joint dysfunction.Rev Odonto Ciência. 2011; 48: 692-696https://doi.org/10.1590/s1980-65232010000100007
- Chronic pain may change the structure of the brain.Pain. 2008; 137: 7-15https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2008.02.034
- Contribution of chronic pain and neuroticism to abnormal forebrain gray matter in patients with temporomandibular disorder.Neuroimage. 2011; 55: 277-286https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2010.12.013
- Temporomandibular disorders in the medical practice.J Fam Pract. 1996; 43: 347-356
- Anatomy of stroke injury predicts gains from therapy.Stroke. 2011; 42: 421-426https://doi.org/10.1161/STROKEAHA.110.599340
- Diagnostic criteria for temporomandibular disorders (DC/TMD) for clinical and research applications: Recommendations of the International RDC/TMD Consortium Network* and Orofacial Pain Special Interest Group†.J Oral Facial Pain Headache. 2014; 28: 6-27https://doi.org/10.11607/jop.1151
- E: The Research Diagnostic Criteria for Temporomandibular Disorders. V: Methods used to establish and validate revised Axis I diagnostic algorithms.J Orofac Pain. 2010; 24 (Toll-like): 63-78https://doi.org/10.1002/ana.22528
- Affective components and intensity of pain correlate with structural differences in gray matter in chronic back pain patients.Pain. 2006; 125: 89-97https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2006.05.004
- Structural brain anomalies and chronic pain: A quantitative meta-analysis of gray matter volume.J Pain. 2013; 1: 663-675https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpain.2013.03.001
- Symptoms of TMJ dysfunction as related to stress measured by the social readjustment rating scale.J Prosthet Dent. 1982; 47: 545-548https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(82)90307-9
- Fast and robust parameter estimation for statistical partial volume models in brain MRI.Neuroimage. 2004; 23: 84-97https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2004.05.007
- Small sample sizes reduce the replicability of task-based fMRI studies.Commun Biol. 2018; 1: 62https://doi.org/10.1038/s42003-018-0073-z
- Automated anatomical labeling of activations in SPM using a macroscopic anatomical parcellation of the MNI MRI single-subject brain.Neuroimage. 2002; 15: 273-289https://doi.org/10.1006/nimg.2001.0978
- Voxel-based morphometry reveals gray matter abnormalities in migraine.Headache. 2008; 48: 109-117https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1526-4610.2007.00723.x
- Structural and functional dichotomy of human midcingulate cortex.Eur J Neurosci. 2003; 18: 3134-3144https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-9568.2003.03034.x
- Cohort profile: The study of health in Pomerania.Int J Epidemiol. 2011; 40: 294-307https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyp394
- Trigeminal nerve anatomy in neuropathic and non-neuropathic orofacial pain patients.J Pain. 2013; 14: 865-872https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpain.2013.02.014
- What is the actual prevalence of migraine?.Brain Behav. 2018; 8: e00950https://doi.org/10.1002/brb3.950
- Chronic myofascial temporomandibular pain is associated with neural abnormalities in the trigeminal and limbic systems.Pain. 2010; 149: 222-228https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2010.01.006
M.D. and N.G. contributed equally to this work.
The investigation of the clinical sample included was supported by a grant from the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG; LO 795/25-1, KO 1598/6-1). The investigation of the population based sample (SHIP) is part of the Community Medicine Research net (CMR) (http://www.medizin.uni-greifswald.de/icm) of the University Medicine Greifswald, which is supported by the German Federal State of Mecklenburg-West Pomerania. MRI scans in SHIP and SHIP-TREND have been supported by a joint grant from Siemens Healthineers, Erlangen, Germany and the Federal State of Mecklenburg-West Pomerania.
The Study of Health in Pomerania (SHIP) is supported by the German Federal State of Mecklenburg-West Pomerania. MRI scans in SHIP and SHIP-TREND have been supported by a joint grant from Siemens Healthineers, Erlangen, Germany and the Federal State of Mecklenburg-West Pomerania. The clinical studies were supported by a grant from the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG; LO 795/25-1, KO 1598/6-1).
Conflicts of interest: The authors declare that they had no interest conflicts when evaluating and writing this study. The funding organizations had no impact on the study results.