- •Dry needling is effective for reducing muscle stiffness in latent trigger points.
- •Muscle thickness does not show changes after dry needling in latent trigger points.
- •Dry needling increased the pressure pain threshold in latent trigger points.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- B mode, Doppler and ultrasound elastography imaging on active trigger point in women with myofascial pain syndrome treated by dry needling.Muscles Ligaments Tendons J. 2019; 9: 417-424
- Influence of scapular position on the pressure pain threshold of the upper trapezius muscle region.Eur J Pain. 2008; 12: 226-232
- Blinding assessment in clinical trials: A review of statistical methods and a proposal of blinding assessment protocol.Clin Res Regul Aff. 2010; 27: 42-51
- Localization of muscle edema and changes on muscle contractility after dry needling of latent trigger points in the gastrocnemius muscle.Pain Med. 2019; 20: 1387-1394
- Blinding strategies in dry needling trials: Systematic review and meta-analysis.Phys Ther. 2019; 99: 1461-1480
- Tensiomyography, sonoelastography, and mechanosensitivity differences between active, latent, and control low back myofascial trigger points: A cross-sectional study.Medicine (Baltimore). 2017; 96: e6287
- Clinical implication of latent myofascial trigger point.Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2013; 17: 353
- A critical overview of the current myofascial pain literature – July 2018.J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2018; 22: 673-684
- Dry needling in patients with chronic heel pain due to plantar fasciitis: A single-blinded randomized clinical trial.Med J Islam Repub Iran. 2016; 30: 401
- The immediate effect of ischemic compression technique and transverse friction massage on tenderness of active and latent myofascial trigger points: A pilot study.J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2006; 10: 3-9
- International Consensus on diagnostic criteria and clinical considerations of myofascial trigger points: A Delphi study.Pain Med. 2018; 19: 142-150
- Acupuncture needling versus lidocaine injection of trigger points in myofascial pain syndrome in elderly patients—A randomised trial.Acupunct Med. 2007; 25: 130-136
- Intramuscular and nerve root stimulation vs lidocaine injection to trigger points in myofascial pain syndrome.J Rehabil Med. 2007; 39: 374-378
- Effect of cervical mobilization and ischemic compression therapy on contralateral cervical side flexion and pressure pain threshold in latent upper trapezius trigger points.J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2016; 20: 477-483
- The effectiveness of trigger point dry needling for musculoskeletal conditions by physical therapists: A systematic review and meta-analysis.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2017; 47: 133-149
- Latent myofascial trigger points.Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2011; 15: 386-392
- Evidence of generalized muscle stiffness in the presence of latent trigger points within infraspinatus.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2018; 99: 2257-2262
- Lidocaine injection versus dry needling to myofascial trigger point: The importance of the local twitch response.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 1994; 73: 256-263
- Changes in stiffness of the dorsal scapular muscles before and after computer work: A comparison between individuals with and without neck and shoulder complaints.Eur J Appl Physiol. 2017; 117: 179-187
- An index for assessing blindness in a multi-centre clinical trial: disulfiram for alcohol cessation—A VA cooperative study.Stat Med. 1996; 15: 1421-1434
- Test-retest reliability, repeatability, and sensitivity of an automated deformation-controlled indentation on pressure pain threshold measurement.J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2013; 36: 84-90
- The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data.Biometrics. 1977; 33: 159-174
- Effectiveness of dry needling for myofascial trigger points associated with neck and shoulder pain: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2015; 96: 944-955
- Randomized trial on comparison of the efficacy of extracorporeal shock wave therapy and dry needling in myofascial trigger points.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2019; 98: 677-684
- Muscle activation patterns in the scapular positioning muscles during loaded scapular plane elevation: The effects of latent myofascial trigger points.Clin Biomech. 2010; 25: 765-770
- Quantification of dry needling and posture effects on myofascial trigger points using ultrasound shear-wave elastography.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 94: 2146-2150
- Postneedling soreness after deep dry needling of a latent myofascial trigger point in the upper trapezius muscle: Characteristics, sex differences and associated factors.J Back Musculoskelet Rehabil. 2016; 29: 301-308
- Effects of spray and stretch on postneedling soreness and sensitivity after dry needling of a latent myofascial trigger point.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2014; 95
- Friction massage versus kinesiotaping for short-term management of latent trigger points in the upper trapezius: A randomized controlled trial.Chiropr Man Therap. 2017; 25: 25
- Local anesthetic injections for the short-term treatment of head and neck myofascial pain syndrome: A systematic review with meta-analysis.J Oral Facial Pain Headache. 2019; 33: 183-198
- Short- and medium-term effects of manual therapy on cervical active range of motion and pressure pain sensitivity in latent myofascial pain of the upper trapezius muscle: A randomized controlled trial.J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2013; 36: 300-309
- Biochemicals associated with pain and inflammation are elevated in sites near to and remote from active myofascial trigger points.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2008; 89: 16-23
- An in vivo microanalytical technique for measuring the local biochemical milieu of human skeletal muscle.J Appl Physiol (1985). 2005; 99: 1977-1984
- Travell & Simons' Myofascial Pain and Dysfunction: Upper Half of Body. 1. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 1999
- Comparison of pressure release, phonophoresis and dry needling in treatment of latent myofascial trigger point of upper trapezius muscle.J Back Musculoskelet Rehabil. 2019; 32: 587-594
- Developing and validating a sham acupuncture needle.Acupunct Med. 2009; 27: 118-122
- Effectiveness of dry needling for headache: A systematic review.Neurologia. 2020;
- The effect of the combination of dry needling and MET on latent trigger point upper trapezius in females.Man Ther. 2016; 21: 204-209
Disclosures: This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
Conflicts of Interest: All authors report no conflicts of interest.