- •Chronic pain and suicidal behavior are prevalent in adolescents.
- •A large prospective study examined pain-suicidality association in adolescents.
- •Chronic pain increased 50-70% risk of suicidal behavior 1 year later.
- •Pain assessment and treatment may be important for suicide prevention.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Manual for the Youth Self-Report and 1991 Profile.Department of Psychiatry, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT1991
- Nonpharmacologic treatment of pain.Semin Pediatr Neurol. 2016; 23: 220-223
- Practice parameter for the assessment and treatment of children and adolescents with suicidal behavior. American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2001; 40: 24S-51S
- The impact of physical pain on suicidal thoughts and behaviors: Meta-analyses.J Psychiatr Res. 2015; 71: 16-32
- Suicidal behaviours among adolescents from 90 countries: A pooled analysis of the global school-based student health survey.BMC Public Health. 2020; 20: 1102
- Depression, chronic pain, and suicide by overdose: On the edge.Pain Med. 2011; 12: S43-S48
- Menarche, menstrual problems and suicidal behavior in Chinese adolescents.J Affect Disord. 2017; 209: 53-58
- Chronic pain prevalence and associated factors in adolescents with and without physical disabilities.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2018; 60: 596-601
- Psychological pain in suicidality: A meta-analysis.J Clin Psychiatry. 2018; 79: 16r10732
- Pain-related catastrophizing as a risk factor for suicidal ideation in chronic pain.Pain. 2006; 126: 272-279
- Pain and suicidality: Insights from reward and addiction neuroscience.Prog Neurobiol. 2013; 109: 1-27
- The pain-depression relationship.Psychosomatics. 2002; 43 (author reply 341-342): 341
- Social functioning and peer relationships in children and adolescents with chronic pain: A systematic review.Pain Res Manag. 2010; 15: 27-41
- Youth suicide risk and preventive interventions: A review of the past 10 years.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2003; 42: 386-405
- Are adolescents with frequent pain symptoms more depressed?.Scand J Prim Health Care. 2002; 20: 92-96
- Predicting future self-harm or suicide in adolescents: A systematic review of risk assessment scales/tools.BMJ Open. 2019; 9e029311
- Predicting repeated self-harm or suicide in adolescents and young adults using risk assessment scales/tools: A systematic review protocol.Syst Rev. 2019; 8: 87
- The risk of suicide mortality in chronic pain patients.Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2014; 18: 436
- Self-harm and suicide in adolescents.Lancet. 2012; 379: 2373-2382
- The relationship between pain and suicidal vulnerability in adolescence: A systematic review.Lancet Child Adolesc Health. 2019; 3: 899-916
- Noncancer pain conditions and risk of suicide.JAMA Psychiatry. 2013; 70: 692-697
- Severe pain predicts greater likelihood of subsequent suicide.Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2010; 40: 597-608
- Suicidal ideation and behaviors among high school students—Youth risk behavior survey, United States, 2019.MMWR. 2020; 69: 47-55
- Youth risk behavior surveillance—United States, 2015.MMWR Surveill Summ. 2016; 65: 1-174
- Depression and functional disability in chronic pediatric pain.Clin J Pain. 2001; 17: 341-349
- The epidemiology of chronic pain in children and adolescents revisited: A systematic review.Pain. 2011; 152: 2729-2738
- The association of self-injurious behaviour and suicide attempts with recurrent idiopathic pain in adolescents: Evidence from a population-based study.Child Adolesc Psychiatry Ment Health. 2015; 9: 32
- Adolescents' self-reported suicide attempts, self-harm thoughts and their correlates across 17 European countries.J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2012; 53: 381-389
- Stressful life events, insomnia and suicidality in a large sample of Chinese adolescents.J Affect Disord. 2019; 249: 404-409
- Prolonged mobile phone use is associated with depressive symptoms in Chinese adolescents.J Affect Disord. 2019; 259: 128-134
- Insomnia and psychopathological features associated with restless legs syndrome in Chinese adolescents.J Clin Psychiatry. 2018; 79: 16m11358
- Reliability and validity of the youth self-report (YSR) of Achenbach's Child Behavior Checklist (CBCL) [in Chinese].Chin Mental Health J. 1997; 11: 200-203
- Life events, locus of control, and behavioral problems among Chinese adolescents.J Clin Psychol. 2000; 56: 1565-1577
- Nightmares are associated with future suicide attempt and non-suicidal self-injury in adolescents.J Clin Psychiatry. 2019; 80: 18m12181
- Life events, psychopathology, and suicidal behavior in Chinese adolescents.J Affect Disord. 2005; 86: 195-203
- Psychopathology associated with suicide attempts among rural adolescents of China.Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2005; 35: 265-276
- Prevalence and correlates of self-reported sleep problems among Chinese adolescents.Sleep. 2000; 23: 27-34
- Prevalence of suicidal behaviour and associated factors in a large sample of Chinese adolescents.Epidemiol Psychiatr Sci. 2019; 28: 280-289
- Reliability and validity of the Chinese youth self-report of Achenbach's child behavior checklist.Chin Mental Health J. 1997; 11: 4
- Psychometric assessment of the Chinese adolescent daytime sleepiness scale (CADSS).Sleep Biol Rhythms. 2017; 15: 207-216
- Psychometric properties of youth self-rating insomnia scale (YSIS) in Chinese adolescents.Sleep Biol Rhythms. 2019; 17: 339-348
- Psychological and behavioral characteristics of suicide attempts and non-suicidal self-injury in Chinese adolescents.J Affect Disord. 2018; 226: 287-293
- Suicidal behaviours among Chinese adolescents exposed to suicide attempt or death.Epidemiol Psychiatr Sci. 2018; 29: e12
- Adolescent suicidal behaviours in 32 low- and middle-income countries.Bull World Health Organ. 2016; 94: 340-350F
- Prevalence, correlates, and treatment of lifetime suicidal behavior among adolescents: Results from the national comorbidity survey replication adolescent supplement.JAMA Psychiatry. 2013; 70: 300-310
- Suicide after deliberate self-harm in adolescents and young adults.Pediatrics. 2018; 141: e20173517
- Latina adolescents health risk behaviors and suicidal ideation and suicide attempts: Results from the national youth risk behavior survey 2001-2013.J Immigr Minor Health. 2016; 19: 533-542
- Neurobiology of early life stress and visceral pain: Translational relevance from animal models to patient care.Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2016; 28: 1290-1305
- A conceptual model of biopsychosocial mechanisms of transition from acute to chronic postsurgical pain in children and adolescents.J Pain Res. 2020; 13: 3071-3080
- Chronic pain and suicide risk: A comprehensive review.Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2018; 87: 269-280
- Psychological and physical pain as predictors of suicide risk: Evidence from clinical and neuroimaging findings.Curr Opin Psychiatry. 2017; 30: 159-167
- Rebuilding the tower of Babel: A revised nomenclature for the study of suicide and suicidal behaviors. Part 1: Background, rationale, and methodology.Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2007; 37: 248-263
- Rebuilding the tower of Babel: A revised nomenclature for the study of suicide and suicidal behaviors. Part 2: Suicide-related ideations, communications, and behaviors.Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2007; 37: 264-277
- Risk factors for suicidal thoughts in adolescence—a prospective cohort study: The young-HUNT study.BMJ Open. 2014; 4e005867
- Depressive symptoms in Chinese children and adolescents: Parent, teacher, and self-reports.J Affect Disord. 2008; 111: 291-298
- Sociodemographic and environmental factors are associated with adolescents' pain and longitudinal health outcomes.J Pain. 2020; 21: 170-181
- Chronic pain in adolescents is associated with suicidal thoughts and behaviors.J Pain. 2011; 12: 1032-1039
- Migraine and suicidal ideation in adolescents aged 13 to 15 years.Neurology. 2009; 72: 1146-1152
- Chronic daily headache in adolescents: An 8-year follow-up study.Neurology. 2009; 73: 416-422
- Psychiatric comorbidity and suicide risk in adolescents with chronic daily headache.Neurology. 2007; 68: 1468-1473
- Age at menarche, menstrual problems, and daytime sleepiness in Chinese adolescent girls.Sleep. 2019; 42: zsz061
Funding: This work was funded in part for data collection by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (grant number 81573233).
Conflict of Interest: All authors have no conflict of interest to disclosure.
Ethical standards: The authors assert that all procedures contributing to this work comply with the ethical standards of the relevant national and institutional committees on human experimentation and with the Helsinki Declaration of 1975, as revised in 2008.