- •Central poststroke pain rats exhibited increased TNF-α and reduced surface GABAaR levels.
- •P2X4 receptor inhibition attenuated central poststroke pain through TNF-α/TNFR1-GABAaR signaling.
- •TNF-α antagonist etanercept reversed the endocytosis of surface GABAaR.
- •TNF-α decreased surface GABAaR via activation of TNFR1.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Pain
- P2X4R+ microglia drive neuropathic pain.Nat Neurosci. 2012; 15: 1068-1073
- Late-onset thermal hypersensitivity after focal ischemic thalamic infarcts as a model for central post-stroke pain in rats.J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2015; 35: 1100-1103
- Quantitative assessment of tactile allodynia in the rat paw.J Neurosci Methods. 1994; 53: 55-63
- Microglia in pain: Detrimental and protective roles in pathogenesis and resolution of pain.Neuron. 2018; 100: 1292-1311
- Peripheral inflammation induces tumor necrosis factor dependent AMPA receptor trafficking and Akt phosphorylation in spinal cord in addition to pain behavior.Pain. 2010; 149: 243-253
- Simulation of P2X-mediated calcium signalling in microglia.J Physiol. 2019; 597: 799-818
de Magalhães SF, Manzo LP: Inflammatory pain in peripheral tissue depends on the activation of the TNF-α type 1 receptor in the primary afferent neuron. 2020
- Tumor necrosis factor receptor 1 inhibition is therapeutic for neuropathic pain in males but not in females.Pain. 2019; 160: 922-931
- P2X receptors and inflammation.Curr Med Chem. 2015; 22: 866-877
- TNFR2 promotes Treg-mediated recovery from neuropathic pain across sexes.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2019; 116: 17045-17050
- Modulating the pain network–Neurostimulation for central poststroke pain.Nat Rev Neurol. 2015; 11: 290-299
- Role of the P2X4 receptor in neuropathic pain.Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2019; 47: 33-39
- Microglia in neuropathic pain: Cellular and molecular mechanisms and therapeutic potential.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2018; 19: 138-152
Lalisse S, Hua J, Lenoir M, Linck N, Rassendren F: Sensory neuronal P2RX4 receptors controls BDNF signaling in inflammatory pain. Sci Rep 8:964, 2018.
- Descending modulation of pain: The GABA disinhibition hypothesis of analgesia.Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2014; 29: 159-164
- P2X4 receptor-dependent Ca(2+) influx in model human monocytes and macrophages.Int J Mol Sci. 2017; 18: 2261
Liampas A, Velidakis N, Georgiou T, Vadalouca A, Varrassi G, Hadjigeorgiou GM, Tsivgoulis G, Zis P: Prevalence and management challenges in central post-stroke neuropathic pain: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Adv Ther 37:3278-3291, 2020.
Liu Y, Zhou LJ, Wang J: TNF-α differentially regulates synaptic plasticity in the hippocampus and spinal cord by microglia-dependent mechanisms after peripheral nerve injury. J Neurosci 37:871-881, 2017
Long T, He W, Pan Q, Zhang S, Zhang D, Qin G, Chen L, Zhou J: Microglia P2X4R-BDNF signalling contributes to central sensitization in a recurrent nitroglycerin-induced chronic migraine model. J Headache Pain 21:4, 2020
- Interactions between N-ethylmaleimide-sensitive factor and GluR2 in the nucleus accumbens contribute to the expression of locomotor sensitization to cocaine.J Neurosci. 2014; 34: 3493-3508
- A new central post-stroke pain rat model: Autologous blood injected thalamic hemorrhage involved increased expression of P2X4 receptor.Neurosci Lett. 2018; 687: 124-130
- Stability of surface NMDA receptors controls synaptic and behavioral adaptations to amphetamine.Nat Neurosci. 2009; 12: 602-610
- Involvement of descending pain control system regulated by orexin receptor signaling in the induction of central post-stroke pain in mice.Eur J Pharmacol. 2020; 874173029
- Pain and sex hormones: A review of current understanding.Pain Manag. 2016; 6: 285-296
- AChE-stained horizontal sections of the rat brain in stereotaxic coordinates.J Neurosci Methods. 1980; 3: 129-149
- Targeting brain-derived neurotrophic factor in the medial thalamus for the treatment of central poststroke pain in a rodent model.Pain. 2017; 158: 1302-1313
- Assessing the risk of central post-stroke pain of thalamic origin by lesion mapping.Brain. 2012; 135: 2536-2545
- Differential regulation of AMPA receptor and GABA receptor trafficking by tumor necrosis factor-alpha.J Neurosci. 2005; 25: 3219-3228
- Pathophysiology of central poststroke pain: Motor cortex disinhibition and its clinical and sensory correlates.Stroke. 2019; 50: 2851-2857
- P2X4-receptor-mediated synthesis and release of brain-derived neurotrophic factor in microglia is dependent on calcium and p38-mitogen-activated protein kinase activation.J Neurosci. 2009; 29: 3518-3528
- P2X4 receptors control the fate and survival of activated microglia.Glia. 2014; 62: 171-184
- Descending control of persistent pain: Inhibitory or facilitatory?.Brain Res Brain Res Rev. 2004; 46: 295-309
- Insular balance of glutamatergic and GABAergic signaling modulates pain processing.Pain. 2016; 157: 2194-2207
- TNF-α/TNFR1 signaling is required for the development and function of primary nociceptors.Neuron. 2014; 82: 587-602
- Inflammation-induced GluA1 trafficking and membrane insertion of Ca(2+) permeable AMPA receptors in dorsal horn neurons is dependent on spinal tumor necrosis factor, PI3 kinase and protein kinase A.Exp Neurol. 2017; 293: 144-158
- Central sensitization: implications for the diagnosis and treatment of pain.Pain. 2011; 152: S2-15
- Participation of pro-inflammatory cytokines in neuropathic pain evoked by chemotherapeutic oxaliplatin via central GABAergic pathway.Mol Pain. 2018; 141744806918783535
- Distinct role of tumor necrosis factor receptor subtypes 1 and 2 in the red nucleus in the development of neuropathic pain.Neurosci Lett. 2014; 569: 43-48
- A p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase-dependent mechanism of disinhibition in spinal synaptic transmission induced by tumor necrosis factor-alpha.J Neurosci. 2010; 30: 12844-12855
- The role of P2X4 receptor in neuropathic pain and its pharmacological properties.Pharmacol Res. 2020; 158104875
- Mortality, morbidity, and risk factors in China and its provinces, 1990-2017: A systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017.Lancet. 2019; 394: 1145-1158
Supported by National Key R&D Program of China (2017YFC0110304); National Science Foundation of China (No.81701309, 81803553); Key R & D program of Jiangsu Province (Social Development) (key project-clinical frontier technology) (BE2019666); Key Medical Talents Program for Youth in Jiangsu (QNRC2016729) and Clinical Key Diseases Diagnosis and Treatment Technology Special Project in Suzhou (LCZX201702).
Conflict of interest: All authors declared there were no conflict of interests involved.