- •Wheel running is an effective method to assess inflammatory bowel disease in rats.
- •Trinitrobenzene sulphonic acid -induced inflammatory bowel disease depressed wheel running in adolescent and adult female rats.
- •Administration of Tetrahydrocannabinol exacerbated the depression of wheel running caused by inflammatory bowel disease.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Cannabis in painful HIV-associated sensory neuropathy: A randomized placebo-controlled trial.Neurology. 2007; 68: 515-521
- Relevance of TNBS-colitis in rats: A methodological study with endoscopic, histologic and Transcriptomic [corrected] characterization and correlation to IBD.PLoS ONE. 2013; 8: e54543
- Comparison of two models of inflammatory bowel disease in rats.Adv Clin Exp Med. 2018; 27: 599-607
- Transient receptor potential ankyrin 1 mediates chronic pancreatitis pain in mice.Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2013; 304: G1002-G1012
- Evaluation of the usefulness of colonoscopy with mucosal biopsies in the follow-up of TNBS-induced colitis in rats.Mol Med Rep. 2013; 8: 446-450
- Exercise in patients with inflammatory bowel diseases: Current perspectives.Clin Exp Gastroenterol. 2018; 11: 1-11
- Impact of inflammatory bowel disease on quality of life: Results of the European Federation of Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis Associations (EFCCA) patient survey.J Crohns Colitis. 2007; 1: 10-20
- Exercise and inflammatory bowel disease: Insights into etiopathogenesis and modification of clinical course.Gastroenterol Clin North Am. 2017; 46: 895-905
- Acute hyperalgesia and delayed dry eye after corneal abrasion injury.Pain Rep. 2018; 3: e664
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group, pilot study of cannabidiol-rich botanical extract in the symptomatic treatment of ulcerative colitis.Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2018; 24: 714-724
- Cannabinoids and the gut: New developments and emerging concepts.Pharmacol Ther. 2010; 126: 21-38
- Short-term sensitization of colon mechanoreceptors is associated with long-term hypersensitivity to colon distention in the mouse.Gastroenterology. 2007; 133: 184-194
- Activation of mesolimbic reward system via laterodorsal tegmental nucleus and hypothalamus in exercise-induced hypoalgesia.Sci Rep. 2018; 8: 11540
- Home cage wheel running is an objective and clinically relevant method to assess inflammatory pain in male and female rats.J Neurosci Methods. 2016; 263: 115-122
- Anti-migraine effect of ∆9-tetrahydrocannabinol in the female rat.Eur J Pharmacol. 2018; 818: 271-277
- Depression of home cage wheel running: A reliable and clinically relevant method to assess migraine pain in rats.J Headache Pain. 2017; 18: 5
Kandasamy R, Morgan MM: “Reinventing the wheel” to advance the development of pain therapeutics. Behav Pharmacol, Epub ahead of print, doi: 10.1097/FBP.0000000000000596.
- Pharmacological evaluation of a novel cannabinoid 2 (CB2) ligand, PF-03550096, in vitro and in vivo by using a rat model of visceral hypersensitivity.J Pharmacol Sci. 2008; 106: 219-224
- Dissociable effects of the cannabinoid receptor agonists Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol and CP55940 on pain-stimulated versus pain-depressed behavior in rats.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2012; 343: 389-400
- Cannabis use amongst patients with inflammatory bowel disease.Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2011; 23: 891-896
- The endogenous cannabinoid system protects against colonic inflammation.J Clin Invest. 2004; 113: 1202-1209
- Hapten-induced model of chronic inflammation and ulceration in the rat colon.Gastroenterology. 1989; 96: 795-803
- Cannabis for inflammatory bowel disease.Dig Dis. 2014; 32: 468-474
- Low-dose cannabidiol is safe but not effective in the treatment for Crohn's disease, a randomized controlled trial.Dig Dis Sci. 2017; 62: 1615-1620
- The effect of melatonin on TNBS-induced colitis.Dig Dis Sci. 2006; 51: 1538-1545
- Colorectal distension as a noxious visceral stimulus: Physiologic and pharmacologic characterization of pseudaffective reflexes in the rat.Brain Res. 1988; 450: 153-169
- Quality of life, work productivity impairment and healthcare resources in inflammatory bowel diseases in Brazil.World J Gastroenterol. 2019; 25: 5862-5882
- EXPRESS: Voluntary and evoked behavioral correlates in neuropathic pain states under different housing conditions.Mol Pain. 2016; 12: 1-15
- Voluntary and evoked behavioral correlates in inflammatory pain conditions under different social housing conditions.Pain Rep. 2016; 1: e564
- Cannabis and turmeric as complementary treatments for IBD and other digestive diseases.Curr Gastroenterol Rep. 2019; 21: 2
- Marijuana use patterns among patients with inflammatory bowel disease.Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2013; 19: 2809-2814
- Management issues in women with inflammatory bowel disease.J Am Osteopath Assoc. 2001; 101: S17-S23
- Oromucosal delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol/cannabidiol for neuropathic pain associated with multiple sclerosis: An uncontrolled, open-label, 2-year extension trial.Clin Ther. 2007; 29: 2068-2079
- Involvement of cannabinoid receptors in inflammatory hypersensitivity to colonic distension in rats.Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2006; 18: 949-956
- Longitudinal PET/CT evaluation of TNBS-induced inflammatory bowel disease rat model.Int J Pharm. 2018; 549: 335-342
- A cross-sectional survey of medical cannabis users: Patterns of use and perceived efficacy.Cannabis Cannabinoid Res. 2016; 1: 131-138
- Differential immune and genetic responses in rat models of Crohn's colitis and ulcerative colitis.Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2011; 300: G41-G51
- Monosodium iodoacetate-induced osteoarthritis produces pain-depressed wheel running in rats: Implications for preclinical behavioral assessment of chronic pain.Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2011; 98: 35-42
- Cannabis use provides symptom relief in patients with inflammatory bowel disease but is associated with worse disease prognosis in patients with Crohn's disease.Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2014; 20: 472-480
- Survey of Australians using cannabis for medical purposes.Harm Reduct J. 2005; 2: 18
- Pros and cons of clinically relevant methods to assess pain in rodents.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2019; 100: 335-343
- Sex differences in antinociceptive and motoric effects of cannabinoids.Eur J Pharmacol. 2001; 430: 41-47
- Participation of thromboxane and other eicosanoid synthesis in the course of experimental inflammatory colitis.Gastroenterology. 1990; 98: 269-277
- Exacerbation of experimental colitis by nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs is not related to elevated leukotriene B4 synthesis.Gastroenterology. 1992; 102: 18-27
- Inhibition of leukotriene synthesis markedly accelerates healing in a rat model of inflammatory bowel disease.Gastroenterology. 1989; 96: 29-36
- Cannabis for therapeutic purposes: Patient characteristics, access, and reasons for use.Int J Drug Policy. 2013; 24: 511-516
- Patterns of cannabis use in patients with inflammatory bowel disease: A population based analysis.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2015; 156: 84-89
- Analgesic effects of tramadol, carprofen or multimodal analgesia in rats undergoing ventral laparotomy.Lab Anim (NY). 2011; 40: 85-93
- Analgesic effects of electroacupuncture at ST25 and CV12 in a rat model of postinflammatory irritable bowel syndrome visceral pain.Acupunct Med. 2018; 36: 240-246
Funded by State of Washington Initiative 502.
The authors have no conflicts of interest related to this work.