- •Over time, youth with 3+ versus 0 adverse childhood experiences (ACEs) reported poorer quality of life.
- •Youth with 3+ versus 0 ACEs reported higher symptoms of PTSD, depression, and anxiety.
- •Functioning differed between youth exposed to different types of ACEs.
- •PTSD symptoms moderated the association between ACEs and anxiety symptoms.
- •ACEs influence the long-term functioning of youth with chronic pain.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Adverse childhood experiences and frequent headaches in adults.Headache. 2010; 50: 1473-1481
- The enduring effects of abuse and related adverse experiences in childhood.Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2006; 256: 174-186
- History of abuse and its relationship to pain experience and depression in women with chronic pelvic pain.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 210 (317.e311-318)
- Adverse childhood experiences and prenatal mental health: Type of ACEs and age of maltreatment onset.J Fam Psychol. 2019; 33: 304
- Heightened risk for pain in young adult women with a history of childhood maltreatment: A prospective longitudinal study.Pain. 2019; 161: 156-165
- Positive childhood experiences and adult mental and relational health in a statewide sample: Associations across adverse childhood experiences levels.JAMA Pediatr. 2019; 173 (e193007-e193007)
- Methods to assess adverse childhood experiences of children and families: Toward approaches to promote child well-being in policy and practice.Acad Pediatr. 2017; 17: S51-S69
Beveridge JK, Dobson KS, Madigan S, Yeates KO, Stone AL, Wilson AC, Salberg S, Mychasiuk R, Noel M. Adverse childhood experiences in parents of youth with chronic pain: Prevalence and comparison to a community-based sample. PAIN Rep, 5:e866, 2020.
- Intergenerational examination of pain and posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms among youth with chronic pain and their parents.Pain Rep. 2018; 3
- Partnering for pain: A priority setting partnership to identify patient-oriented research priorities for pediatric chronic pain in Canada.CMAJ Open. 2019; 7: E654
- The PedsQL™: Reliability and validity of the short-form generic core scales and asthma module.Med Care. 2005; 43: 256-265
- Psychometric properties of the revised child anxiety and depression scale in a clinical sample.Behav Res Ther. 2005; 43: 309-322
- Assessment of symptoms of DSM-IV anxiety and depression in children: A revised child anxiety and depression scale.Behav Res Ther. 2000; 38: 835-855
- Concordant parent-child reports of anxiety predict impairment in youth with functional abdominal pain.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2015; 60: 312-317
- Are reports of childhood abuse related to the experience of chronic pain in adulthood?: A meta-analytic review of the literature.Clin J Pain. 2005; 21: 398-405
- Prenatal stress increases the expression of proinflammatory cytokines and exacerbates the inflammatory response to LPS in the hippocampal formation of adult male mice.Brain Behav Immun. 2013; 28: 196-206
- Relationship of childhood abuse and household dysfunction to many of the leading causes of death in adults. The adverse childhood experiences (ACE) study.Am J Prev Med. 1998; 14: 245-258
- Psychometrics of the child PTSD symptom scale for DSM-5 for trauma-exposed children and adolescents.J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol. 2018; 47: 38-46
- The child PTSD symptom scale: A preliminary examination of its psychometric properties.J Clin Child Psychol. 2001; 30: 376-384
- Examination of the factorial structure of adverse childhood experiences and recommendations for three subscale scores.Psychol Violence. 2014; 4: 432
- Adverse childhood experiences and health-risk behaviors in vulnerable early adolescents.J Early Adolesc. 2017; 38: 661-680
- Traumatic stress and posttraumatic stress disorder in youth: Recent research findings on clinical impact, assessment, and treatment.J Adolesc Health. 2013; 52: 137-143
- Adverse childhood experiences and chronic pain among children and adolescents in the United States.Pain Rep. 2020; 5: e839
- The neurobiology of stress and development.Annu Rev Psychol. 2007; 58: 145-173
- Validity of adult retrospective reports of adverse childhood experiences: Review of the evidence.J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2004; 45: 260-273
- The REDCap consortium: Building an international community of software platform partners.J Biomed Inform. 2019; 95103208
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap)—a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381
- Introduction to Mediation, Moderation, and Conditional Process Analysis: A Regression-Based Approach.New York, NY, Guilford Publications, 2017
- Attention bias modification training for adolescents with chronic pain: A randomized placebo-controlled trial.Pain. 2018; 159: 239-251
- Post-traumatic stress symptoms in children and adolescents with chronic pain: A topical review of the literature and a proposed framework for future research.Eur J Pain. 2016; 20: 1371-1383
- The consequences of adolescent chronic unpredictable stress exposure on brain and behavior.Neuroscience. 2013; 249: 232-241
- Adverse events in childhood and chronic widespread pain in adult life: Results from the 1958 British Birth Cohort Study.Pain. 2009; 143: 92-96
- Pain, fatigue, and psychological impact on health-related quality of life in childhood-onset lupus.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2016; 68: 73-80
- Longitudinal evaluation of patient-reported outcomes measurement information systems measures in pediatric chronic pain.Pain. 2016; 157: 339-347
- Experience and the developing prefrontal cortex.Proc Natl Acad Sci. 2012; 109: 17186-17193
- Support for the mutual maintenance of pain and post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms.Psychol Med. 2010; 40: 1215-1223
- Children and adolescents with complex regional pain syndrome: More psychologically distressed than other children in pain?.Pain Res Manage. 2013; 18: 87-93
- Caregiver–child discrepancies in reports of child emotional symptoms in pediatric chronic pain.J Pediatr Psychol. 2020; 45: 359-369
- The association between tender points, psychological distress, and adverse childhood experiences: A community-based study.Arthritis Rheum. 1999; 42: 1397-1404
- Neurobiological and systemic effects of chronic stress.Chronic Stress. 2017; 1 (2470547017692328)
- Rethinking the measurement of adversity: Moving toward second-generation research on adverse childhood experiences.Child Maltreat. 2017; 22: 58-68
- Assessment of Trauma in Youths: Understanding Issues of Age, Complexity, and Associated Variables.New York, NY, Routledge, 2016
- The impact of posttraumatic stress disorder on clinical presentation and psychosocial treatment response in youth with functional abdominal pain disorders: An exploratory study.Children. 2020; 7: 56
- Clinical profiles of young adults with juvenile-onset fibromyalgia with and without a history of trauma.Arthritis Care Res. 69:1636-1643, 2017;
- The role of adverse childhood experiences (ACEs) in school-related impairment in youth with chronic pain.J Pain. 2018; 19: S58
- The incidence of adverse childhood experiences (ACEs) and their association with pain-related and psychosocial impairment in youth with chronic pain.Clin J Pain. 5:402-408, 2017;
- Youth with chronic pain and a history of adverse childhood experiences in the context of multidisciplinary pain rehabilitation.Clin J Pain. 2019; 35: 420-427
- A “dyadic dance”: Pain catastrophizing moderates the daily relationships between parent mood and protective responses and child chronic pain.Pain. 2020; 161: 1072-1082
- Diagnostic uncertainty in youth with chronic pain and their parents.J Pain. 2019; 20: 1080-1090
- A longitudinal examination of the interpersonal fear avoidance model of pain: The role of intolerance of uncertainty.Pain. 2021; 162: 152-160
- Unravelling the relationship between parent and child PTSD and pediatric chronic pain: The mediating role of pain catastrophizing.J Pain. 2018; 19: 196-206
- Posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms in youth with vs without chronic pain.Pain. 2016; 157: 2277-2284
- The physical health consequences of PTSD and PTSD symptoms: A meta-analytic review.J Anxiety Disord. 2013; 27: 33-46
- Sleep quality and efficiency in adolescents with chronic pain: Relationship with activity limitations and health-related quality of life.Behav Sleep Med. 2008; 6: 234-250
- Randomized controlled trial of an Internet-delivered family cognitive–behavioral therapy intervention for children and adolescents with chronic pain.Pain. 2009; 146: 205-213
- Development and validation of the child activity limitations interview: A measure of pain-related functional impairment in school-age children and adolescents.Pain. 2004; 109: 461-470
- Sleep disturbance underlies the co-occurrence of trauma and pediatric chronic pain: A longitudinal examination.Pain. 2020; 161: 821-830
- Psychological trauma exposure and pain-related outcomes among people with chronic low back pain: Moderated mediation by thought suppression and social constraints.Ann Behav Med. 2017; 51: 316-320
- Screening for adverse childhood experiences (ACEs) in an integrated pediatric care model.Zero Three. 2016; 37: 10-17
- Psychological problems, protective factors and health-related quality of life in youth affected by violence: The burden of the multiply victimised.J Adolesc. 2013; 36: 587-601
- Longitudinal data analyses using linear mixed models in SPSS: Concepts, procedures and illustrations.Sci World J. 2011; 11:42-76
- Attentional biases in pediatric chronic pain: An eye-tracking study assessing the nature of the bias and its relation to attentional control.Pain. 2020; 161: 2263-2273
- Predictors of health-related quality of life after burn injuries: A systematic review.Crit. Care. 2018; 22: 160
- Three new datasets supporting use of the numerical rating cale (NRS-11) for children's self-reports of pain intensity.Pain. 2009; 143: 223-227
- Analyzing longitudinal data with the linear mixed models procedure in SPSS.Eval Health Prof. 2009; 32: 207-228
Funding Sources: This research was supported by research funding awarded to M. Noel from the Vi Riddell Pediatric Pain Initiative, Alberta Children's Hospital Foundation and Alberta Children's Hospital Research Institute, and the Canadian Institutes of Health Research Strategy for Patient-Oriented Research “Chronic Pain Network.”
Financial Disclosure: The authors have no other financial disclosures in relation to this study.
Conflict of Interest: The authors have no conflict of interest to disclose.