- •Neither yoga nor eurythmy were superior to standard physiotherapy.
- •All interventions relieve chronic low back pain to a comparable extent.
- •Further research on the additional clinical benefit to usual care is warranted.
- •All interventions were safe.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Outcome assessments in the evaluation of treatment of spinal disorders: Summary and general recommendations.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2000; 25: 3100-3103
- Validation of the brief multidimensional life satisfaction scale in patients with chronic diseases.Eur J Med Res. 2009; 14: 171-177
- Effects of yoga interventions on pain and pain-associated disability: A meta-analysis.J Pain. 2012; 13: 1-9
- Eurythmy Therapy in clinical studies: A systematic literature review.BMC Complement Altern Med. 2008; 8 (8 Availableat:)https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2322948/pdf/1472-6882-8-8.pdfDate accessed: May 10, 2021
- Treatment of Chronic Lower Back Pain: Study Protocol of a Comparative Effectiveness Study on Yoga, Eurythmy Therapy, and Physiotherapeutic Exercises.Complementary medicine research, 2017
- Clinical efficacy assessment subcommittee of the American College of Physicians, American College of Physicians, American Pain Society Low Back Pain Guidelines Panel. Diagnosis and treatment of low back pain: a joint clinical practice guideline from the American College of Physicians and the American Pain Society.Ann Intern Med. 2007; 147: 478-491https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-147-7-200710020-00006
- Use of yoga, meditation, and chiropractors among U.S. adults aged 18 and over.NCHS Data Brief. 2018; (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30475686/): 1-8
- Eurythmy therapy increases specific oscillations of heart rate variability.BMC Complement Altern Med. 2015; 15: 167
- Trends in alternative medicine use in the United States, 1990-1997: Results of a follow-up national survey.JAMA. 1998; 280: 1569-1575
- Cross-validation of item selection and scoring for the SF-12 Health Survey in 9 countries: Results from the IQOLA Project. International Quality of Life Assessment.J Clin Epidemiol. 1998; 51: 1171-1178
Girke M: Schmerztherapie. In: Innere Medizin, Salumed Verlag, Berlin, Germany, pp. 723-755.
- Anthroposophic vs conventional therapy for chronic low back pain: A prospective comparative study.Eur J Med Res. 2007; 12: 302-310
- Long-term outcomes of anthroposophic therapy for chronic low back pain: A two-year follow-up analysis.J Pain Res. 2009; 2: 75-85
- Exercise therapy for treatment of non-specific low back pain.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005; CD000335
- The epidemiology, economic burden, and pharmacological treatment of chronic low back pain in France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the UK: A literature-based review.Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2009; 10: 2581-2592
- The impact of eurythmy therapy on stress coping strategies and health-related quality of life in healthy, moderately stressed adults.Complement Ther Med. 2011; 19: 247-255
- A systematic literature review on the effectiveness of eurythmy therapy.J Integr Med. 2015; 13: 217-230
- Non-specific low back pain.Lancet. 2017; 389: 736-747
- The economic burden of back pain in the UK.Pain. 2000; 84: 95-103
- Expenditures and health status among adults with back and neck problems.JAMA. 2008; 299: 656-664
- Prevalence of chronic low back pain: Systematic review.Rev Saude Publica. 2015; 49: 1https://doi.org/10.1590/S0034-8910.2015049005874
- A mind-body program for older adults with chronic low back pain: A randomized clinical trial.JAMA Inter Med. 2016; 176: 329-337
- Design and analysis of group-randomized trials: A review of recent methodological developments.Am J Public Health. 2004; 94: 423-432
- Chronic back pain in the general population in Germany 2002/2003: Prevalence and highly affected population groups.Gesundheitswesen. 2005; 67: 685-693
- Back pain, a communicable disease?.Int J Epidemiol. 2008; 37: 69-74
- Physical Therapy, or education for chronic low back pain: A randomized noninferiority trial.Ann Intern Med. 2017; 167: 85-94
- Back pain in the German adult population: prevalence, severity, and sociodemographic correlates in a multiregional survey.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2007; 32: 2005-2011
- Exercise interventions for the treatment of chronic low back pain: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Clin Rehabil. 2015; 29: 1155-1167
- Effects of complementary eurythmy therapy on heart rate variability.Complement Ther Med. 2009; 17: 161-167
- Comparing yoga, exercise, and a self-care book for chronic low back pain: a randomized, controlled trial.Ann Intern Med. 2005; 143: 849-856
- The treatment effect of exercise programmes for chronic low back pain.J Eval Clin Pract. 2010; 16: 484-491
- Fundamentals of Therapy. An Extension of the Art of Healing through Spiritual Knowledge.Rudolf Steiner Verlag, Dornach1983
- Eurythmie Therapie. Ein Übungsbuch [Eurythmy Therapy. An exercise book].Futurum, Basel2016
- A systematic review on the effectiveness of physical and rehabilitation interventions for chronic non-specific low back pain.Eur Spine J. 2011; 20: 19-39
- The Physiology of Therapeutic Eurythmy.Floris Book, Edinburgh, GB2010
- Costs of back pain in Germany.Eur J Pain. 2009; 13: 280-286
- Yoga treatment for chronic non-specific low back pain.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017; 1Cd010671
- Patterns and perceptions of care for treatment of back and neck pain: results of a national survey.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2003; 28 (discussion 298): 292-297
Software AG Foundation, Mahle Foundation, Damus-Donata e.V., and Christophorus Foundation supported the study. MK received financial support from the Humanus Institute. The funders had no role in the design and conduct of the study; collection, management, analysis, and interpretation of the data; preparation, review, or approval of the manuscript; or decision to submit the manuscript for publication.
The authors do not have any conflict of interest with the content of the manuscript.