- •Literacy-adapted psychosocial pain treatments produce changes in pain beliefs.
- •Individuals of low-socioeconomic status show improvements in pain beliefs.
- •Teaching patients about the biopsychosocial nature of pain is promising.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Exploring differences in pain beliefs within and between a large nonclinical (workplace) population and a clinical (chronic low back pain) population using the pain beliefs questionnaire.Phys Ther. 2013; 93: 1615-1624
- Both early and late changes in psychological variables relate to treatment outcome for musculoskeletal pain patients at risk for disability.Behav Res Ther. 2012; 50: 726-734
- Challenges and opportunities in pain management disparities research: Implications for clinical practice, advocacy, and policy.J Pain. 2012; 13: 611-619
- Pain assessment: global use of the Brief Pain Inventory.Ann Acad Med Singapore. 1994; 23: 129-138
- Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences.Academic press, 2013
- Editorial I: Gate Control Theory of Pain Stands the Test of Time.Oxford University Press, 2002
- Death by Opioids: Are there non-addictive scientific solutions?.J Syst Integr Neurosci. 2019; 5https://doi.org/10.15761/JSIN.1000211
- The pain beliefs questionnaire: An investigation of beliefs in the causes and consequences of pain.Pain. 1992; 51: 267-272
- The Learning About My Pain study (LAMPS) protocol: Reducing disparities with literacy-adapted psychosocial treatments for chronic pain, a comparative behavioral trial.J Health Psychol. 2016; 21: 2063-2074
- Income and Poverty in the United States: 2017.US Census Bureau, Washington, DC2018 (Current Population Reports)
- Effect Size Estimates: Current Use, Calculations, and Interpretation.J Exp Psychol Gen. 2012; 141
- Interdisciplinary chronic pain management: past, present, and future.Am Psychol. 2014; 69: 119-130
- The biopsychosocial approach to chronic pain: Scientific advances and future directions.Psychol Bull. 2007; 133: 581-624
- The unequal burden of pain: Confronting racial and ethnic disparities in pain.Pain Med. 2003; 4: 277-294
- Which pain coping strategies and cognitions are associated with outcomes of a cognitive behavioral intervention for neuropathic pain after spinal cord injury?.Topics in spinal cord injury rehabilitation. 2013; 19: 330-340
- Relieving Pain in America: A Blueprint for Transforming Prevention, Care, Education, and Research.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2011
- Changes after multidisciplinary pain treatment in patient pain beliefs and coping are associated with concurrent changes in patient functioning.Pain. 2007; 131: 38-47
- Pain reconceptualization after pain neurophysiology education in adults with chronic low back pain: A qualitative study.Pain Res Manag. 2018; 3745651https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/3745651
- An exploration of the extent and nature of reconceptualization of pain following pain neurophysiology education: A qualitative study of experiences of people with chronic musculoskeletal pain.Patient Educ Couns. 2016; 99: 1389-1393
- Diagnosis and treatment of low back pain.BMJ. 2006; 332: 1430-1434
- A guideline of selecting and reporting intraclass correlation coefficients for reliability research.J Chiropractic Med. 2016; 15: 155-163
- The PHQ-9: validity of a brief depression severity measure.J Gen Intern Med. 2001; 16: 606-613
- Literacy and cultural adaptations for cognitive behavioral therapy in a rural pain population.Transl Behav Med. 2011; 1: 216-223
- Does changing pain-related knowledge reduce pain and improve function through changes in catastrophizing?.Pain. 2016; 157: 922-930
- The efficacy of pain neuroscience education on musculoskeletal pain: A systematic review of the literature.Physiother Theory Pract. 2016; 32: 332-355
- Non-specific low back pain.Lancet North Am Ed. 2017; 389: 736-747
- Considerations in addressing the opioid epidemic and chronic pain within the USA.Pain Manag. 2019; 9: 131-138
- Behavioral and cognitive–behavioral treatment for chronic pain: Outcome, predictors of outcome, and treatment process.Spine. 2002; 27: 2564-2573
- From the gate to the neuromatrix.Pain. 1999; 82: S121-S126
- Adult attachment, anxiety, and pain self-efficacy as predictors of pain intensity and disability.Pain. 2006; 123: 146-154
- Fifteen years of explaining pain: The past, present, and future.J Pain. 2015; 16: 807-813
- Unraveling the barriers to reconceptualization of the problem in chronic pain: the actual and perceived ability of patients and health professionals to understand the neurophysiology.J Pain. 2003; 4: 184-189
- An initial psychometric evaluation of the pain concepts questionnaire in a low-SES setting.J Pain. 2021;
- The relationship of sociodemographic and psychological variables with chronic pain variables in a low-income population.Pain. 2017; 158: 1687-1696
- Normative data for common pain measures in chronic pain clinic populations: closing a gap for clinicians and researchers.Pain. 2019; 160: 1156-1165
- Changes in pain-related beliefs, coping, and catastrophizing predict changes in pain intensity, pain interference, and psychological functioning in individuals with myotonic muscular dystrophy and facioscapulohumeral dystrophy.Clin J Pain. 2012; 28: 47
- Thinking beyond muscles and joints: Therapists' and patients' attitudes and beliefs regarding chronic musculoskeletal pain are key to applying effective treatment.Man Ther. 2013; 18: 96-102
- A short portable mental status questionnaire for the assessment of organic brain deficit in elderly patients.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1975; 23: 433-441
- Correlation coefficients: Appropriate use and interpretation.Anesth Analg. 2018; 126: 1763-1768
- Guideline recommendations on the pharmacological management of non-specific low back pain in primary care–is there a need to change?.Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol. 2019; 12: 145-157
- A brief measure for assessing generalized anxiety disorder: The GAD-7.Arch Intern Med. 2006; 166: 1092-1097
- The pain catastrophizing scale: Development and validation.Psychol Assess. 1995; 7: 524-532
- Ronald Melzack Award Lecture: Putting the brain to work in cognitive behavioral therapy for chronic pain.Pain. 2020; 161: S27-S35
- Literacy-adapted cognitive behavioral therapy versus education for chronic pain at low-income clinics: A randomized controlled trial.Ann Intern Med. 2018; 168: 471-480
- Effect of intensive patient education vs placebo patient education on outcomes in patients with acute low back pain: A randomized clinical trial.JAMA Neurol. 2019; 76: 161-169
- Do beliefs, coping, and catastrophizing independently predict functioning in patients with chronic pain?.Pain. 2000; 85: 115-125
- Short-and long-term efficacy of brief cognitive-behavioral therapy for patients with chronic temporomandibular disorder pain: a randomized, controlled trial.Pain. 2006; 121: 181-194
- Heterogeneity of treatment effects in a randomized trial of literacy-adapted group cognitive-behavioral therapy, pain psychoeducation, and usual medical care for multiply disadvantaged patients with chronic pain.J Pain. 2019; 20: 1236-1248
- Inter-individual differences in the responses to pain neuroscience education in adults with chronic musculoskeletal pain: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.J Pain. 2020; 22: 9-20
- Pain neuroscience education for adults with chronic musculoskeletal pain: A mixed-methods systematic review and meta-analysis.J Pain. 2019; 20 (1140.e1-1140.e22)
- Wide Range Achievement Test 4 Professional Manual.Psychological Assessment Resources, Lutz, FL2006
- An empirical assessment of pain beliefs.Pain. 1989; 36: 351-358
- Are changes in fear-avoidance beliefs, catastrophizing, and appraisals of control, predictive of changes in chronic low back pain and disability?.Eur J Pain. 2004; 8: 201-210
This research was supported by the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) Award (Contract # 941) awarded to BET. NIH/NIA Grant supported the preparation of this article (T32AG049673) provided to the University of Florida for post-doctoral training (CAM). The authors declare no potential conflict of interest that relates to the research described in this paper.
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.
Disclaimer: The statements presented in this article are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of PCORI, its Board of Governors, or the Methodology Committee.