- •Neuropathic pain (NeuP) care and research is limited in low-income countries.
- •The Self-report version of the Leeds Assessment of Neuropathic Symptoms and Signs (S-LANSS) is a common and valid tool to screen NeuP.
- •We validated a Nepali translation of the S-LANSS in Nepali adults with chronic pain.
- •It can be used to screen NeuP in chronic pain for clinical and research use in Nepal.
- •It can potentially expand NeuP knowledge.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Development of a PROMIS item bank to measure pain interference.Pain. 2010; 150: 173-182
- An orthopedic ethnography in rural nepal.Med Anthropol. 1984; 8: 46-59
- Prevalence of painful diabetic neuropathy using the self-completed Leeds assessment of neuropathic symptoms and signs questionnaire in a population with diabetes.Can J Diabetes. 2015; 39: 285-295
- Diagnosis and assessment of neuropathic pain through questionnaires.Lancet Neurol. 2018; 17: 456-466
- Translation, cultural adaptation, and validation of Leeds Assessment of Neuropathic Symptoms and Signs (LANSS) and Self-Complete Leeds Assessment of Neuropathic Symptoms and Signs (S-LANSS) questionnaires into the Greek language.Pain Pract. 2016; 16: 552-564
- Guidelines for the process of cross-cultural adaptation of self-report measures.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2000; 25: 3186-3191
- Using screening tools to identify neuropathic pain.Pain. 2007; 127: 199-203
- The S-LANSS score for identifying pain of predominantly neuropathic origin: Validation for use in clinical and postal research.J Pain. 2005; 6: 149-158
- Chronic pain and cost: An epidemiological study in the communities of Sunsari district of Nepal.Nepal Med Coll J. 2007; 9: 6-11
- Neuropathic pain: Definition, assessment and epidemiology.Rev Neurol (Paris). 2019; 175: 16-25
- Prevalence of chronic pain with neuropathic characteristics in the general population.Pain. 2008; 136: 380-387
- An international survey of cancer pain characteristics and syndromes. IASP task force on cancer pain. International Association for the Study of Pain.Pain. 1999; 82: 263-274
- Initial adult health item banks and first wave testing of the patient-reported outcomes measurement information system (PROMIS™) network: 2005–2008.J Clin Epidemiol. 2010; 63: 1179
- National Planning Commission Secretariat.Central Bureau of Statistics, 2012
- Use of S-LANSS, a tool for screening neuropathic pain, for predicting postherpetic neuralgia in patients after acute herpes zoster events: a single-center, 12-month, prospective cohort study.J Pain. 2014; 15: 149-156
- Guidelines, criteria, and rules of thumb for evaluating normed and standardized assessment instruments in psychology.Psychol Assess. 1994; 6: 284-290
- The self -complete of Leeds assessment neuropathic symptoms and signs: An attempt to adapt it for Polish population.Pomeranian J Life Sci. 2016; 62: 18-21
- Primary care for low back pain: We don't know the half of it.Pain. 2020; 161: 663-665
- Prevalence of selected chronic non-communicable diseases in Nepal.J Nepal Health Res Counc. 2019; 17: 394-401
- Incidence rates and treatment of neuropathic pain conditions in the general population.PAIN®. 2008; 137: 681-688
- Translation and linguistic validation of the Self-Completed Leeds Assessment of Neuropathic Symptoms and Signs (S-LANSS) scale for use in a Libyan population.Pain Practice. 2013; 13: 198-205
- A comprehensive method for the translation and cross-cultural validation of health status questionnaires.Eval Health Prof. 2005; 28: 212-232
- Pharmacotherapy for neuropathic pain in adults: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet Neurol. 2015; 14: 162-173
- Prevalence of neuropathic pain in knee or hip osteoarthritis: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2017; 47: 1-8
- Translation and cultural adaptation of the Leeds Assessment of Neuropathic Symptoms and Signs (LANSS) pain scale into Arabic for use with patients with diabetes in Libya.Libyan J Med. 2017; 12 (1384288-1384288)
- NeuPSIG guidelines on neuropathic pain assessment.PAIN®. 2011; 152: 14-27
- Assessment of neuropathic pain in primary care.Am J Med. 2009; 122: S13-S21
HealthMeasures: PROMIS scoring manuals. Available at: http://www.healthmeasures.net Accessed Febraury 17, 2021
Higgins C, Sharma S, Hales T, Bimali I, Cameron P, Smith BH, Colvin L. Epidemiology of chronic pain in rural Nepal. Under preparation, 2021
- Review of measures of neuropathic pain.Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2006; 10: 159-166
- Nepali translation, cross-cultural adaptation and measurement properties of the Shoulder Pain and Disability Index (SPADI).J Orthop Surg Res. 2019; 14: 284
- Pain following stroke: A population-based follow-up study.PLoS One. 2011; 6: e27607
- Validity and reliability of the Turkish Self-administered Leeds Assessment of Neuropathic Symptoms and Signs (S-LANSS) questionnaire.Pain Med. 2010; 11: 1107-1114
- Challenges in the neuropsychological assessment of illiterate older adults.Lang Cogn Neurosci. 2017; 33: 373-386
- Validity and reliability of the Spanish-language version of the self-administered Leeds Assessment of Neuropathic Symptoms and Signs (S-LANSS) pain scale.Neurologia. 2018; 33: 505-514
- Neuropathic pain: Diagnosis and treatment.Pract Neurol. 2013; 13: 292-307
- Neuropathic pain screening questionnaires have limited measurement properties. A systematic review.J Clin Epidemiol. 2015; 68: 957-966
- Inter-rater reliability of Timed Up and Go test in older adults measured by physiotherapist and caregivers.Eur J Physiother. 2019; 22: 325-331
- Minimal clinically important changes in chronic musculoskeletal pain intensity measured on a numerical rating scale.Eur J Pain. 2004; 8: 283-291
- Can neuropathic screening tools be used as outcome measures?.Pain Med. 2011; 12: 276-281
- Translation and cross-cultural adaptation of Nepali versions of the patient-reported outcomes measurement information system (PROMIS(R)) pain intensity, pain interference, pain behavior, depression, and sleep disturbance short forms in chronic musculoskeletal pain.Qual Life Res. 2021; 30: 1215-1224
- State of clinical pain research in Nepal: A systematic scoping review.PAIN Reports. 2019; 4: e788
- Translation, cross-cultural adaptation, and measurement properties of the Nepali version of the central sensitization inventory (CSI).BMC Neurol. 2020; 20: 286
- Cross-cultural Adaptation and validation of the Nepali translation of the patient-specific functional scale.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2018; 48: 659-664
- Translation, cross-cultural adaptation and psychometric properties of the Nepali versions of numerical pain rating scale and global rating of change.Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2017; 15: 236
- Measurement properties of the Nepali version of the Connor Davidson resilience scales in individuals with chronic pain.Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2018; 16: 56
- Words that describe chronic musculoskeletal pain: Implications for assessing pain quality across cultures.J Pain Res. 2016; 9: 1057-1066
- Socioeconomic factors, psychological factors, and function in adults with chronic musculoskeletal pain from rural Nepal.J Pain Res. 2018; 11: 2385-2396
- Psychometric properties of nepali versions of PROMIS short from measures of pain intensity, pain interference, pain behaviour, depressions, and sleep disturbance.J Pain. 2018; 19: S59
- Clinimetric properties of the Nepali version of the Pain Catastrophizing Scale in individuals with chronic pain.J Pain Res. 2018; 11: 265-276
SIGN: Management of chronic pain: A national clinical guideline. Available at: https://www.sign.ac.uk/sign-136-management-of-chronic-pain.html2020 Accessed February 17, 2021
- Neuropathic pain in the community: prevalence, impact, and risk factors.Pain. 2020; 161: S127-S137
- Health and quality of life associated with chronic pain of predominantly neuropathic origin in the community.Clin J Pain. 2007; 23: 143-149
Terwee CB, Prinsen C, Chiarotto A, de Vet H, Bouter LM, Alonso J, Westerman MJ, Patrick DL, Mokkink LB: COSMIN methodology for assessing the content validity of PROMs–user manual, 2018.
- COSMIN methodology for evaluating the content validity of patient-reported outcome measures: A Delphi study.Qual Life Res. 2018; 27: 1159-1170
- The epidemiology of chronic pain of predominantly neuropathic origin. Results from a general population survey.J Pain. 2006; 7: 281-289
- Neuropathic pain in the general population: A systematic review of epidemiological studies.PAIN®. 2014; 155: 654-662
- An epidemiological study of neuropathic pain symptoms in Canadian adults.Pain Res Manag. 2016; 20169815750
- Validation of the S-LANSS in the community setting.Pain. 2007; 132: 189-194
- The prevalence of neuropathic pain: clinical evaluation compared with screening tools in a community population.Pain Med. 2009; 10: 586-593
Supported by Global Challenge Research Funds, The University of Dundee, Dundee, Scotland, UK.
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.