- •Patient education enhances rehabilitation of adolescent knee pain.
- •This study explored socio-cognitive process driving adolescents’ self-management.
- •Our data revealed that self-management followed a four-phase trajectory.
- •Acceptance was key to progressing adolescent's management of knee pain.
- •We present a model for integrating self-management in education concepts.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The theory of planned behavior.Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes. 1991; 50: 179-211
- The over time development of chronic illness self-management patterns: a longitudinal qualitative study.BMC Public Health. 2013; 13: 452
- Long-term adolescent multi-site musculoskeletal pain is associated with psychological distress and anxiety.Journal of Psychosomatic Research. 2017; 93: 28-32
- Self-efficacy: Toward a unifying theory of behavioral change.Psychological Review. 1977; 84: 191-215
- Everything is perfect, and we have no problems: Detecting and limiting social desirability bias in qualitative research.Qual Health Res. 2020; 30: 783-792
- Acceptance-versus change-based pain management: the role of psychological acceptance.Behav Modif SAGE Publications Inc. 2012; 36: 37-48
- Early Adolescents Perceptions of Health and Health Literacy*.The Journal of School Health; Kent. 2007; 77: 7-15
- Ties that bond: youth sport as a vehicle for social identity and positive youth development.Res Q Exerc Sport. 2017; 88: 209-214
- The zone of proximal development in vygotsky's analysis of learning and instruction.in: Kozulin A Gindis B Ageyev VS Miller SM Vygotsky's Educational Theory in Cultural Context. Cambridge University Press, 2003: 39-64 (1)
- 2018 Consensus statement on exercise therapy and physical interventions (orthoses, taping and manual therapy) to treat patellofemoral pain: recommendations from the 5th International Patellofemoral Pain Research Retreat, Gold Coast, Australia, 2017.British Journal of Sports Medicine. 2018; 52: 1170-1178
- Managing chronic illness at home: Three lines of work.Qualitative Sociology. 1985; 8: 224-247
- Patient education for patellofemoral pain: A systematic review.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy. 2020; 1: 1-36
- The phenomenological reduction as praxis.Journal of Consciousness Studies US: Imprint Academic. 1999; 6: 95-110
- A review of measures of erikson's stages of psychosocial development: Evidence for a general factor.J Adult Dev. 2017; 24: 58-76
- Adolescent social development and chronic pain.European Journal of Pain. 2008; 12: 765-774
- Social functioning and peer relationships in children and adolescents with chronic pain: A systematic review.Pain Research and Management. 2010; 15: 27-41
- Situational disease: elements of a social theory of disease based on a study of back trouble.Scandinavian Journal of Primary Health Care. 2002; 20: 25-30
- Effectiveness of self-management programmes for adolescents with a chronic illness: A systematic review.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2021; 77: 3585-3599
- Measuring clinical pain in chronic widespread pain: selected methodological issues.Best Practice & Research Clinical Rheumatology. 2003; 17: 575-592
- Adolescent physical activity and health.Sports Med. 2006; 36: 1019-1030
- Psykiske forstyrrelser og adfærdsproblemer.Almen medicin, Munksgaard. 2014; 1 (In: Hunskår S, editor): 458-511
- The think aloud method: a guide to user interface design.International Journal of Medical Informatics. 2004; 73: 781-795
- A developmental arrest? Interruption and identity in adolescent chronic pain.PAIN Reports. 2018; 3: e678
- Characterizing pain flares in adolescent inflammatory and non-inflammatory musculoskeletal disorders: A qualitative study using an interpretative phenomenological approach.European Journal of Pain. 2020; 24: 1785-1796
- Chronic illness self-management: taking action to create order.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2004; 13: 259-267
- Seven stages of an interview investigation.in: Kvale S Brinkmann S InterViews: Learning the Craft of Qualitative Research Interviewing. 2nd ed. SAGE, 2009: 97-312
- Illness beliefs and self-management in children and young people with chronic illness: a systematic review.Health Psychology Review. 2014; 8: 362-380
- The fear-avoidance model of musculoskeletal pain: current state of scientific evidence.J Behav Med. 2007; 30: 77-94
- Trajectories of musculoskeletal pain from adolescence to middle age: the role of early depressive symptoms, a 27-year follow-up of the Northern Swedish Cohort.Pain. 2018; 159: 67-74
- Adolescents’ perceptions of parental roles and involvement in diabetes management.Journal of Pediatric Nursing. 2005; 20: 405-414
- Adolescents with chronic illness and the transition to self-management: A systematic review.Journal of Adolescence. 2019; 72: 152-161
- Self-management interventions in the digital age: New approaches to support people with rheumatologic conditions.Best Practice & Research Clinical Rheumatology. 2012; 26: 321-333
- Self-management education: History, definition, outcomes, and mechanisms.ann behav med. 2003; 26: 1-7
- Qualitative research: standards, challenges, and guidelines.The Lancet. 2001; 358: 483-488
- An integrated patient journey mapping tool for embedding quality in healthcare service reform.Journal of Decision Systems. 2016; 25: 354-368
- Learning to live with the pain: acceptance of pain predicts adjustment in persons with chronic pain.Pain. 1998; 74: 21-27
- The concept of experiential learning and John Dewey's theory of reflective thought and action.International Journal of Lifelong Education. 2000; 19: 54-72
- [email protected]: The work of health information management in the household (himh): implications for consumer health informatics (CHI) innovations.Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association. 2005; 12: 648-656
- Getting access to what goes on in people's heads? reflections on the think-aloud technique.Proceedings of the second Nordic conference on Human-computer interaction. 2002; 1: 101-110
- Adolescent chronic illness: a qualitative study of psychosocial adjustment.Annals of the Academy of Medicine Singapore Academy of Medicine Singapore;. 2003; 32: 43-50
- Insights into pain: A review of qualitative research.Rev Pain. 2010; 4: 2-7
- Factors related to seeking health care among adolescents with musculoskeletal pain.PAIN®. 2011; 152: 896-903
- The shifting perspectives model of chronic illness.Journal of Nursing Scholarship. 2001; 33: 21-26
- The relationship between acceptance and cognitive representations of pain in participants of a pain management programme.Psychology, Health & Medicine. 2003; 8: 329-334
- Half of 12-15-year-olds with knee pain still have pain after one year.Dan Med J. 2013; 60: A4725
- Activity Modification and Load Management of Adolescents With Patellofemoral Pain: A Prospective Intervention Study Including 151 Adolescents.Am J Sports Med SAGE Publications Inc STM. 2019; 47: 1629-1637
- Five-year prognosis and impact of adolescent knee pain: a prospective population-based cohort study of 504 adolescents in Denmark.BMJ Open. 2019; 9e024113
- Is knee pain during adolescence a self-limiting condition?: prognosis of patellofemoral pain and other types of knee pain.The American Journal of Sports Medicine. 2016; 44: 1165-1171
- Exercise during school hours when added to patient education improves outcome for 2 years in adolescent patellofemoral pain: a cluster randomised trial.Br J Sports Med. 2015; 49: 406-412
- High prevalence of daily and multi-site pain – a cross-sectional population-based study among 3000 Danish adolescents.BMC Pediatrics. 2013; 13: 191
- Care-seeking behaviour of adolescents with knee pain: a population-based study among 504 adolescents.BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders. 2013; 14: 225
- Patient education in patellofemoral pain: potentially potent and essential, but under-researched.Br J Sports Med BMJ Publishing Group Ltd and British Association of Sport and Exercise Medicine. 2018; 52: 623-624
- Self-management interventions for young people with chronic conditions: A systematic overview.Patient Education and Counseling. 2015; 98: 704-715
- Adolescence: a foundation for future health.The Lancet. 2012; 379: 1630-1640
- Self-management in adolescents with chronic illness. What does it mean and how can it be achieved?.Med J Aust. 2005; 183: 405-409
- Incidence and prevalence of patellofemoral pain: A systematic review and meta-analysis.PLOS ONE Public Library of Science. 2018; 13e0190892
- Adolescent participation in sports and adult physical activity.American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2003; 24: 22-28
- Physical activity in childhood and adolescence as predictor of physical activity in young adulthood.Am J Prev Med. 1997; 13: 317-323
- A General Inductive Approach for Analyzing Qualitative Evaluation Data.American Journal of Evaluation. 2006; 27: 237-246
- Self-managing and managing self: practical and moral dilemmas in accounts of living with chronic illness.Chronic Illness. 2006; 2: 185-194
- Delineating the concept of self-management in chronic conditions: a concept analysis.BMJ Open. 2019; 9e027775
- Acceptance of Pain: Associations With Depression, Catastrophizing, and Functional Disability Among Children and Adolescents in an Interdisciplinary Chronic Pain Rehabilitation Program.Journal of Pediatric Psychology. 2013; 38: 756-765
- Pain in children: comparison of assessment scales.Pediatr Nurs. 1988; 14: 9-17
- Dilemmas in qualitative health research.Psychology & Health. 2000; 15: 215-228
- Fænomenologi.in: Collin F Køppe S Humanistisk Videnskabsteori. DR Multimedia, 2003: 121-138 (2)
Funding: This study was founded by the Danish Rheumatism Association [Grant number A4622 ], and Danish National Foundation for General Practice [Grant number 2017-00265 ]. The study was conducted within Center for General Practice (CAM-AAU), Department of Clinical Medicine at Aalborg University (AAU). There are no conflicts of interests within the author group.
Conflict of Interest: All authors declare no potential conflicts of interest in relation to the research, findings, authorship and/or publication of this article.
Original paper for: The Journal of Pain.