- •This study replicates diverging post-surgical pain trajectories among adolescents.
- •A “High and Persistent Pain” trajectory occurred in about 1 in 5 adolescents.
- •High pre-surgical pain and poor sleep were associated with High and Persistent Pain.
- •Post-surgical pain trajectories diverged during the initial 2 weeks at home.
- •Opportunity exists for early detection of those with high and increasing pain.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Baguley T: Serious stats: A guide to advanced statistics for the behavioral sciences. Palgrave Macmillan; 2012.
- The association between excessive screen-time behaviors and insufficient sleep among adolescents: findings from the 2017 youth risk behavior surveillance system.Psychiatry Res. 2019; 281: 1125-1186
- Pain trajectories following adolescent idiopathic scoliosis correction: analysis of predictors and functional outcomes.J Bone Jt Surg. 2021; 6: e20.00122
- Child and parent pain catastrophizing and pain from presurgery to 6 weeks postsurgery: examination of cross-sectional and longitudinal actor-partner effects.Pain. 2017; 158: 1886-1892
- The PedsQL: reliability and validity of the short-form generic core scales and asthma module.Med Care. 2005; 43: 256-265
- Predicting the pain continuum after adolescent idiopathic scoliosis surgery: a prospective cohort study.Eur J Pain. 2017; 21: 1252-1265
- Assessment of symptoms of DSM-IV anxiety and depression in children: a revised child anxiety and depression scale.Behav Res Ther. 2000; 38: 835-855
- Psychometric properties of the Revised child anxiety and depression scale in a clinical sample.Behav Res Ther. 2005; 43: 309-322
- Predictors of postoperative pain trajectories in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2014; 39: E174-E181
- Prevalence of insufficient, borderline, and optimal hours of sleep among high school students - United States, 2007.J Adolesc Heal. 2010; 46: 399-401
- Examination of the factor structure of the adolescent sleep-wake scale (ASWS).Behav Sleep Med. 2015; 13: 296-307
- Parental catastrophizing about their child's pain. The parent version of the Pain Catastrophizing Scale (PCS-P): a preliminary validation.Pain. 2006; 123: 254-263
- Sleep deficiency and chronic pain: potential underlying mechanisms and clinical implications.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2020; 45: 205-216
- The impact of school daily schedule on adolescent sleep.Pediatrics. 2005; 115: 1555-1561
- Identification of minimal clinically important difference scores of the PedsQL in children, adolescents, and young adults with type 1 and type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: 1891-1897
- Day-to-day experience in resolution of pain after surgery.Pain. 2017; 158: 2147-2154
- Homeostatic sleep regulation in adolescents.Sleep. 2005; 28: 1446-1454
- A note on a stata plugin for estimating group-based trajectory models.Sociol Methods Res. 2013; 42: 608-613
- A SAS procedure based on mixture models for estimating developmental trajectories.Sociol Methods Res. 2001; 29: 374-393
- Establishment of a new pain catastrophizing baseline after pediatric major surgery?.J Pain. 2015; 16: 388
- The relationship between reported sleep quality and sleep hygiene in Italian and American adolescents.Pediatrics. 2005; 115: 257-265
- Little's test of missing completely at random.Stata J. 2013; 13: 795-809
- A test of missing completely at random for multivariate data with missing values.J Am Stat Assoc. 1988; 83: 1198-1202
- An overview of mixture modelling for latent evolutions in longitudinal data: Modelling approaches, fit statistics and software.Adv Life Course Res [Internet] Elsevier. 2020; 43100323
- Predicting acute postoperative pain trajectories and long-term outcomes of adolescents after spinal fusion surgery.Pain Res Manag Feb. 2020; 249874739
- Distinguishing problematic from nonproblematic postsurgical pain: a pain trajectory analysis after total knee arthroplasty.Pain. 2015; 156: 460-468
- Validation of the numerical rating scale for pain intensity and unpleasantness in pediatric acute postoperative pain: sensitivity to change over time.J Pain. 2012; 13: 359-369
- Pain-related psychological correlates of pediatric acute post-surgical pain.J Pain Res. 2012; 5: 547-558
- PedsQL Multidimensional Fatigue Scale in sickle cell disease: feasibility, reliability, and validity.Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2014; 61: 171-177
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap) - A metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381
- A conceptual model of biopsychosocial mechanisms of transition from acute to chronic postsurgical pain in children and adolescents.J Pain Res. 2020; 13: 3071-3080
- A digital health peri-operative cognitive-behavioral intervention to prevent transition from acute to chronic postsurgical pain in adolescents undergoing spinal fusion (SurgeryPalTM): study protocol for a multisite randomized controlled trial.Trials. 2021; 22: 506
- Postsurgical pain in children: unraveling the interplay between child and parent psychosocial factors.Pain. 2017; 158: 1847-1848
- Prevalence and predictors of chronic postsurgical pain in children: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Pain [Internet] Elsevier Inc. 2017; 18: 605-614
- Presurgical psychosocial predictors of acute postsurgical pain and quality of life in children undergoing major surgery.J Pain. 2015; 16: 226-234
- Subacute pain trajectories following major musculoskeletal surgery in adolescents: A pilot study.Can J Pain. 2020; 4: 3-12
- The impact of pain on health-related quality of life in children after surgery.J Pain. 2014; 15: S34
- Psychosocial predictors of acute and chronic pain in adolescents undergoing major musculoskeletal surgery.J Pain. 2020; 21: 1236-1246
- Trajectories of postsurgical pain in children: Risk factors and impact of late pain recovery on long-term health outcomes after major surgery.Pain. 2015; 156: 2383-2389
- Pediatric Chronic postsurgical pain and functional disability: a prospective study of risk factors up to one year after major surgery.J Pain Res. 2019; 12: 3079-3098
- The GRoLTS-Checklist: guidelines for reporting on latent trajectory studies.Struct Equ Model. 2017; 24: 451-467
- Predictors and pain trajectories of chronic postoperative pain following hip preservation surgery.J Hip Preserv Surg. 2017; 27: 45-53
- Pain prevalence and trajectories following pediatric spinal fusion surgery.J Pain. 2013; 14
- The PedsQL 4.0 as a pediatric population health measure: feasibility, reliability, and validity.Ambulanc Pediatr. 2003; 3: 329-341
- A high preoperative pain and symptom profile predicts worse pain outcomes for children after spine fusion surgery.Anesth Analg. 2017; 124: 1594-1602
- Persistent post-surgical pain in children and young people: prediction, prevention, and management.Pain Rep. 2017; 2
This research was funded by the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) [grant number K23HD078239 ; PI: Jennifer Rabbitts]. REDCap at ITHS is supported by the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences of the National Institutes of Health under Award Number UL1 TR002319 .
The authors declare no competing interests.