- •Influence of negative psychological factors on DOMS intensity and cervical function was examined.
- •Psychological distress predicted DOMS intensity and loss of cervical function after DOMS induction.
- •Kinesiophobia/catastrophizing did not predict loss of function or cervical DOMS after its induction.
- •The protocol used generated loss of cervical function and also cervical DOMS, especially at 24hour.
- •High levels of distress may be a risk factor for chronification of symptoms caused by acute injury.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Fear- avoidance models of chronic pain: An overview.(editors)in: Asmundson GJG Vlaeyen JWS Crombez G Understanding and Treating Fear of Pain. Oxford University Press, Oxford2004: 3-24
- Validity and between-day reliability of the cervical range of motion (CROM) device.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2010; 40: 318-323
- Self-reported pain and disability outcomes from an endogenous model of muscular back pain.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2011; 12: 35
- Psychological factors and the development of chronic whiplash-associated disorder(s): A systematic review.Clin J Pain. 2018; 34: 755-768
- Post-trauma ratings of pre-collision pain and psychological distress predict poor outcome following acute whiplash trauma: A 12-month follow-up study.Pain. 2008; 139: 248-259
- Delayed onset muscle soreness: Treatment strategies and performance factors.Sport Med. 2003; 33: 145-164
- Epidemiology, diagnosis, and treatment of neck pain.Mayo Clin Proc. 2015; 90: 284-299
- A cross-sectional study of associations between kinesiophobia, pain, disability, and quality of life in patients with chronic low back pain.Adv Rheumatol. 2018; 58: 8
- Pain catastrophizing mediates the association between mindfulness and psychological distress in chronic pain syndrome.Pain Pract. 2020; 20: 714-723
- Eccentric and isometric shoulder rotator cuff strength testing using a hand-held dynamometer: Reference values for overhead athletes.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2016; 24: 3838-3847
- Pain catastrophizing and negative mood states after spinal cord injury: Transitioning from inpatient rehabilitation into the community.J pain. 2017; 18: 800-810
- Fear-avoidance model of chronic pain: The next generation.Clin J Pain. 2012; 28: 475-483
- Reliability of concentric, eccentric and isometric knee extension and flexion when using the REV9000 isokinetic dynamometer.J Hum Kinet. 2013; 37: 47-53
- Catastrophizing and experimental pain sensitivity: Only in vivo reports of catastrophic cognitions correlate with pain responses.J Pain. 2005; 6: 338-339
- The role of psychosocial processes in the development and maintenance of chronic pain.J Pain. 2016; 17: T70-T92
- Validation of an electronic visual analog scale mHealth tool for acute pain assessment: prospective cross-sectional study.J Med Internet Res. 2020; 22: e13468
- [Validation of the Spanish version of the pain catastrophizing scale in fibromyalgia].Med Clin (Barc). 2008; 131: 487-492
GBD 2015 Disease and Injury Incidence and Prevalence Collaborators: Global, regional, and national incidence, prevalence, and years lived with disability for 310 diseases and injuries, 1990-2015: A systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2015. Lancet 388:1545–1602, 2016.
- Fear of pain influences outcomes after exercise-induced delayed onset muscle soreness at the shoulder.Clin J Pain. 2007; 23: 76-84
- Pain-related fear predicts disability, but not pain severity: A path analytic approach of the fear-avoidance model.Eur J Pain. 2010; 14: 870.e1-870.e9
- Psychometric properties of the Spanish version of the Tampa Scale for Kinesiophobia (TSK).J Pain. 2011; 12: 425-435
- A validation study of the hospital anxiety and depression scale (HADS) in a Spanish population.Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2003; 25: 277-283
- Advances in delayed-onset muscle soreness (DOMS): Part I: Pathogenesis and diagnostics.Sportverletz Sportschaden. 2018; 32: 243-250
- Identifying risk factors for first-episode neck pain: A systematic review.Musculoskelet Sci Pract. 2017; 33: 77-83
- A comparison of various cervical muscle strength testing methods using a handheld dynamometer.Sports Health. 2019; 11: 59-63
- The fear-avoidance model of musculoskeletal pain: Current state of scientific evidence.J Behav Med. 2007; 30: 77-94
- Investigating the causal mechanisms of symptom recovery in chronic whiplash-associated disorders using bayesian networks.Clin J Pain. 2019; 35: 647-655
- Is kinesiophobia and pain catastrophising at baseline associated with chronic pain and disability in whiplash-associated disorders? A systematic review.Br J Sports Med. 2020; 54: 892-897
- Physical activity and the mediating effect of fear, depression, anxiety, and catastrophizing on pain related disability in people with chronic low back pain.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0180788
- Effects of recovery modes after knee extensor muscles eccentric contractions.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2004; 36: 1907-1915
- Differences in activation patterns between eccentric and concentric quadriceps contractions.J Sports Sci. 2002; 20: 83-91
- Are measures of pain sensitivity associated with pain and disability at 12-month follow up in chronic neck pain?.Musculoskelet Care. 2018; 16: 415-424
- Early identification and management of psychological risk factors (' “yellow flags”’) in patients with low back pain: A reappraisal.Phys Ther. 2011; 91: 737-753
- Delayed onset muscle soreness in neck/shoulder muscles.Eur J Pain. 2005; 9: 653
- Pain catastrophizing and fear of pain predict the experience of pain in body parts not targeted by a delayed-onset muscle soreness procedure.J Pain. 2015; 16: 1065-1076
- An experimental approach to examining psychological contributions to multisite musculoskeletal pain.J Pain. 2014; 15: 1156-1165
- Use of a visual analogue scale in a daily patient diary: Modelling cross-sectional time-series data on health-related quality of life.Soc Sci Med. 2004; 59: 351-360
- Investigating the fear avoidance model in people with whiplash.Clin J Pain. 2018; 34: 130-137
- Pain catastrophizing and kinesiophobia: Predictors of chronic low back pain.Am J Epidemiol. 2002; 156: 1028-1034
- Neck pain and lower back pain.Med Clin North Am. 2020; 104: 279-292
- The relation between neck strength and psychological distress: Preliminary evidence from collegiate soccer athletes.Concussion. 2021; 6: CNC91
- Isometric muscle fatigue of the paravertebral and upper extremity muscles after whiplash injury.Ann Saudi Med. 2017; 37: 297-307
- Global, regional, and national burden of neck pain in the general population, 1990-2017: Systematic analysis of the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017.BMJ. 2020; 368: m791
- Intratester and intertester reliability of neck isometric dynamometry.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004; 85: 1309-1316
- An experimental investigation of the relation between catastrophizing and activity intolerance.Pain. 2002; 100: 47-53
- A network analysis of the links between chronic pain symptoms and affective disorder symptoms.Int J Behav Med. 2019; 26: 59-68
- Pain-related fear and avoidance of physical exertion following delayed-onset muscle soreness.Pain. 2011; 152: 1540-1547
- The effects of eccentric exercise-induced muscle damage on running kinematics at different speeds.J Sports Sci. 2013; 31: 288-298
- Do beliefs, coping, and catastrophizing independently predict functioning in patients with chronic pain?.Pain. 2000; 85: 115-125
- An integrated model of chronic whiplash-associated disorder.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2017; 47: 462-471
- Risk factors for chronic disability in a cohort of patients with acute whiplash associated disorders seeking physiotherapy treatment for persisting symptoms.Physiotherapy. 2015; 101: 34-43
- Importance of psychological factors for the recovery from a first episode of acute non-specific neck pain - a longitudinal observational study.Chiropr Man Therap. 2016; 24: 9
- A simulation study of sample size demonstrated the importance of number of events per variable to develope prediction models in clustered data.J Clin Epidemiol. 2015; 68: 1406-1414
Conflicts of interest: The authors have stated that they had no interests which might be perceived as posing a conflict or bias.
Funding: This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.