- •Neuromodulatory effect of iTBS on facial perception is assessed.
- •iTBS produced facilitatory effect on facial perceptual distortion.
- •Magnitude of perceived size changes in the face region increased on iTBS of face SI.
- •Face SI is involved in the processing of facial perceptual distortion.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- A Meta-Analytic Review of Stand-Alone Interventions to Improve Body Image.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0139177
- Somatosensory processing and body representation.Cortex. 2009; 45: 1078-1084
- Rapid cortical reorganization and improved sensitivity of the hand following cutaneous anesthesia of the forearm.The European journal of neuroscience. 2009; 29: 837-844
- Secondary somatosensory cortex of primates: beyond body maps, toward conscious self-in-the-world maps.Exp Brain Res. 2020; 238: 259-272
- Chairside intraoral qualitative somatosensory testing: reliability and comparison between patients with atypical odontalgia and healthy controls.Journal of orofacial pain. 2013; 27: 165-170
- Use of theta-burst stimulation in changing excitability of motor cortex: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2016; 63: 43-64
- Multisensory modulation of experimentally evoked perceptual distortion of the face.Journal of oral rehabilitation. 2018; 45: 1-8
- Experimental orofacial pain and sensory deprivation lead to perceptual distortion of the face in healthy volunteers.Experimental brain research. 2015; 233: 2597-2606
- Reports of perceptual distortion of the face are common in patients with different types of chronic oro-facial pain.Journal of oral rehabilitation. 2016; 43: 409-416
- Perceptual distortions of the human body image produced by local anesthesia, pain and cutaneous stimulation.The Journal of physiology. 1999; 514: 609-616
- Somatosensory cortical representation of the body size.Human brain mapping. 2019; 40: 3534-3547
- The relationship of perceptual phenomena and cortical reorganization in upper extremity amputees.Neuroscience. 2001; 102: 263-272
- Influence of Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation on Human Neurochemistry and Functional Connectivity: A Pilot MRI/MRS Study at 7 T.Frontiers in neuroscience. 2019; 13: 1260
- Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation on Motor Recovery for Patients With Stroke: A PRISMA Compliant Systematic Review and Meta-analysis.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2020; 99: 99-108
- Reduction of intractable deafferentation pain by navigation-guided repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation of the primary motor cortex.Pain. 2006; 122: 22-27
- Body Image Distortion.StatPearls, StatPearls Publishing Copyright © 2020. StatPearls Publishing LLC., Treasure Island (FL)2020
- Theta burst stimulation of the human motor cortex.Neuron. 2005; 45: 201-206
- The theoretical model of theta burst form of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation.Clin Neurophysiol. 2011; 122: 1011-1018
- Distorted body image influences body schema in individuals with negative bodily attitudes.Neuropsychologia. 2019; 122: 38-50
- Non-painful phantom limb phenomena in amputees: incidence, clinical characteristics and temporal course.Acta Neurologica Scandinavica. 1984; 70: 407-414
- Modulation of somatosensory evoked potentials using transcranial magnetic intermittent theta burst stimulation.Clin Neurophysiol. 2007; 118: 2506-2511
- Effect of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation on altered perception of One's own face.Brain stimulation. 2020; 13: 554-561
- Quantitative and qualitative assessment of sensory changes induced by local anesthetics block of two different trigeminal nerve branches.Clin Oral Investig. 2019; 23: 2637-2649
- Analgesic effects of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation of the motor cortex in neuropathic pain: influence of theta burst stimulation priming.Eur J Pain. 2012; 16: 1403-1413
- Rapid modulation of GABA in sensorimotor cortex induced by acute deafferentation.Annals of Neurology. 2002; 52: 755-761
- Body perception disturbance: a contribution to pain in complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS).Pain. 2007; 133: 111-119
- More than skin deep: body representation beyond primary somatosensory cortex.Neuropsychologia. 2010; 48: 655-668
- A supramodal representation of the body surface.Neuropsychologia. 2011; 49: 1194-1201
- Continuous theta-burst stimulation demonstrates a causal role of premotor homunculus in action understanding.Psychological science. 2014; 25: 963-972
- The structural and functional connectivity neural underpinnings of body image.Human brain mapping. 2021; 42: 3608-3619
- A model-driven approach to studying dissociations between body size mental representations in anorexia nervosa.Body image. 2017; 20: 40-48
- I can't find it! Distorted body image and tactile dysfunction in patients with chronic back pain.Pain. 2008; 140: 239-243
- Cognitive outcomes of TMS treatment in bipolar depression: Safety data from a randomized controlled trial.J Affect Disord. 2018; 235: 20-26
- Dose-dependent effects of theta burst rTMS on cortical excitability and resting-state connectivity of the human motor system.J Neurosci. 2014; 34: 6849-6859
- Short-term brain 'plasticity' in humans: transient finger representation changes in sensory cortex somatotopy following ischemic anesthesia.Brain research. 1994; 642: 169-177
- Temporary interference in human lateral premotor cortex suggests dominance for the selection of movements. A study using transcranial magnetic stimulation.Brain : a journal of neurology. 1998; 121: 785-799
- Painful stimulation and transient blocking of nerve transduction due to local anesthesia evoke perceptual distortions of the face in healthy volunteers.The journal of pain : official journal of the American Pain Society. 2015; 16: 335-345
- Efficacy and Time Course of Theta Burst Stimulation in Healthy Humans.Brain stimulation. 2015; 8: 685-692
- The After-Effect of Accelerated Intermittent Theta Burst Stimulation at Different Session Intervals.Frontiers in neuroscience. 2020; 14: 576
Declaration of Competing Interest: None of the authors has any conflicts of interests
Funding: This study was funded by Det Frie Forskningsråd, Danish Council for Independent Research with grant reference number 6110-00156.