- •Fitbits are a promising tool to help promote consistent activity in patients with chronic pain.
- •In our 10-week mind-body program, Fitbit step counts peaked at weeks 6 and 8.
- •Achieving step goals was linked to improved physical function (self-report, 6MWT) and anxiety.
- •Achieving step goals was not associated with ActiGraph performance or depression.
- •Mind-body skills and quota-based pacing using Fitbits may enhance chronic pain outcomes.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Integrating Mobile-health, health coaching, and physical activity to reduce the burden of chronic low back pain trial (IMPACT): A pilot randomised controlled trial.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2019; 20: 71
- Activity pacing, avoidance, endurance, and associations with patient functioning in chronic pain: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 93 (e7): 2109-2121
- Mindfulness training as a clinical intervention: A conceptual and empirical review.Clin Psychol Sci Pract. 2003; 10: 125-143
- The relationship between musculoskeletal injury and objectively measured physical activity levels: A critically appraised topic.J Sport Rehabil. 2020; 29: 243-247
- Activity pacing in chronic pain management: One aim, but which method? Part two: National activity pacing survey.Br J Occup Ther. 2004; 67: 481-487
- Randomized trial of a fitbit-based physical activity intervention for women.Am J Prev Med. 2015; 49: 414-418
- Comparison of older and newer generations of ActiGraph accelerometers with the normal filter and the low frequency extension.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2013; 10: 51
- The relationship of self-efficacy to catastrophizing and depressive symptoms in community-dwelling older adults with chronic pain: A moderated mediation model.PLOS ONE. 2018; 13 (Tan MP, editor)e0203964
- Validation of accelerometer wear and nonwear time classification algorithm.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2011; 43: 357-364
- Comparison of wrist-worn Fitbit Flex and waist-worn ActiGraph for measuring steps in free-living adults.PLOS ONE. 2017; 12 (Buchowski M, editor)e0172535
- Fear-avoidance model of chronic pain: The next generation.Clin J Pain. 2012; 28: 475-483
- The STROBE guidelines.Saudi J Anaesth. 2019; 13: S31-S34
- From ideas to efficacy: The ORBIT model for developing behavioral treatments for chronic diseases.Health Psychol. 2015; 34: 971-982
- Not to exercise, or how to exercise in patients with chronic pain? Applying science to practice.Clin J Pain. 2015; 31: 108-114
- Multidimensional diagnostic criteria for chronic pain: Introduction to the ACTTION–american pain society pain taxonomy (AAPT).J Pain. 2016; 17: T1-T9
- Performance of the ActiGraph accelerometer using a national population-based sample of youth and adults.BMC Res Notes. 2015; 8: 7
Faust L, Purta R, Hachen D, Striegel A, Poellabauer C, Lizardo O, Chawla NV: Exploring Compliance: Observations from a Large Scale Fitbit Study. Proc 2nd Int Workshop Soc Sens [Internet] Pittsburgh PA USA: ACM; page 55–602017 [cited 2022 Mar 23]. Available from: 10.1145/3055601.3055608
Fitabase: Research Device Data and Analytics [Internet]. Available from: http://www.fitabase.com
- the MHADIE consortium: Validation of the “World Health Organization disability assessment schedule, WHODAS-2” in patients with chronic diseases.Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2010; 8: 51
- Physical activity and exercise for chronic pain in adults: An overview of cochrane reviews. Cochrane pain, palliative and supportive care group, editor.Cochrane Database Syst Rev [Internet]. 2020; 2017 ([cited 2022 Mar 23]. Available from:)
- Physical activity levels in individuals with and without patellofemoral pain.Phys Ther Sport. 2017; 27: 12-16
- A controlled study of a stress-reduction, cognitive-behavioral treatment program in fibromyalgia.J Musculoskelet Pain. 1994; 2: 53-66
- Influence of the Fitbit Charge HR on physical activity, aerobic fitness and disability in non-specific back pain participants.J Sports Med Phys Fitness [Internet]. 2017; 57 ([cited 2022 Mar 23]. Available from)
- Development and early feasibility testing of a mind-body physical activity program for patients with heterogeneous chronic pain; the getactive study.J Pain Res Volume. 2019; 12: 3279-3297
- Pain catastrophizing and limiting behavior mediate the association between anxiety and postconcussion symptoms.Psychosomatics. 2020; 61: 49-55
- A mind-body physical activity program for chronic pain with or without a digital monitoring device: proof-of-concept feasibility randomized controlled trial.JMIR Form Res. 2020; 4: e18703
- Sustainability of improvements in physical and emotional function following a mind–body physical activity program for chronic pain.J Altern Complement Med. 2021; 27: 360-364
- Comparison of FitBit® Ultra to ActiGraphTM GT1M for Assessment of Physical Activity in Young Adults During Treadmill Walking.Open Sports Med J. 2014; 8: 11-15
- Fitbit wear-time and patterns of activity in cancer survivors throughout a physical activity intervention and follow-up: Exploratory analysis from a randomised controlled trial.PLOS ONE. 2020; 15 (Bergman P, editor)e0240967
- Patterns of fitbit use and activity levels throughout a physical activity intervention: Exploratory analysis from a randomized controlled trial.JMIR MHealth UHealth. 2018; 6: e29
- Impact of variation in physical activity after total joint replacement.J Pain Res Volume. 2018; 11: 2399-2406
- Physical functioning and mindfulness skills training in chronic pain: A systematic review.J Pain Res Volume. 2019; 12: 179-189
- Measurement of health status.Control Clin Trials. 1989; 10: 407-415
- Acceptability and Effects of Commercially Available Activity Trackers for Chronic Pain Management Among Older African American Adults.Pain Med. 2020; 21: e68-e78
- Does increasing steps per day predict improvement in physical function and pain interference in adults with fibromyalgia? Daily step count increase and fibromyalgia improvement.Arthritis Care Res. 2014; 66: 1887-1894
- Experiences and attitudes about physical activity and exercise in patients with chronic pain: A qualitative interview study.J Pain Res Volume. 2018; 11: 133-144
- The efficacy of interdisciplinary rehabilitation for improving function in people with chronic pain.Pain Res Treat. 2016; 2016: 1-6
- How does physical activity modulate pain?.Pain. 2017; 158: 369-370
- Association of step volume and intensity with all-cause mortality in older women.JAMA Intern Med. 2019; 179: 1105
- Does moderate-to-high intensity nordic walking improve functional capacity and pain in fibromyalgia? A prospective randomized controlled trial.Arthritis Res Ther. 2010; 12: R189
- The validity and reliability of screening measures for depression and anxiety disorders in multiple sclerosis.Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2018; 20: 9-15
- Behaviour change techniques associated with adherence to prescribed exercise in patients with persistent musculoskeletal pain: Systematic review.Br J Health Psychol. 2019; 24: 10-30
- Effective techniques in healthy eating and physical activity interventions: A meta-regression.Health Psychol. 2009; 28: 690-701
- “WALK30×5”: A feasibility study of a physiotherapy walking programme for people with mild to moderate musculoskeletal conditions.Physiotherapy. 2020; 107: 275-285
- An exploratory analysis of accelerometer-measured physical activity and emotional functioning in patients with chronic pain.J Acad Consult-Liaison Psychiatry. 2021; 62: 234-242
- Longitudinal change in physical activity and its correlates in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis.Phys Ther. 2013; 93: 1037-1048
- The IASP classification of chronic pain for ICD-11: chronic primary pain.Pain. 2019; 160: 28-37
- A combined physical activity and fall prevention intervention improved mobility-related goal attainment but not physical activity in older adults: a randomised trial.J Physiother. 2019; 65: 16-22
Outcomes measurement information system: Brief Guide PROMIS Depress. Instrum. 2015. Available from: http://www.healthmeasures.net/images/PROMIS/manuals/PROMIS_Anxiety_Scoring_Manual.pdf
Outcomes measurement information system: Brief Guide PROMIS Anxiety Instrum. 2015. Available from: http://www.healthmeasures.net/images/PROMIS/manuals/PROMIS_Anxiety_Scoring_Manual.pdf
- Validity of the Fitbit activity tracker for measuring steps in community-dwelling older adults.BMJ Open Sport Exerc Med. 2015; 1e000013
- Item banks for measuring emotional distress from the patient-reported outcomes measurement information system (PROMIS®): Depression, anxiety, and anger.Assessment. 2011; 18: 263-283
- Depression in patients with chronic pain attending a specialised pain treatment centre: Prevalence and impact on health care costs.Pain. 2016; 157: 1472-1479
- Interpreting small differences in functional status: The six minute walk test in chronic lung disease patients.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1997; 155: 1278-1282
Reeve B, Hays R, Bjorner J, Cook K, Crane P, Teresi J, Thissen D, Dennis Revicki, Weiss D, Hambleton R, Liu H, Gershon R, Reise S, Lai J-S, Cella D: Psychometric evaluation and calibration of health-related quality of life item banks: Plans for the patient-reported outcomes measurement information system (PROMIS). 45:S22–31, 2007.
- Validity and reliability of Fitbit activity monitors compared to ActiGraph GT3X+ with female adults in a free-living environment.J Sci Med Sport. 2017; 20: 578-582
- Fitbit-based interventions for healthy lifestyle outcomes: Systematic review and meta-analysis.J Med Internet Res. 2020; 22: e23954
- A stage model of behavioral therapies research: Getting started and moving on from stage I.Clin Psychol Sci Pract. 2001; 8: 133-142
- Comparison of physical activity measures derived from the fitbit flex and the ActiGraph GT3X+ in an employee population with chronic knee symptoms.ACR Open Rheumatol. 2020; 2: 48-52
- Beyond novelty effect: A mixed-methods exploration into the motivation for long-term activity tracker use.JAMIA Open. 2019; 2: 62-72
- The IASP classification of chronic pain for ICD-11: Applicability in primary care.Pain. 2019; 160: 83-87
- Contributions of physical function and satisfaction with social roles to emotional distress in chronic pain: A Collaborative Health Outcomes Information Registry (CHOIR) study.Pain. 2015; 156: 2627-2633
- Physical activity in COPD: Minimal clinically important difference for medical events.Chron Respir Dis. 2019; 16147997311881642
- A classification of chronic pain for ICD-11.Pain. 2015; 156: 1003-1007
- How many steps/day are enough? For adults.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2011; 8: 79
- Gender differences in the prevalence of chronic pain and leisure time physical activity among US adults: A NHANES study.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2019; 16: 988
- Multiple McNemar Tests.Biometrics. 2010; 66: 1185-1191
- Motivation for behavior change in patients with chest pain.Health Educ Emerald Group Publishing Limited;. 2005; 105: 304-321
World health organization: Guidance on community mental health services: promoting person-centred and rights-based approaches [Internet]. Guid. Tech. Packag. Community Ment. Health Serv. Promot. Pers.-Centred Rights-Based Approaches. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2021 [cited 2022 Mar 23]. Available from: https://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/341648
World Health Organization: Physical activity [Internet]. 2020. Available from: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/physical-activity
- Daily pain catastrophizing predicts less physical activity and more sedentary behavior in older adults with osteoarthritis.Pain. 2020; 161: 2603-2610
This study was funded by an R34 grant from the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH; 1R34AT009356-01A1 ) to the senior author and K23 grant from NCCIH ( 1K23AT01065301A1 ) to the second author. The first author is supported by a T32 fellowship from National Institutes of Health ( T32MH112485 ).
We declare no relevant conflicts of interests.