- •Mindfulness does not relate to experimental pain in healthy adults.
- •Mindfulness does not relate to headache characteristics in migraine patients.
- •Mindfulness does not associate with default mode network (DMN) connectivity in healthy adults.
- •Mindfulness does not associate with DMN connectivity in migraine.
- •Non-judging of experience may relate to pain, catastrophizing and DMN connectivity in migraine.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Assessment of mindfulness by self-report: The Kentucky inventory of mindfulness skills.Assessment. 2004; 11 (Available from:): 191-206
- Using self-report assessment methods to explore facets of mindfulness.Assessment. 2006; 13: 27-45
- Construct validity of the five facet mindfulness questionnaire in meditating and nonmeditating samples.Assessment. 2008; 15: 329-342
- A component based noise correction method (CompCor) for BOLD and perfusion based fMRI.Neuroimage. 2007; 37: 90-101
- Meditation experience is associated with differences in default mode network activity and connectivity.Proc Natl Acad Sci. 2011; 108: 20254-20259
- Enhanced mindfulness-based stress reduction in episodic migraine - Effects on sleep quality, anxiety, stress, and depression: A secondary analysis of a randomized clinical trial.Pain. 2022; 163: 436-444
- Mindfulness, functioning and catastrophizing after multidisciplinary pain management for chronic low back pain.Pain. 2012; 153: 644-650
- The role of state and trait positive affect and mindfulness in affective reactivity to pain in chronic migraine.Heal Psychol. 2019; 38: 94-102
- Pain catastrophizing mediates the association between mindfulness and psychological distress in chronic pain syndrome.Pain Pract. 2020; 20: 714-723
- Neural correlates of focused attention during a brief mindfulness induction.Soc Cogn Affect Neurosci. 2013; 8: 40-47
- Interactive effects of pain catastrophizing and mindfulness on pain intensity in women with fibromyalgia.Heal Psychol Open. 2018; 52055102918807406
- Attending to the present: mindfulness meditation reveals distinct neural modes of self-reference.Soc Cogn Affect Neurosci. 2007; 2: 313-322
- Pain attenuation through mindfulness is associated with decreased cognitive control and increased sensory processing in the brain.Cereb Cortex. 2012; 22: 2692-2702
- Meditation leads to reduced default mode network activity beyond an active task.Cogn Affect Behav Neurosci. 2015; 15: 712-720
- A non-elaborative mental stance and decoupling of executive and pain-related cortices predicts low pain sensitivity in Zen meditators.Pain. 2011; 152: 150-156
- Trait mindfulness is associated with lower pain reactivity and connectivity of the default mode network.J Pain. 2019; 20: 645-654
- Impaired functioning and quality of life in severe migraine: The role of catastrophizing and associated symptoms.Cephalalgia. 2007; 27: 1156-1165
- Differential engagement of anterior cingulate and adjacent medial frontal cortex in adept meditators and non-meditators.Neurosci Lett. 2007; 421: 16-21
- Altered brain structure and function correlate with disease severity and pain catastrophizing in migraine patients.eNeuro. 2014; 1
- A dual-subsystem model of the brain's default network: Self-referential processing, memory retrieval processes, and autobiographical memory retrieval.Neuroimage. 2012; 61: 966-977
- A six-item short-form survey for measuring headache impact: The HIT-6TM.Qual Life Res. 2003; 12: 963-974
- Migraine disability, pain catastrophizing, and headache severity are associated with evoked pain and targeted by mind-body therapy.medRxiv. 2021; (07.05.21259849, 2021)
- Dynamic functional connectivity of the default mode network tracks daydreaming.Neuroimage. 2014; 100: 471-480
- Mindfulness is associated with psychological health and moderates pain in knee osteoarthritis.Osteoarthr Cartil W.B. Saunders. 2017; 25: 824-831
- The global burden of migraine: Measuring disability in headache disorders with WHO's Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF).J Headache Pain. 2005; 6: 429-440
- Mindfulness in medicine.JAMA. 2008; 300: 1350-1352
- Altered anterior insula activation during anticipation and experience of painful stimuli in expert meditators.Neuroimage. 2013; 64: 538-546
- Precentral gyrus discrepancy in electronic versions of the Talairach atlas.Neuroimage. 2004; 21: 450-455
- An Automated Method for Neuroanatomic and Cytoarchitectonic Atlas-Based Interrogation of fMRI Data Sets.Neuroimage. 2003; 19: 1233-1239
- The role of mindfulness in a contextual cognitive-behavioral analysis of chronic pain-related suffering and disability.Pain. 2007; 131: 63-69
- Dispositional mindfulness and acute heat pain: Comparing stimulus-evoked pain with summary pain assessment.Psychosom Med. 2021; 83: 539-548
- Trait mindfulness and catastrophizing as mediators of the association between pain severity and pain-related impairment.Pers Individ Dif Pergamon. 2014; 66: 68-73
- Towards a consensus regarding global signal regression for resting state functional connectivity MRI.Neuroimage. 2017; 154: 169-173
- Reduction of motion-related artifacts in resting state fMRI using aCompCor.Neuroimage. 2014; 96: 22-35
- Dispositional mindfulness and inflammatory bowel disease: Mindful awareness mediates the relation between severity and quality of life, stress, and fatigue.Mindfulness. 2021; 12: 1524-1533
- Trait mindfulness and functional connectivity in cognitive and attentional resting state networks.Front Hum Neurosci. 2019; 13: 112
- The role of trait mindfulness in the pain experience of adolescents.J Pain. 2013; 14: 1709-1718
- Spurious but systematic correlations in functional connectivity MRI networks arise from subject motion.Neuroimage. 2012; 59: 2142-2154
- Methods to detect, characterize, and remove motion artifact in resting state fMRI.Neuroimage. 2014; 84: 320-341
- Sources and implications of whole-brain fMRI signals in humans.Neuroimage. 2017; 146: 609-662
- Recent progress and outstanding issues in motion correction in resting state fMRI.Neuroimage. 2022; 105: 536-551
- Low mindfulness predicts pain catastrophizing in a fear-avoidance model of chronic pain.Pain. 2010; 148: 120-127
- Enhanced mindfulness-based stress reduction in episodic migraine: A randomized clinical trial with magnetic resonance imaging outcomes.Pain. 2020; 161: 1837-1846
- Association between pain and mindfulness in multiple sclerosis: A cross-sectional survey.Int J MS Care. 2018; 20: 28-34
- The pain catastrophizing scale: Development and validation.Psychol Assess. 1995; 7: 524-532
- Dispositional mindfulness and its relationship with distress and functioning in adolescents with chronic pain and low-level pain.J Pediatr Psychol. 2018; 43: 1038-1046
- A unified statistical approach for determining significant signals in images of cerebral activation.Hum Brain Mapp. 1996; 4: 58-73
- Validation of the Headache Impact Test (HIT-6TM) across episodic and chronic migraine.Cephalalgia. 2011; 31: 357-367
- NeuroSynth: a new platform for large-scale automated synthesis of human functional neuroimaging data.in: Front Neuroinformatics Conerence Abstr 4th INCF Congr Neuroinformatics Frontiers Media SA. 2011
- Mindfulness meditation-based pain relief employs different neural mechanisms than placebo and sham mindfulness meditation-induced analgesia.J Neurosci. 2015; 35: 15307-15325
- The effects of brief mindfulness meditation training on experimentally induced pain.J Pain. 2010; 11: 199-209
- Mindfulness meditation-related pain relief: Evidence for unique brain mechanisms in the regulation of pain.Neurosci Lett. 2012; 520: 165-173
- Neural mechanisms supporting the relationship between dispositional mindfulness and pain.Pain. 2018; 159: 2477-2485
Conflicts of Interest: DAS is an advisor to Empower Therapeutics. The remaining authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.