Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Arthritis Research UK: Understanding arthritis: A parliamentary guide to musculoskeletal health [Internet]. Arthritis Research UK; 2013 [cited 2022 May 12]. Available at: https://www.versusarthritis.org/media/2128/understanding-arthritis-july-2013.pdf. Accessed May 12, 2022.
- Wishful seeing: more desired objects are seen as closer.Psychol Sci. 2010; 21: 147-152
- Explain Pain.2nd ed. Noigroup Publications, Adelaide2013
- Explain Pain.Noigroup Publications, Adelaide2003
- A mechanism-based approach to physical therapist management of pain.Phys Ther. 2018; 98: 302-314
- Pain neurophysiology education for the management of individuals with chronic low back pain: Systematic review and meta-analysis.Man Ther. 2011; 16: 544-549
- Reconsidering the International association for the study of pain definition of pain.PAIN Reports. 2018; 3: e634
- Pain is not a “thing”: How that error affects language and logic in pain medicine.J Pain. 2022; 8: 1283-1293
- Proposed clinical criteria for nociplastic pain in the musculoskeletal system are flawed.PAIN. 2022; 163: e606
- Effectiveness of education based on neuroscience in the treatment of musculoskeletal chronic pain.Rev Neurol. 2017; 65: 1-12
- Chronic nociplastic pain affecting the musculoskeletal system: Clinical criteria and grading system.Pain. 2021; 162: 2629-2634
- What do patients value learning about pain? A mixed-methods survey on the relevance of target concepts after pain science education.Pain. 2021; 162: 2558-2568
- The effect of neuroscience education on pain, disability, anxiety, and stress in chronic musculoskeletal pain.Arch Phys Med Rehab. 2011; 92: 2041-2056
- The efficacy of pain neuroscience education on musculoskeletal pain: A systematic review of the literature.Physiother Theory Pract. 2016; 32: 332-355
- The human pain system exhibits higher-order plasticity (metaplasticity).Neurobiol Learn Memory. 2018; 154: 112-120
- Painful Yarns.Dancing Giraffe Press, Canberra, Australia2007
- Whole of community pain education for back pain. Why does first-line care get almost no attention and what exactly are we waiting for?.Br J Sports Med. 2019; 53: 588-589
- The Explain Pain Handbook: Protectometer.Noigroup Publications, Adelaide, Australia2015
- Fifteen years of explaining pain: the past, present, and future.J Pain. 2015; 16: 807-813
- Explain Pain Supercharged.Noigroup Publications, Adelaide2017
Neck Pain [Internet]. International association for the study of pain (IASP). [cited 2022 May 12]. Available at: https://www.iasp-pain.org/resources/fact-sheets/neck-pain/. Accessed May 12, 2022.
- Short-term impact of combining pain neuroscience education with exercise for chronic musculoskeletal pain: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Pain. 2022; 163: e20-e30
- Feeling stiffness in the back: A protective perceptual inference in chronic back pain.Sci Rep. 2017; 7: 9681
- Perceptual bias in pain: A switch looks closer when it will relieve pain than when it won't.Pain. 2013; 154: 1961-1965
- Neurophysiological pain education for patients with chronic low back pain: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Clin J Pain. 2018; 34: 778-786
- A healing journey with chronic pain: A meta-ethnography synthesizing 195 qualitative studies.Pain Med. 2021; 22: 1333-1344
Versus Arthritis: The state of musculoskeletal health 2021: Arthritis and other musculoskeletal conditions in numbers [Internet]. Versus Arthritis; 2021 [cited 2022 May 12]. Available at: https://www.versusarthritis.org/media/24238/state-of-msk-health-2021.pdf. Accessed May 12, 2022.
Wall P: Pain: The Science of Suffering. 1st edition. Columbia University Press; 2002.
- The relationship of perceived pain to afferent nerve impulses.Trends in Neurosciences. 1986; 9: 254-255
- Pain neuroscience education for adults with chronic musculoskeletal pain: A mixed-methods systematic review and meta-analysis.J Pain. 2019; 20: 1140.e1-1140.e22
- The ‘survival perceptions’: Time to put some Bacon on our plates?.J Physiother. 2012; 58: 73-75
- Neuroanatomy of the pain system and of the pathways that modulate pain.J Clin Neurophysiol. 1997; 14: 2-31
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of pain neuroscience education for chronic low back pain: Short-and long-term outcomes of pain and disability.Eur J Pain. 2019; 23: 234-249
- The semantics of microglia activation: Neuroinflammation, homeostasis, and stress.J Neuroinflamm. 2021; 18: 258
- What is this thing called pain?.J Clin Invest Am Soc Clin Invest. 2010; 120: 3742-3744
Yun J: A comparison of pain neurophysiology education with therapeutic interventions versus therapeutic interventions alone on pain and function in individuals with chronic low back pain: a meta-analysis. Available at: https://repository.library.fresnostate.edu/bitstream/handle/10211.3/192495/Yun_csu_6050D_10406.pdf?sequence=1. Accessed May 12, 2022.
Funding: GLM and CB are funded by a Leadership Investigator Grant from the NHMRC of Australia (1178444). MRH is funded by an ARC Future fellowship (FT180100565). VJM is supported by the US National Institutes of Health on grant K43 TW011442.
GLM receives royalties for books about pain, speaker fees for lectures about pain, is an adviser to Reality Health and ConnectHealth, and is a non-paid Director of Painaustralia. BMW has received fees to speak about pain neuroscience and rehabilitation for people with persistent pain. AKM is supported by a Research Training Programme (RTP) domestic stipend as a postgraduate student at the University of South Australia.