- •Ingesting 75-g glucose enhanced pain sensitivity during cold-water immersion.
- •Glucose ingestion weakened pressure pain inhibition after cold-water immersion.
- •Glucose ingestion suppressed resting heart rate variability.
- •The effects of glucose were strongest in people with excess body fat mass.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Effect of prior intensive insulin treatment during the diabetes control and complications trial (DCCT) on peripheral neuropathy in type 1 diabetes during the epidemiology of diabetes interventions and complications (EDIC) study.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: 1090-1096
- Mohr Drewes A: Assessment and manifestation of central sensitisation across different chronic pain conditions.Eur J Pain. 2018; 22: 216-241
- International physical activity questionnaire: 12-country reliability and validity.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2003; 35: 1381-1395
- Pain-related catastrophizing in healthy women is associated with greater temporal summation of and reduced habituation to thermal pain.Clin J Pain. 2006; 22: 730-737
- Inflammatory cytokine concentrations are acutely increased by hyperglycemia in humans: Role of oxidative stress.Circulation. 2002; 106: 2067-2072
- G*Power 3: A flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences.Behav Res Methods. 2007; 39: 175-191
- Insulin's actions on vascular tissues: Physiological effects and pathophysiological contributions to vascular complications of diabetes.Mol Metab. 2021; 52
- Increased oxidative stress in obesity and its impact on metabolic syndrome.J Clin Invest. 2004; 114: 1752-1761
- Conditioned pain modulation is more efficient in patients with painful diabetic polyneuropathy than those with nonpainful diabetic polyneuropathy.Pain. 2021; 163: 827-833
- Acute glycemic and insulinemic effects of low-energy sweeteners: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Am J Clin Nutr. 2020; 112: 1002-1014
- Ovarian hormones and chronic pain: A comprehensive review.Pain. 2014; 155: 2448-2460
- Obesity and diabetes.in: Holt RIG Cockram CS Flyvbjerg A Goldstein BJ Textbook of diabetes. Hoboken. Wiley-Blackwell, 2017: 215-228
- Insulin enhances endothelial function throughout the arterial tree in healthy but not metabolic syndrome subjects.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2016; 101: 1198-1206
- Dual energy X-ray absorptiometry body composition reference values from NHANES.PLoS One. 2009; 4
- Reliability of conditioned pain modulation: A systematic review.Pain. 2016; 157: 2410-2419
- The role of oxidative stress in postprandial endothelial dysfunction.Nutr Res Rev. 2012; 25: 288-301
- Diffuse noxious inhibitory controls (DNIC).in: Basbaum AI Bushnell MC The Senses: A Comprehensive Reference. Elsevier, Amsterdam2008: 763-773
- Relative handgrip strength is a simple indicator of cardiometabolic risk among middle-aged and older people: A nationwide population-based study in Taiwan.PLoS One. 2016; 11
- Assessment of resistance vessel function in human skeletal muscle: Guidelines for experimental design, Doppler ultrasound, and pharmacology.Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2020; 318: H301-H325
- The structure of negative emotional states: Comparison of the Depression Anxiety Stress Scales (DASS) with the Beck Depression and Anxiety Inventories.Behav Res Ther. 1995; 33: 335-343
- The submaximal effort tourniquet test: Its use in evaluating experimental and chronic pain.Pain. 1979; 6: 375-382
- Evaluation of the reduction in central and peripheral arterial blood pressure following an oral glucose load.Medicine (Baltimore). 2017; 96
- Tapentadol potentiates descending pain inhibition in chronic pain patients with diabetic polyneuropathy.Br J Anaesth. 2014; 113: 148-156
- Lifestyle and chronic pain across the lifespan: An inconvenient truth?.PM&R. 2020; 12: 410-419
- The association between chronic pain and obesity.J Pain Res. 2015; 8: 399-408
- Adipokines in inflammation and metabolic disease.Nat Rev Immunol. 2011; 11: 85-97
- Transient receptor potential channels: targeting pain at the source.Nat Rev Drug Discovery. 2009; 8: 55-68
- Cardiac autonomic modulation in response to a glucose stimulus.Med Biol Eng Comput. 2019; 57: 667-676
- Effects of intraduodenal administration of the artificial sweetener sucralose on blood pressure and superior mesenteric artery blood flow in healthy older subjects.Am J Clin Nutr. 2018; 108: 156-162
- Interactions between cardiovascular and pain regulatory systems.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 1984; 8: 343-367
- Exercise-induced hypoalgesia in pain-free and chronic pain populations: State of the art and future directions.J Pain. 2019; 20: 1249-1266
- Peripheral mechanisms of cutaneous nociception.in: McMahon SB Koltzenburg M Tracey I Turk D Wall and Melzack's Textbook of Pain. Elsevier, Philadelphia2013: 1-30
- Glycemic control for patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: Our evolving faith in the face of evidence.Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2016; 9: 504-512
- An overview of heart rate variability metrics and norms.Fron Public Health. 2017; 5: 258
- Pathogenesis, diagnosis and clinical management of diabetic sensorimotor peripheral neuropathy.Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2021; 17: 400-420
- Hypoxia-induced sensitisation of TRPA1 in painful dysesthesia evoked by transient hindlimb ischemia/reperfusion in mice.Sci Rep. 2016; 6: 23261
- Lean mass predicts conditioned pain modulation in adolescents across weight status.Eur J Pain. 2016; 20: 967-976
- The Pain Catastrophizing Scale user manual.Montreal, McGill University, Montreal, Canada2009
- General versus pain-specific cognitions: Pain catastrophising but not optimism influences conditioned pain modulation.Eur J Pain. 2018; 23: 150-159
- Edinburgh Handedness Inventory - Short Form: A revised version based on confirmatory factor analysis.Laterality. 2013; 19: 164-177
- Recommendations on practice of conditioned pain modulation (CPM) testing.Eur J Pain. 2015; 19: 805-806
- Conditioned pain modulation predicts duloxetine efficacy in painful diabetic neuropathy.Pain. 2012; 153: 1193-1198
- Painful diabetic peripheral neuropathy: Role of oxidative stress and central sensitisation.Diabet Med. 2022; 39
- Painful diabetic peripheral neuropathy study of Chinese outpatients (PDNSCOPE): A multicentre cross-sectional registry study of clinical characteristics and treatment in mainland China.Pain Ther. 2021; 10: 1355-1373
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Di Ye is a PhD student supported by a Murdoch University International Postgraduate Scholarship .
The authors have no conflict of interest to declare.