- •The term pain catastrophizing is widespread in clinical and public pain forums.
- •About 3,000 patients provided their perspective on the term pain catastrophizing.
- •For an open-ended item, 1/3 said the term was problematic or stigmatizing.
- •There was an absence of unprompted assessment of the term for 2/3 of the sample.
- •12% reported stigmatizing experiences from the term being applied to them.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The concerns about pain (CAP) scale: A patient-reported outcome measure of pain catastrophizing.J Pain. 2020; 21: 1198-1211
- Measuring pain catastrophizing and pain-related self-efficacy: Expert panels, focus groups, and cognitive interviews.Patient. 2018; 11: 107-117
- The limitations of online surveys.Indian J Psychol Med. 2020; 42: 575-576
- Confusion, fear, and chauvinism: Perspectives on the medical sociology of chronic pain.Perspect Biol Med. 1996; 39: 270-280
- Using thematic analysis in psychology.Qual Res Psychol. 2006; 3: 77-101
- Let's talk about pain catastrophizing measures: An item content analysis.PeerJ. 2020; 8: e8643
- Comparison of a single-session pain management skills intervention with a single-session health education intervention and 8 sessions of cognitive behavioral therapy in adults with chronic low back pain: A randomized clinical trial.JAMA network open. 2021; 4e2113401
- Patients' and professionals' understandings of the causes of chronic pain: Blame, responsibility and identity protection.Soc Sci Med. 1997; 45: 699-709
- Pain, catastrophizing, and depression in the rheumatic diseases.Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2011; 7: 216-224
- Negotiating the swamp: The opportunity and challenge of reflexivity in research practice.Qual Res. 2002; 2: 209-230
- A systematic review of structural and functional MRI studies on pain catastrophizing.J Pain Res. 2019; 12: 1155
- Patient perspectives on interventional pain management: Thematic analysis of a qualitative interview study.BMC health Serv Res. 2020; 20: 1-12
- Online surveys in marketing research: Pros and cons.Int J Mark Res. 2002; 44: 361-382
- Advantages and limitations of web-based surveys: Evidence from a child mental health survey.Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2011; 46: 69-76
- “Catastrophizing”: A form of pain shaming. 2020; (Available at:)
- Accessed December 10, 2022
- Pain coping strategies in osteoarthritis patients.J Consult Clin Psychol. 1987; 55: 208
- Psychological aspects of persistent pain: current state of the science.J Pain. 2004; 5: 195-211
- Online data collection in academic research: Advantages and limitations.Br J Educ Techno. 2007; 38: 574-582
- Pain catastrophizing: An updated review.Indian J Psychol Med. 2012; 34: 204-217
- Painfully reassuring? The effects of validation on emotions and adherence in a pain test.Eur J Pain. 2012; 16: 592-599
Longo R: “Pain is what the patient says it is”: A secondary analysis of nurses’ reflections on the term pain catastrophizing. In: Nursing. Vol 8407, Western University, Electronic Thesis and Dissertation Repository, 2022
- Pain catastrophizing and function in individuals with chronic musculoskeletal pain.Clin J Pain. 2019; 35: 279-293
- Pain catastrophizing: A dimensional concept analysis.J Adv Nurs. 2008; 63: 417-426
- Pain catastrophizing: An historical perspective.J Appl Biobehav Res. 2017; 22: e12086
- Words can hurt - how the language of ‘pain catastrophisation’ has had its day.Nurs Stand. 2020; 35: 69-71
QSR International Pty Ltd.: NVivo (Version 12). Available at: https://www.qsrinternational.com/nvivo-qualitative-data-analysis-software/home. Accessed March 15, 2021.
- Pain catastrophizing: A critical review.Expert Rev Neurother. 2009; 9: 745-758
- Medical trainees’ experiences of treating people with chronic pain: A lost opportunity for medical education.Acad Med. 2018; 93: 775
- The patient as person: an update.Br J Sports Med. 2020; 54: 1376
- How can we best reduce pain catastrophizing in adults with chronic noncancer pain? A systematic review and meta-analysis.J Pain. 2018; 19: 233-256
- Cortical responses to pain in healthy individuals depends on pain catastrophizing.Pain. 2006; 120: 297-306
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy increases prefrontal cortex gray matter in patients with chronic pain.J Pain. 2013; 14: 1573-1584
- Pain catastrophizing and mental health phenotypes in adults with refractory chronic pain: A latent class analysis.J Psychiatr Res. 2022; 145: 102-110
- Incorporating Texts Into Institutional Ethnographies.University of Toronto Press, Toronto2014
- The pain catastrophizing scale: Development and validation.Psychol Assess. 1995; 7: 524
- Theoretical perspectives on the relation between catastrophizing and pain.Clin J Pain. 2001; 17: 52-64
- Pain-related catastrophizing: What is it?.Clin J Pain. 2001; 17: 65-71
- Mindfulness-based stress reduction and cognitive-behavioral therapy for chronic low back pain: similar effects on mindfulness, catastrophizing, self-efficacy, and acceptance in a randomized controlled trial.Pain. 2016; 157: 2434
- Internalized stigma in people living with chronic pain.J Pain. 2014; 15 (550.e1-10)
- From opiophobia to overprescribing: A critical scoping review of medical education training for chronic pain.Pain Medicine. 2017; 18: 1467-1475
- The mismeasurement of complexity: provider narratives of patients with complex needs in primary care settings.Int J Equity Health. 2019; 18: 107
- An ethnography of chronic pain management in primary care: The social organization of physicians’ work in the midst of the opioid crisis.PLoS One. 2019; 14e0215148
- It is hard work behaving as a credible patient: Encounters between women with chronic pain and their doctors.Soc Sci Med. 2003; 57: 1409-1419
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
This effort was supported in part by NIH grants from NCCIH R01AT008561 (Darnall and Mackey), NIDA K24 DA053564 (Darnall), NINDS K24 NS126781 (Mackey) and Canadian Institutes of Health Research , grant # 409316 (Webster).
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.