- •A theoretical model proposes a relationship of psycho-physical and psychological factors in TTH.
- •A data-driven model associates poor sleep, psychological factors, and chronicity of headache.
- •This data-driven model could be leveraged in clinical trials investigating treatment of TTH.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Musculoskeletal physical outcome measures in individuals with tension-type headache: A scoping review.Cephalalgia. 2013; 33: 1319-1336
- Muscle triggers as a possible source of pain in a subgroup of tension-type headache patients?.Clin J Pain. 2016; 32: 711-718
- BNPA: An R package to learn path analysis input models from a data set semi-automatically using Bayesian networks.Knowl Based Syst. 2021; 223107042
- Central mechanisms of stress-induced headache.Cephalalgia. 2010; 30: 285-295
- Learning high-dimensional directed acyclic graphs with latent and selection variables.Ann Stat. 2012; 40: 294-321
- The fear-avoidance model of chronic pain: Validation and age analysis using structural equation modeling.Pain. 2006; 121: 195-206
- Consensus among musculoskeletal experts for the management of patients with headache by physiotherapists? A delphi study.Musculoskelet Sci Pract. 2021; 52102325
- Myofascial trigger points in migraine and tension-type headache.J Headache Pain. 2018; 19: 84
Epskamp S. semPlot: Path diagrams and visual analysis of various SEM packages, 2019.
- Effectiveness of trigger point manual treatment on the frequency, intensity, and duration of attacks in primary headaches: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Func Neurol. 2018; 9: 254
- GBD 2016 eurology Collaborators. Global, regional, and national burden of neurological disorders, 1990-2016: A systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016.Lancet Neurol. 2019; 18: 459-480
- Catechol-O-Methyltransferase (COMT) rs4680 Val158Met polymorphism is associated with widespread pressure pain sensitivity and depression in women with chronic, but not episodic, tension-type headache.Clin J Pain. 2019; 35: 345-352
- Myofascial trigger points: Peripheral or central phenomenon?.Curr Rheumatol Rep. 2014; 16: 395
- International consensus on diagnostic criteria and clinical considerations of myofascial trigger points: A Delphi Study.Pain Med. 2018; 19: 142-150
- Lower immunglobulin A levels but not lower cortisol or alpha–amylase activity in children with chronic tension-type headache.Cephalalgia. 2011; 31: 481-487
- Sleep disturbances in tension-type headache and migraine.Ther Adv Neurol Disord. 2018; 111756285617745444
- Clinical reasoning behind non-pharmacological interventions for the management of headaches: A narrative literature review.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020; 17: 4126
- Evidence of localized and widespread pressure pain hypersensitivity in patients with tension-type headache: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Cephalalgia. 2021; 41: 256-273
- Prevalence of tension-type headache in adult general population: The PACE study and review of the literature.Neurol Sci. 2013; 34: S137-S138
- Nociplastic pain: Towards an understanding of prevalent pain conditions.Lancet. 2021; 397: 2098-2110
- Causal discovery of gene regulation with incomplete data.J R Stat Soc Ser A Stat Soc. 2020; 183: 1747-1775
- Explaining how cognitive behavioral approaches work for low back pain: Mediation analysis of the back skills training trial.Spine. 2017; . 42: E1031-e1039
- Current perspectives on sex differences in tension-type headache.Expert Rev Neurother. 2020; 20: 659-666
- Group search algorithm recovers effective connectivity maps for individuals in homogeneous and heterogeneous samples.Neuroimage. 2012; 63: 310-319
- Quantitative sensory testing and predicting outcomes for musculoskeletal pain, disability, and negative affect: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Pain. 2019; 160: 1920-1932
- Headache classification committee of the International Headache Society (IHS) The International classification of headache disorders, 3rd edition.Cephalalgia. 2018; 38: 1-211
- Stress and sleep duration predict headache severity in chronic headache sufferers.Pain. 2012; 153: 2432-2440
- Relationship between quantitative sensory testing and pain or disability in people with spinal pain-a systematic review and meta-analysis.Pain. 2013; 154: 1497-1504
- The Henry Ford Hospital Headache Disability Inventory (HDI).Neurology. 1994; 44: 837-842
- Headache disability inventory (HDI): Short-term test-retest reliability and spouse perceptions.Headache. 1995; 35: 534-539
- Tension-Type Headache - The normal and most prevalent headache.Headache. 2018; 58: 339-345
Jorgensen T, Pornprasertmanit S, Schoemann A, Rosseel Y: semTools: Useful tools for structural equation modeling: R package. 2021.
- Use of the hospital anxiety and depression scale as a screening tool for patients with headache.Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi. 1999; 62: 749-755
- Using ant colony optimization for sensitivity analysis in structural equation modeling.Struct Equ Model. 2022; 46: 159-161
- Cervical musculoskeletal impairments in migraine and tension type headache: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Musculoskelet Sci Pract. 2019; 42: 67-83
- Probing the mechanisms underpinning recovery in post-surgical patients with cervical radiculopathy using Bayesian networks.Eur J Pain. 2020; 24: 909-920
- Investigating the causal mechanisms of symptom recovery in chronic whiplash-associated disorders using bayesian networks.Clin J Pain. 2019; 35: 647-655
Little MA, Badawy R: Causal bootstrapping. arXiv preprint. arXiv:191009648 2019.
- Bayesian networks in R with applications in systems biology.Springer, New York, NY2013
- Fernández-de-las-Peñas C. Trigger points are associated with widespread pressure pain sensitivity in people with tension-type headache.Cephalalgia. 2018; 38: 237-245
- Causality.Models, Reasoning, and Inference. Cambridge University Press, New York, NY2009
- Assessment of headache diagnosis. A comparative population study of a clinical interview with a diagnostic headache diary.Cephalalgia. 2007; 27: 1-8
- Prognostic factors for chronic headache: A systematic review.Neurology. 2017; 89: 291-301
- A systematic literature review of 10 years of research on sex/gender and experimental pain perception - part 1: Are there really differences between women and men?.Pain. 2012; 153: 602-618
- Chronic headache and potentially modifiable risk factors: Screening and behavioral management of sleep disorders.Headache. 2008; 48: 32-39
- lavaan: An R package for structural equation modeling.J Stat Softw. 2012; 48: 1-36
- Learning Bayesian networks with the bnlearn R Package.J Stat Softw. 2010; 35: 22
- Identifying significant edges in graphical models of molecular networks.Artif Intell Med. 2013; 57: 207-217
- Current understanding of the pathophysiology and approach to tension-type headache.Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep. 2021; 21: 56
- Psychological sleep interventions for migraine and tension-type headache: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Sci Rep. 2019; 9: 6411
- The International Classification of Headache Disorders, 3rd edition (beta version).Cephalalgia. 2013; 33: 629-808
- mice: Multivariate imputation by chained equations in R.J Stat Softw. 2011; 45: 1-67
- The Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) statement: Guidelines for reporting observational studies.PLoS Med. 2007; 4: e297
- Mediation analysis: A practitioner's guide.Annu Rev Public Health. 2016; 37: 17-32
- The hospital anxiety and depression scale.Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1983; 67: 361-370
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
No funds were received for this study.
No conflict of interest is declared by the authors.