- •A higher n-6/n-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) ratio was associated with greater pain intensity.
- •This association found for orofacial, headache, low back and bodily pain intensity.
- •This association was found for symptomatic non-cases as well as cases.
- •n-6/n-3 ratio more consistently associated with pain intensity than single PUFAs.
- •Among the individual PUFAs, docosahexaenoic acid was most strongly associated with pain intensity.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Antinociceptive fatty acid patterns differ in children with psychosomatic recurrent abdominal pain and healthy controls.Acta Paediatr. 2016; 105: 684-688
- Study protocol, sample characteristics, and loss to follow-up: The OPPERA prospective cohort study.J Pain. 2013; 14: T2-19
- Pain ITftCoC. The IASP classification of chronic pain for ICD-11: Chronic secondary headache or orofacial pain.Pain. 2019; 160: 60-68
- Omega-3 fatty acids: Essential fatty acids with important biological effects, and serum phospholipid fatty acids as markers of dietary omega 3-fatty acid intake.Am J Clin Nutr. 1993; 57 (discussion 805S-806): 801S-805S
- Changes in consumption of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids in the United States during the 20th century.Am J Clin Nutr. 2011; 93: 950-962
- Pain intensity moderates the relationship between age and pain interference in chronic orofacial pain patients.Exp Aging Res. 2015; 41: 463-474
- Elevated dietary omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids induce reversible peripheral nerve dysfunction that exacerbates comorbid pain conditions.Nat Metab. 2021; 3: 762-773
- Persistent changes in the fatty acid composition of erythrocyte membranes after moderate intake of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids: Study design implications.Am J Clin Nutr. 1991; 54: 668-673
- Preventive supplementation of omega-3 reduces pain and pro-inflammatory cytokines in a mouse model of complex regional pain syndrome type I.Front Integr Neurosci. 2022; 16840249
- A consensus approach toward the standardization of back pain definitions for use in prevalence studies.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2008; 33: 95-103
- Immpact. Core outcome measures for chronic pain clinical trials: IMMPACT recommendations.Pain. 2005; 113: 9-19
- Interpreting the clinical importance of treatment outcomes in chronic pain clinical trials: IMMPACT recommendations.J Pain. 2008; 9: 105-121
- Diet can exert both analgesic and pronociceptive effects in acute and chronic pain models: A systematic review of preclinical studies.Nutr Neurosci. 2021; : 1-23
- Specialized pro-resolving lipid mediators: A new class of non-immunosuppressive and non-opioid analgesic drugs.Pharmacol Res. 2020; 151104549
- Advances in Our understanding of oxylipins derived from dietary PUFAs.Adv Nutr. 2015; 6: 513-540
- A meta-analysis of the analgesic effects of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation for inflammatory joint pain.Pain. 2007; 129: 210-223
- The international classification of headache disorders, 3rd edition.Cephalalgia. 2018; 38 (.): 1-211
- What determines whether a pain is rated as mild, moderate, or severe? The importance of pain beliefs and pain interference.Clin J Pain. 2017; 33: 414-421
- Design and conduct of confirmatory chronic pain clinical trials.Pain Rep. 2021; 6: e845
- [Mixed connective tissue disease (MCTD) with severe hypertensive pulmonary vascular disease].Nihon Naika Gakkai Zasshi. 1987; 76: 1610-1611
- Diagnosis and treatment of low back pain.BMJ. 2006; 332: 1430-1434
- Gastrointestinal effects of NSAIDs and coxibs.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2003; 25: S32-S40
- Efficacy of omega-3 PUFAs in depression: A meta-analysis.Transl Psychiatry. 2019; 9: 190
- A self-administered screener for migraine in primary care: The ID Migraine validation study.Neurology. 2003; 61: 375-382
- The pharmacotherapy of chronic pain.Rheum Dis Clin North Am. 2008; 34: 369-385
- Psychosocial risk markers for new onset irritable bowel syndrome–results of a large prospective population-based study.Pain. 2008; 137: 147-155
- Clinical characteristics of pain among five chronic overlapping pain conditions.J Oral Facial Pain Headache. 2020; 34: s29-s42
- Resolvin D2 is a potent endogenous inhibitor for transient receptor potential subtype V1/A1, inflammatory pain, and spinal cord synaptic plasticity in mice: Distinct roles of resolvin D1, D2, and E1.J Neurosci. 2011; 31: 18433-18438
- Pharmacologic management of chronic pain.Korean J Pain. 2010; 23: 99-108
- A systems approach for discovering linoleic acid derivatives that potentially mediate pain and itch.Sci Signal. 2017; 10: eaal5241
- Targeted alteration of dietary n-3 and n-6 fatty acids for the treatment of chronic headaches: A randomized trial.Pain. 2013; 154: 2441-2451
- Dietary alteration of n-3 and n-6 fatty acids for headache reduction in adults with migraine: Randomized controlled trial.BMJ. 2021; 374: n1448
- The role of dietary fatty acid intake in inflammatory gene expression: A critical review.Sao Paulo Med J. 2017; 135: 157-168
- Circulating Omega-6 and Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in painful temporomandibular disorder and low back pain.J Pain. 2022; 23: 1724-1736
- Circulating polyunsaturated fatty acids, pressure pain thresholds, and nociplastic pain conditions.Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2022; 184102476
- Ratio of Omega-6/Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids associated with somatic and depressive symptoms in people with painful temporomandibular disorder and irritable bowel syndrome.J Pain. 2022; 23: 1737-1748
- International Rdc/Tmd Consortium Network IafDR, Orofacial Pain Special Interest Group IAftSoP. Diagnostic Criteria for Temporomandibular Disorders (DC/TMD) for Clinical and Research Applications: Recommendations of the International RDC/TMD Consortium Network* and Orofacial Pain Special Interest Groupdagger.J Oral Facial Pain Headache. 2014; 28: 6-27
- Discovery of specialized pro-resolving mediators marks the dawn of resolution physiology and pharmacology.Mol Aspects Med. 2017; 58: 1-11
- An overview of the biologic effects of omega-6 oxylipins in humans.Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2018; 137: 26-38
- Controlled trials of the diet-heart hypothesis: Some comments on the experimental unit.Am J Epidemiol. 1978; 108: 92-99
- An increase in the Omega-6/Omega-3 fatty acid ratio increases the risk for obesity.Nutrients. 2016; 8: 128
- Summary of findings from the OPPERA prospective cohort study of incidence of first-onset temporomandibular disorder: Implications and future directions.J Pain. 2013; 14: T116-T124
- Overlap of five chronic pain conditions: Temporomandibular disorders, headache, back pain, irritable bowel syndrome, and fibromyalgia.J Oral Facial Pain Headache. 2020; 34: s15-s28
- Measuring irritable bowel syndrome patient-reported outcomes with an abdominal pain numeric rating scale.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2009; 30: 1159-1170
- Functional bowel disorders and functional abdominal pain.Gut. 1999; 45: II43-II47
- Age and sex differences in the incorporation of EPA and DHA into plasma fractions, cells and adipose tissue in humans.Br J Nutr. 2014; 111: 679-689
- The American College of Rheumatology 1990 Criteria for the Classification of Fibromyalgia. Report of the Multicenter Criteria Committee.Arthritis Rheum. 1990; 33: 160-172
- What is this thing called pain?.J Clin Invest. 2010; 120: 3742-3744
- Resolvins are potent analgesics for arthritic pain.Br J Pharmacol. 2011; 164: 274-277
- Resolvins RvE1 and RvD1 attenuate inflammatory pain via central and peripheral actions.Nat Med. 2010; 16 (591p following 597): 592-597
- Distinct analgesic actions of DHA and DHA-derived specialized pro-resolving mediators on post-operative pain after bone fracture in mice.Front Pharmacol. 2018; 9: 412
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Disclosures: Research reported in this publication was supported by the National Institute of Dental & Craniofacial Research of the National Institutes of Health under Award Number R21DE029746. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health. The study was also supported by the NIH Clinical and Translational Science Award (CTSA) # 550KR171714. The authors have no conflict of interest to declare.