- •Those with chronic (vs nonchronic) low back pain (LBP) face more suffering and costs.
- •However, what defines LBP as chronic varies widely.
- •Most recent randomized controlled trials defined chronic LBP by duration.
- •Most individuals with LBP define chronicity in terms of frequency.
- •Pain management behaviors and outcomes differ across groups meeting each definition.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Agency for Healthcare Research and quality: Noninvasive nonpharmacological treatment for chronic pain: A systematic review. Vol AHRQ Pub. No. 18-EHC013-1-EF, agency for healthcare research and quality, Rockville, MD, 2018.
- Prognostic indicators of low back pain in primary care: Five-year prospective study.J Pain. 2013; 14: 873-883
- Is chronic non-specific low back pain chronic? Definitions of a problem and problems of a definition.Br J Gen Pract. 1999; 49: 358-362
- Online panels in social science research: Expanding sampling methods beyond Mechanical Turk.Behav Res Methods. 2019; 51: 2022-2038
- Will this patient develop persistent disabling low back pain?.JAMA. 2010; 303: 1295-1302
- Prognostic indicators for poor outcomes in low back pain patients consulted in primary care.PLoS One. 2020; 15e0229265
- Report of the NIH Task Force on research standards for chronic low back pain.Pain Med. 2014; 15: 1249-1267
- The Oswestry disability index.Spine. 2000; 25: 2940-2953
- Factors defining care-seeking in low back pain–A meta-analysis of population based surveys.Eur J Pain. 2010; 14 (e741-747. e747): 747
- Interventions for the management of acute and chronic low back pain: Revision 2021: Clinical practice guidelines linked to the international classification of functioning, disability and health from the academy of orthopaedic physical therapy of the American Physical Therapy Association.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2021; 51: CPG1-CPG60
- Concurrent comparison of responsiveness in pain and functional status measurements used for patients with low back pain.Spine. 2004; 29: E492-E501
- A primary care back pain screening tool: Identifying patient subgroups for initial treatment.Arthritis Care & Res: Off J Am Coll Rheumatol. 2008; 59: 632-641
- The epidemiology of low back pain.Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2010; 24: 769-781
- The global burden of low back pain: Estimates from the global burden of disease 2010 study.Ann Rheum Dis. 2014; 73: 968-974
- Does duration of pain at baseline influence longer-term clinical outcomes of low back pain patients managed on an evidence-based pathway?.Spine. 2021; 46: 191-197
- The epidemiology of low back pain in primary care.Chiropractic & osteopathy. 2005; 13: 1-7
- Characteristics of patients with low back and leg pain seeking treatment in primary care: Baseline results from the ATLAS cohort study.BMC musculoskeletal disorders. 2015; 16: 1-11
- Development and initial validation of the PEG, a three-item scale assessing pain intensity and interference.J Gen Intern Med. 2009; 24: 733-738
- Content Analysis: An Introduction to its Methodology.Sage Publications, Beverly Hills1980
Lucas JW, Connor EM, Back Bose J: Lower Limb, and Upper Limb Pain Among US Adults, 2019, National Center for Health Statistics, Hyattsville, MD, 2021.
- Non-specific low back pain.The Lancet. 2017; 389: 736-747
- Epidemiology of low back pain in adults.Neuromodulation: Technol at the Neural Interface. 2014; 17: 3-10
- The prognosis of acute low back pain in primary care in the US A 2-year prospective cohort study.Spine. 2012; 37: 678
- Are chronic low back pain outcomes improved with co-management of concurrent depression?.Chiropractic & Osteopathy. 2005; 13: 1-7
- New evidence pyramid.BMJ Evidence-Based Med. 2016; 21: 125-127
National Center for Injury Prevention and Control: Acute Low Back Pain. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/acute-pain/low-back-pain/index.html Accessed March 15, 2022
- The IASP classification of chronic pain for ICD-11: Chronic primary pain.Pain. 2019; 160: 28-37
Nye J: ICD-11 revision addresses biopsychosocial definitions of chronic pain. Available at:https://www.clinicalpainadvisor.com/chronic-pain/reclassification-of-chronic-pain-in-updated-icd-11/#:∼:text=%2D10)%20classifications.-,Clinicians%20should%20be%20aware%20that%20not%20all%20ICD%2D11%20diagnoses,02%20Chronic%20primary%20musculoskeletal%20pain. Accessed May 18, 2022
- The relationship between beliefs about pain and functioning with rheumatologic conditions.Rehabil Res Pract. 2012; 9: 2012
- Noninvasive treatments for acute, subacute, and chronic low back pain: A clinical practice guideline from the American College of Physicians.Ann Intern Med. 2017; 166: 514-530
- Comparison of data collected using Amazon's Mechanical Turk to national surveys.Am J Health Behav. 2022; ([In press])
- A study of the natural history of back pain: part I: Development of a reliable and sensitive measure of disability in low-back pain.Spine. 1983; 8: 141-144
- Individuals’ explanations for their persistent or recurrent low back pain: A cross-sectional survey.BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders. 2017; 18: 1-9
- Reduction of pain catastrophizing mediates the outcome of both physical and cognitive-behavioral treatment in chronic low back pain.J Pain. 2006; 7: 261-271
- Risk factors associated with transition from acute to chronic low back pain in US patients seeking primary care.JAMA Network Open. 2021; 4e2037371
Stroke NIoNDa: Back Pain Fact Sheet. Available at:https://www.ninds.nih.gov/Disorders/Patient-Caregiver-Education/Fact-Sheets/Low-Back-Pain-Fact-Sheet. Accessed March 15, 2022
- PRISMA extension for scoping reviews (PRISMA-ScR): Checklist and explanation.Ann Intern Med. 2018; 169: 467-473
- Graded chronic pain scale revised: Mild, bothersome, and high impact chronic pain.Pain. 2020; 161: 651
- A prognostic approach to defining chronic pain.Pain. 2005; 117: 304-313
- Grading the severity of chronic pain.Pain. 1992; 50: 133-149
- Are mechanical turk worker samples representative of health status and health behaviors in the US?.PLoS One. 2018; 13e0198835
- Recurrence of low back pain: Definition-sensitivity analysis using administrative data.Spine. 2003; 28: 2283-2291
World Health Organization: International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD). Available at: https://www.who.int/standards/classifications/classification-of-diseases Accessed May 18, 2022
- Global low back pain prevalence and years lived with disability from 1990 to 2017: estimates from the global burden of disease study 2017.Ann Translational Med. 2020; 8: 299
- Collecting online survey data: A comparison of data quality among a commercial panel & MTurk.Surv Pract. 2020; 13: 1-10
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
This work was supported by the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH) . [Grant No. 1R01AT010402-01A1, 2020 ]. NCCIH had no role in study design; in the collection, analysis, and interpretation of data; in the writing of the report; nor in the decision to submit the article for publication.
The authors declare that there are no conflicts of interest.