- •Spinal L5 nerve transection up-regulates bestrophin-1 and GAP43 expression in DRG.
- •Spinal nerve ligation (L5/L6) enhanced GAP43 but not bestrophin-1 expression in DRG.
- •SNT increased bestrophin-1 immunoreactivity in CGRP but not in IB4 DRG.
- •Bestrophin-1 recombinant channel injected in naïve rats induced tactile allodynia.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Overexpression of the neural growth-associated protein GAP-43 induces nerve sprouting in the adult nervous system of transgenic mice.Cell. 1995; 83: 269-278https://doi.org/10.1016/0092-8674(95)90168-x
- Expression of three distinct families of calcium-activated chloride channel genes in the mouse dorsal root ganglion.Neurosci Bull. 2007; 23: 293-299https://doi.org/10.1007/s12264-007-0044-8
- Axotomy-induced expression of calcium-activated chloride current in subpopulations of mouse dorsal root ganglion neurons.J Neurophysiol. 2003; 90: 3764-3773https://doi.org/10.1152/jn.00449.2003
- Small molecule-facilitated degradation of ANO1 protein: A new targeting approach for anticancer therapeutics.J Biol Chem. 2014; 289: 11029-11041https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M114.549188
- New selective inhibitors of calcium-activated chloride channels - T16Ainh-A01, CaCCinh-A01 and MONNA - what do they inhibit?.Br J Pharmacol. 2015; 172: 4158-4172https://doi.org/10.1111/bph.13201
- Best1 is a gene regulated by nerve injury and required for Ca2+-activated Cl- current expression in axotomized sensory neurons.J Neurosci. 2009; 29: 10063-10071https://doi.org/10.1523/JNEUROSCI.1312-09.2009
- Calcium-activated chloride current expression in axotomized sensory neurons: What for?.Front Mol Neurosci. 2012; 5: 35https://doi.org/10.3389/fnmol.2012.00035
- Pharmacological characterization of TMEM16A currents.Channels. 2014; 8: 308-320https://doi.org/10.4161/chan.28065
- TMEM16A, a membrane protein associated with calcium-dependent chloride channel activity.Science. 2008; 322: 590-594https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1163518
- Quantitative assessment of tactile allodynia in the rat paw.J Neurosci Methods. 1994; 53: 55-63https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-0270(94)90144-9
- The Role of TMEM16A/ERK/NK-1 signaling in dorsal root ganglia neurons in the development of neuropathic pain induced by spared nerve injury (SNI).Mol Neurobiol. 2021; 58: 5772-5789https://doi.org/10.1007/s12035-021-02520-9
- The calcium-activated chloride channel anoctamin 1 acts as a heat sensor in nociceptive neurons.Nat Neurosci. 2012; 15: 1015-1021https://doi.org/10.1038/nn.3111
- Distribution of the growth associated protein GAP-43 in the central processes of axotomized primary afferents in the adult rat spinal cord; presence of growth cone-like structures.Neurosci Lett. 1991; 131: 37-41https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3940(91)90331-m
- Small-molecule screen identifies inhibitors of a human intestinal calcium-activated chloride channel.Mol Pharmacol. 2008; 73: 758-768https://doi.org/10.1124/mol.107.043208
- Efficient analysis of experimental observations.Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol. 1980; 20: 441-462https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.pa.20.040180.002301
- Partial nerve injury induces electrophysiological changes in conducting (uninjured) nociceptive and nonnociceptive DRG neurons: Possible relationships to aspects of peripheral neuropathic pain and paresthesias.Pain. 2012; 153: 1824-1836https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2012.04.019
- Re-evaluation of the phenotypic changes in L4 dorsal root ganglion neurons after L5 spinal nerve ligation.Pain. 2012; 153: 68-79https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2011.09.009
- Blockade of anoctamin-1 in injured and uninjured nerves reduces neuropathic pain.Brain Res. 2018; 1696: 38-48https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brainres.2018.06.001
- Evidence for the participation of Ca2+-activated chloride channels in formalin-induced acute and chronic nociception.Brain Res. 2014; 1579: 35-44https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brainres.2014.07.011
- PKC- and PKA-dependent phosphorylation modulates TREK-1 function in naïve and neuropathic rats.J Neurochem. 2021; 157: 2039-2054https://doi.org/10.1111/jnc.15204
- Calcium-activated chloride channels.Annu Rev Physiol. 2005; 67: 719-758https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.physiol.67.032003.154341
- Central sprouting of uninjured small fiber afferents in the adult rat spinal cord following spinal nerve ligation.Eur J Neurosci. 2004; 20: 1705-1712https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-9568.2004.03652.x
- Neurite outgrowth and GAP-43 mRNA expression in cultured adult rat dorsal root ganglion neurons: Effects of NGF or prior peripheral axotomy.J Neuroscience Res. 1994; 39: 634-645https://doi.org/10.1002/jnr.490390603
- An experimental model for peripheral neuropathy produced by segmental spinal nerve ligation in the rat.Pain. 1992; 50: 355-363https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3959(92)90041-9
- The burden associated with neuropathic pain in Western Europe.J Med Econ. 2013; 16: 85-95https://doi.org/10.3111/13696998.2012.729548
- Anoctamin 1 contributes to inflammatory and nerve-injury induced hypersensitivity.Mol Pain. 2014; 10: 5https://doi.org/10.1186/1744-8069-10-5
- Channel-mediated tonic GABA release from glia.Science. 2010; 330: 790-796https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1184334
- The acute nociceptive signals induced by bradykinin in rat sensory neurons are mediated by inhibition of M-type K+ channels and activation of Ca2+-activated Cl− channels.J Clin Invest. 2010; 120: 1240-1252https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI41084
- Tactile allodynia in the absence of C-fiber activation: Altered firing properties of DRG neurons following spinal nerve injury.Pain. 2000; 85: 503-521https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3959(00)00251-7
- Role of JNK isoforms in the development of neuropathic pain following sciatic nerve transection in the mouse.Mol Pain. 2012; 8: 39https://doi.org/10.1186/1744-8069-8-39
- A calcium-activated chloride current generates the after-depolarization of rat sensory neurones in culture.J Physiol. 1985; 364: 217-239https://doi.org/10.1113/jphysiol.1985.sp015740
- Expression of NGF receptor and GAP-43 mRNA in DRG neurons during collateral sprouting and regeneration of dorsal cutaneous nerves.J Neurobiol. 1994; 5: 127-142https://doi.org/10.1002/neu.480250205
- A critical role for dopamine D5 receptors in pain chronicity in male mice.J Neurosci. 2018; 38: 379-397https://doi.org/10.1523/JNEUROSCI.2110-17.2017
- A method to perform direct transcutaneous intrathecal injection in rats.J Pharmacol Toxicol Methods. 1994; 32: 197-200https://doi.org/10.1016/1056-8719(94)90087-6
- Primary sensory neurons exhibit altered gene expression in a rat model of neuropathic pain.Pain. 1994; 58: 95-108https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3959(94)90189-9
- Small-molecule activators of TMEM16A, a calcium-activated chloride channel, stimulate epithelial chloride secretion and intestinal contraction.FASEB J. 2011; 25: 4048-4062https://doi.org/10.1096/fj.11-191627
- Contribution of degeneration of motor and sensory fibers to pain behavior and the changes in neurotrophic factors in rat dorsal root ganglion.Exp Neurol. 2004; 188: 149-160https://doi.org/10.1016/j.expneurol.2004.03.012
- MONNA, a potent and selective blocker for transmembrane protein with unknown function 16/anoctamin-1.Mol Pharmacol. 2013; 84: 726-735https://doi.org/10.1124/mol.113.087502
- Bestrophin-1 encodes for the Ca2+-activated anion channel in hippocampal astrocytes.J Neurosci. 2009; 29: 13063-13073https://doi.org/10.1523/JNEUROSCI.3193-09.2009
- Role of anoctamin-1 and bestrophin-1 in spinal nerve ligation-induced neuropathic pain in rats.Mol Pain. 2015; 11: 41https://doi.org/10.1186/s12990-015-0042-1
- Wallerian degeneration is required for both neuropathic pain and sympathetic sprouting into the DRG.Pain. 1997; 72: 71-78https://doi.org/10.1016/s0304-3959(97)00019-5
- ATF2, but not ATF3, participates in the maintenance of nerve injury-induced tactile allodynia and thermal hyperalgesia.Mol Pain. 2018; 14: 1-14https://doi.org/10.1177/1744806918787427
- Aspects of calcium-activated chloride currents: A neuronal perspective.Pharmacol Ther. 1995; 66: 535-565https://doi.org/10.1016/0163-7258(95)00018-c
- Mechanical hyperalgesia after an L5 ventral rhizotomy or an L5 ganglionectomy in the rat.Pain. 2002; 96: 63-72https://doi.org/10.1016/s0304-3959(01)00429-8
- The International Association for the Study of Pain definition of pain: As valid in 2018 as in 1979, but in need of regularly updated footnotes.Pain Rep. 2018; 3: e643https://doi.org/10.1097/PR9.0000000000000643
- Neuropathic pain in the general population: A systematic review of epidemiological studies.Pain. 2014; 155: 654-662https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2013.11.013
- Gene transfer to dorsal root ganglia by intrathecal injection: Effects on regeneration of peripheral nerves.Molecular Ther. 2005; 12: 314-320https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymthe.2005.03.032
- The growth-associated protein GAP-43 appears in dorsal root ganglion cells and in the dorsal horn of the rat spinal cord following peripheral nerve injury.Neurosci. 1990; 34: 465-478https://doi.org/10.1016/0306-4522(90)90155-w
- TMEM16A confers receptor-activated calcium-dependent chloride conductance.Nature. 2008; 455: 1210-1215https://doi.org/10.1038/nature07313
- Interleukin-2 gene therapy of chronic neuropathic pain.Neuroscience. 2002; 112: 409-416https://doi.org/10.1016/s0306-4522(02)00078-7
- The association between the expression of PAR2 and TMEM16A and neuropathic pain.Mol Med Rep. 2018; 17: 3744-3750https://doi.org/10.3892/mmr.2017.8295
- Ethical guidelines for investigations of experimental pain in conscious animals.Pain. 1983; 16: 109-110https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3959(83)90201-4
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Partially supported by Conacyt (Grant A1-S-40015 to VG-S) and SEP-Cinvestav (Grants 129 to VG-S and 269 to JM).
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.